It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photograph of Islands of Mars, with 'Trees''?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Martian Sand Dunes in Spring and.. 'Trees'? Well to our perception they look like trees:

LINK to NASA

Martian Sand Dunes in Spring
Mars’ northern-most sand dunes are beginning to emerge from their winter cover of seasonal carbon dioxide (dry) ice. Dark, bare south-facing slopes are soaking up the warmth of the sun.
The steep lee sides of the dunes are also ice-free along the crest, allowing sand to slide down the dune. Dark splotches are places where ice cracked earlier in spring, releasing sand. Soon the dunes will be completely bare and all signs of spring activity will be gone.
This image was acquired by the HiRISE camera aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter on Jan. 16, 2014. The University of Arizona, Tucson, operates the HiRISE camera, which was built by Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp., Boulder, Colo. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Project for the NASA Science Mission Directorate, Washington.

Could be similar to or in fact vegetation which grows through the martian seasons?

Pictures were taken by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter on Jan. 16, 2014.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Been posted many times on ATS.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 17-3-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by skyblueworld

Could be similar to or in fact vegetation which grows through the martian seasons?

Not even close.

Strange Mars Photo Includes Tantalizing 'Tree' Illusion

www.space.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

OMG, not only "trees" but I spotted a Martian man and his little boy standing and waving to the satellite…

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
How was this misread and interpreted as trees?

The steep lee sides of the dunes are also ice-free along the crest, allowing sand to slide down the dune. Dark splotches are places where ice cracked earlier in spring, releasing sand.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

boymonkey74
Been posted many times on ATS.

edit on 17-3-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

Yes with this being the more recent image..

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

tsurfer2000h
How was this misread and interpreted as trees?

The steep lee sides of the dunes are also ice-free along the crest, allowing sand to slide down the dune. Dark splotches are places where ice cracked earlier in spring, releasing sand.

www.nasa.gov...

Start of my OP says...

Well to our perception they look like trees:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

tsurfer2000h

Not even close.

Strange Mars Photo Includes Tantalizing 'Tree' Illusion

www.space.com...

So they say...

Not the best link but more photos here:
More photos

They 'look' like trees was the start of my OP people!

I never claimed they were.

Would be nice to have a close up picture.
edit on 17-3-2014 by skyblueworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

And yet the title does, so how is it your not saying they are trees when your title says it so clear.

This is not what the title of the article says, so where did the trees come up for the title of this thread not NASA?

In fact the article you linked doesn't even mention trees so you are the only one calling them trees, why?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

tsurfer2000h

And yet the title does, so how is it your not saying they are trees when your title says it so clear.

This is not what the title of the article says, so where did the trees come up for the title of this thread not NASA?

In fact the article you linked doesn't even mention trees so you are the only one calling them trees, why?

The ? next to trees is a clue! It was a question, do they look like trees to you?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

The ? next to trees is a clue! It was a question, do they look like trees to you?

You would have been better to say possibly trees.

And why would I have linked the story on space.com if I thought they were trees?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

intrptr

OMG, not only "trees" but I spotted a Martian man and his little boy standing and waving to the satellite…

What you have there sonny jim, is a martian strawman, to protect that there martian corn.

Have you EVER seen how merciless those martian crows are???

They love them some martian corn...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

How about we provide a bit more information about this image:

The Actual Original Link With Information From HiRISE

In the link, you'll find many different format sizes and format types for the image.

We also see exactly where on Mars this image was taken, and from a height of 320 km (200 miles).

That the image resolution is 64.2 cm/per pixel, giving that objects up to 193 cm can be resolved.

We can see that the sun from the surface of Mars at that point was 30 deg above the horizon, and we can see in the image shadows being cast by rises in the surface.

Not seeing any shadows being cased by the "trees" and at almost 2 meters resolution, I would think we could see that....if they were "trees" sticking up.

Let us look at the image with a different orientation (turned 180 degrees):

Looks a lot more like erosion run off than trees.

Which makes sense because the "trees" are following a down hill slope......and not sticking up in the air.

top topics

join