It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACEBOOK rushes to defense of dog that mauled 4-year-old boy...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

Yes, but I'll bet your dogs also see themselves as subordinate to your family. That doesn't mean you don't love them and view them as family members, but you are also aware that they are large, powerful dogs and you have raised and trained them accordingly and don't make the mistake of letting them think they are in charge.

As you said, you know what you're doing, and your dogs are happy because of it.

One of my best friends from college has a mastiff and a Rhodesian, he has those dogs so well controlled that my 3-year-old was sitting under the mastiff's muzzle playing with his toy, and the dog was completely focused on his owner and the treats. There was never, ever any hint of any aggression, let alone an attempt to take the toy to play with it. But, my friend and his wife know how to raise and train their dogs.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

What do you answer to this:

Will the death of the dog change anything to the situation? NO. Just the worthless parents that want vengeance. It is simple murder for no good reason other than to satisfy their little ego. Who is supposed to be the most intelligent species remind me?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Agreed.

I raised two babies with two older pitbulls and no incidents. The kids were told since they became mobile not to touch the dogs stuff, or bug them when they were asleep. This was for the kids to learn really because the dogs were big softies. I had more problems with my next dog because he had such a strong herding instinct that he'd grab the kids by the ankle if they started to run. They learnt not to run near the dog

I also taught them to always ask a dog owner if they can pet their dogs and to leave them alone if no adult was around. No dog or child is fool proof and eternal vigilance is always needed.

If my dog did this I would put it down, though, without a second thought.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Actually I would agree that this dog, with it's history of agressiveness, and the level of damage it did, needs to be put down.

But, that is not 'treating a dog like a dog'. We have capital punishment where we also put down humans that have proven they cannot conduct themselves without homicidal violence in our society.

This dog will have to be put down, and that cannot be reversed at this time. I would also have the caretakers of the dog and the parents of the child taken to legal task for their part in this incident as well, the dog's owners for not raising the dog properly and not keeping it restrained and in a location that would have prevented this, and the caretakers and parents of the child for not watching properly over their child (NOTING that this dog was restrained - not properly -but the caretakers COULD have prevented this if they were watching the child as they should have been). There IS enough guilt to go around, and it should be spread around to all of them, as they are all responsible for this child's severe injury AND the impending execution of the dog.

Dogs may not be people, but just like people, if not raised properly, will be a hazard to the rest of the society. They are intelligent, self-aware, capable of love or hate, of violence or restraint, capable of selfish behaviour, and capable of giving their life to save others, and that all depends on how they are treated and raised. Much like this dog went exxtreme against a small child due to its obvious lack of training and respect for children, the same dog, raised properly, may have someday been capable of saving the life of such a child too.

I've known evil dogs, and evil people. Hate them both. But I don't generalize against all people because one person is evil. Same with dogs.

I know a lot of parents that could learn a lot from a responsible dog owner.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Anyone actively involved in this camapaign to save the dog, willing to take the dog? Not even its owner wants him...

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
And just to add to that...

Rescued dog returns the favor, saves owner from carbon monoxide poisoning

This dog came from an animal shelter, rescued by this old man. And in the middle of the night, the dog is pulling and biting at the man's arm so bad, he thought his dog had went mad. But when he called 911 for help and it arrived, they found lethal levels of carbon monoxide in the house.

And that is what a subservient dumb as a bug creature does?

Kill this dog in question, but don't let the dog owner or the parents and babysitter off the hook, they must be punished too.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

LadySkadi
Anyone actively involved in this camapaign to save the dog, willing to take the dog? Not even its owner wants him...

Well they are uninformed idiots. Feel-gooders. Probably think all people are good too,and there should be no jails, and if we just let everyone do as they please it would be all rainbows and happiness for all.

Better they spend their money making an example of the dog owner to prevent another dog from being raised in such a manner.

It's too late for this dog, damage is done.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Thing is ... anyone who has a small child knows that children can get away from you no matter how carefully you watch them. Short of tying them up with a leash, there is just no way you can ensure constant, 100% vigilance all the time, so if you have a food aggressive dog like this, you are inviting trouble until the kid is old enough to learn, and really understand, to let well enough alone.

This is not a good situation.

Look, my parents have a cat that is psychotically unpredictable, and it gives us ulcers every time our son visits because no matter how closely you watch both of them, there is always that chance ...
edit on 17-3-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This is really sad! I have a large breed dog bull mastiff and 3 little kids my kids know not to touch anything like his bones or to try touch him or his bowl while eating, he is the most friendly dog ever he has grown up with my kids never ever tried to hurt them just lick them excessively and he did used to try jump at them when excited to see them but we taught him quick smart thats not on. I think you cant place full blame on just the dog, trying to save the dog after it has done that to a child though is stupid in my opinion i dont know if its a fact but i have heard alot that if they attack once they will more than likely do that again. Correct me anyone if i am wrong though! I think Parents need to take responsibility with teaching their children to respect the dog & its property, mainly its food i think that is just common sense, my dog im fairly certain more than likely wouldn't do anything if my kids did touch him while eating or touch his bones because we have taught him its okay but i like to take steps of preventing anything from happening, because like humans we don't know if a animal will just snap, so if your gonna have fur babies near your real babies you have to teach them both to respect eachother and just like you don't let the dog chew on their toys, you don't let them touch the dogs stuff.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Shana91aus

I would make bets that your dog would be much more likely to give its life to save your kids rather than to risk them over a bone.

That's how a good dog is raised.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

freedomSlave
Cats and dogs know full well that children are off limits they are not stupid animals . My cat swatted at my son once and got a beating she doesn't do it any more cat just takes what ever the kids throw at it why because they are not stupid . No some dog did this to any one of my children dog would be put down right there by myself . I know many people and dogs with kids they all treat kids the same way regardless of taking away their bone or food these are domesticated animals not bears.

Ever cross path of a bear and her cub see how well that works .

How is it that folks can assume that dogs, cats or any other creature that is not us, still have the ability to think and reason like us? Do you really know what goes on in the brain of any animal? Can you relate and empathize with their acute senses or instinct? And of course cats are not stupid. Stupidity is an exclusively human trait.

Just like with a child, companion animals need guidance, a positive and secure environment. Hitting your cat was the result of having not already set the parameters in a bit more gentle manner.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
That dog needs to be put down, sadly, but not for it being categorized as a pit bull. It's the history it has behind killing a dog previous to this attack. Yes, the child should be supervised especially around dogs it did not grow up with. Yes, the dog owners are at fault for letting this dog be easy to access. And yes, the child should have been taught beforehand never to approach a dog unless permission is granted and to never reach for its food source, even if said dog isn't food aggressive. That said, this dog was not trained to recognize a child as something different than an adult or other dog. Pit bulls aren't always aggressive even with the purpose of their breed being bred into them.

My sister was given a pit bull as a rescue from someone who used him in dog fights. He was heavily dog aggressive and displayed severe territorial and dominance issues with her bull mastiff/german shepherd mix. There were times when the pit bull would break his chain, destroy the fence, and fight the mastiff/shepherd. I will say it was my sister's fault on him ever getting loose and for allowing the mastiff mix to roam freely knowing his presence will antagonize the chain pit bull. The catch? All you had to do was act as if you were going to get between them. The pit bull would drop it and head back to his part of the yard. (The mastiff/shepherd was never aggressive, only defending himself when the pit would come at him.) The pit bull was very well trained, even to the point of rolling over whenever a child approached. Whenever he heard a child crying, he would become alert and closely watch any adult around the child. If you were playing tug of war and he moved to get a better hold, he will completely drop the rope until you move your hand. His previous owner, despite using him for sick purposes, took care in maintaining a dog they could actually interact with. He is only one example, however, and not meant to be the poster child for his breed. Why I shared that was for the fact that training a dog should be at the top of your list regardless of what you plan on using the dog for.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Just as you want no one taking your personal property neither should that dog be expected to relinquish it's property simply because a child wanted to play with it. The dog didn't even belong to the child in the first place so there really is no argument, for said child entered a neighboring property w/o permission and attempted to take something from a dog that was unknown to said child.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well as long as they put the baby's caregivers and owner-s down too Im fine with it. Lets put responsability where it belongs.
edit on 2014u37201403am18 by Yusomad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

And it's obviously in humanities best interests to put down every human that has ever showed aggression towards another human being as they simply can't be trusted once such behavior has been shown.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

CharlieSpeirs
reply to post by ketsuko

Nothing worse than a facetious, know-it-all who assumes everything!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can say that again.

Can you identify these statements?

Have you ever owned a PitBull???
Or is this just another massive generalisation out of this Thread???
Another PitBull Know-It-All... When will people learn!!!

This is the best way to deal with the situation!!!

You do have to realise German Shepherds as powerful as they are, are not so defensive as a Pit...
Secondly from experience......

it's always the owners fault IMO...

Have you ever owned a Dog???
I'm gonna say No!!!

However this post I reply to... Complete ignorance, probably from lack of Education on the subject!

Another Know-It-All response from someone who who hasn't had a Dog, & admittedly sees Dogs as a lower life form!!!

I'm done with this thread, I've said all I need to!

You have no idea what you are talking about...
& so I will not entertain this...

It is not a debate...
It's experience being ignored by narrow-mindedness & admitted "hate"!!!

Nothing worse than a facetious, know-it-all who assumes everything!!!
Well done, you managed 3 different traits that make me see Humans as the lower lifeform!!!
Power of speech proving to have negative sides as well I guess!!!

Don't touch a Dog's Bone or Toys...
Not blaming the Child at all, it's a shame he has such PissPoor Parents!!!
It's also a shame the Dog's owner didn't have him on a lead, tightly held, another who is PissPoor when it comes to responsibility!!!

But again I'll say never touch a Dog's Bone or Toys, especially PitBulls & Staffordshire Bull Terriers!!!

You really should read the TOS first off. You'll understand the part where you're not here to attack others, which you seem to do pretty often. Secondly, for someone that spouts about others being a "know it all", I would love to see your credentuals as a dog therapist or having a degree in dog psychology. Other than that, you're just like anyone else with an opinion who may or may not have owned a pitbull. If you do, some could cosider that bias. I've owned a lot of dogs in my life as well. Everything from a border collie, to a lab, to a bull, to a pit and there are obvious differences in temperment in all of those dogs. Training has a lot to do with temperment, but it's not a science and not a fact 100% of the time.

The point is still, the dog should be put down because of it's actions. It's an angry dog. It may not even be the owners fault. They may have gotten the dog from someone else and had no idea it was this way. Killing another dog is different than hurting a kid. I had a pit named bruser. It was a fighting dog, bred to kill other dogs. It was missing one eye from it. We rescued it from a guy we knew who was doing this because we felt horrible for the dog. This same dog would NEVER hurt another kid or adult. I had a young cousin who would pull on his ears and instead of bitting, he would just cry out. But if you put him around another dog, he would destroy it. Still, if that dog, no matter how much we loved him, hurt another person, I would have destroyed it... One shot to the head!

At the same time, I've seen pits that will be friendly one moment but will be TOO friendly another and draw blood. You can't trust them... any large dog. They will always be a chance and a danger. If you're prepared for that kind of responsibility, so be it. Doesn't change the fact that they are a potentual hazard.
edit on 18-3-2014 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

_damon
reply to post by StallionDuck

What do you answer to this:

Will the death of the dog change anything to the situation? NO. Just the worthless parents that want vengeance. It is simple murder for no good reason other than to satisfy their little ego. Who is supposed to be the most intelligent species remind me?

It takes a potentual threat out of the system. It stops the dog from hurting another kid. Its the same reason we execute prisoners. The damage has already been done. Now it's time to prevent any more from taking place.

1 dead dog
1 mauled kids face

I think it's time to act and put the dog down.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

any large dog.

Should read any dog. Large ones are generally no more danger than smaller ones. Only due to their size, and bumping or jumping, whereas smaller ones generally are more prone to nipping and biting.

Vet's words.
I just happen to agree.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

chiefsmom
reply to post by buster2010

I actually know alot about dog breeds. You completely missed the point. Yes, they are both great dogs, yet, he still nipped at the kid.
That was the point. Because the child did NOT listen, and the mother of the child is an idiot. And dogs can only take so much, no matter the breed.

I have an Old english bulldog, and a boxer. Both wonderful with children. But I'm not going to let children climb all over them, or leave them unattended.

While the dog should not have done what it did, this was the adults fault 100%.

Dogs can only take so much? The kid picked up it's bone. If the kid was hitting it with a stick I could understand the dog protecting itself but this is not the case. The idiot in this case is the person that owns a dog without training it and pittbull being the violent breed that it is needs extra training from day one.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

DexteramLucifer
reply to post by ketsuko

And it's obviously in humanities best interests to put down every human that has ever showed aggression towards another human being as they simply can't be trusted once such behavior has been shown.

And what would we have if we did this? A far more peaceful world. But first you would have to learn the difference between defense and aggression.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join