It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACEBOOK rushes to defense of dog that mauled 4-year-old boy...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I think thats one of the biggest difficulties facing the canine world right now, the issue is compounded with specific breeds because of the "image" that society puts on them. A lot of people like that image, and they probably arent people that should own dogs. Even worse, they breed them!

Beyond that, even the large organizations standards are becoming more and more about aesthetics than actual function. There are even several popular breeds that, as a general rule of thumb, cant give birth naturally. They need c-sections. To me, that seems like nature is saying "No."

So, the legitimate and completely acceptable breeders are destroying their breeds for looks, and then on the other end you have the outright criminal backyard breeder projects. BOTH result in unhealthy canines, in many ways. However, when a breed is stigmatized, it makes it much more appealing regardless of the actual attributes of the breed. When that happens, the rise in backyard breeders breeding specifically for unstable dogs skyrockets. Making it "illegal" or "banning" it makes the problems worse.

There are plenty of independent breeders that are doing things "correctly," but it tends to result in official organizations forcing them under a new breed name.

Maybe the biggest shame in all of this is that the adults involved probably wont learn anything at all, and the child may be terrified of dogs for the rest of their life. Dogs have been by mankinds side for a very, very long time. To not experience such a generational relationship seems a bit of a tragedy.
edit on 17-3-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Yeah let's blame the Dog for acting on its instincts and give a free pass to the parents for allowing a small child near a dog with a bone.

If its instincts tell it to go and have a four year old kid for dinner then it deserves to die.

A dog is just a dog, it is a beast, its only purpose is to be subservient to us humans, it does not deserve any rights, it is not self aware, it does not "love you" that is just more of its "instincts" the same " instincts" that told it to go attack a kid.

you people who "love rex the family dog" do my head it, its a dog. its not a substitute for a child or absence of a spouse.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Have you ever owned a Dog???
I'm gonna say No!!!

Dogs are more than self-aware, more so than most Humans who apparently these Animals should be "subservient" too!!!

& they don't love us???
But how would you know this???
You've never been away from a Dog of your own for more than a couple of hours to see the Love they have for us when we return!!!

Your 1st post was generalised, but the pro freedom of speech gave you a bit of "well ok fair enough" from me!!!

However this post I reply to... Complete ignorance, probably from lack of Education on the subject!

Let me just say if the Child was "Dinner"... To a PitBull... At full offensive aggression...
This Thread would be about a Child who died!!!

It's not though is it... It's a case of stupid parents... And a completely irresponsible owner!!!

Another Know-It-All response from someone who who hasn't had a Dog, & admittedly sees Dogs as a lower life form!!!

I'm done with this thread, I've said all I need to!

Peace everybody!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CharlieSpeirs

I hate pets

All pets.

A animal is just that, this dog deserves to die, it harmed a child.

Kill it, kill it like a wasp that sings you or a germ on a chopping board.

Dogs love only through instinct, they do not "care for you" they do not have the capacity to feel emotion as we do.

they are not self aware stop trying to substitute a dog for a human.

Dogs and all animals only deserve two things, to not be harmed unnecessarily and to be subservient to humans.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

You have no idea what you are talking about...
& so I will not entertain this...

It is not a debate...
It's experience being ignored by narrow-mindedness & admitted "hate"!!!

I'll be in another thread... Denying Ignorance!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CharlieSpeirs

I have had pets, I was raised in a house with pets, my sister had a dog, my other sister got a horse and so on.

I think i even had some gold fish and a rabbit at one point.

dont just assume because i disagree with you i must be totally ignorant.

I think Dogs are just sub-human slaves basically, they only exist to serve us be that working, as pets or for conducting scientific tests on they only exist to serve us.

you think differently, which is fine but i completely disagree with you and I dont think i have accused you of being ignorant. Yet.

Each to his own after all, like i said it all comes down to freedom of speech and i have as much right to go on about how i hate pets as you do to go on about how much you love the cuddly little fur balls.

.... "MOON THE DUGS!!!"

edit on 17-3-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

CharlieSpeirs
reply to post by StallionDuck

Don't touch a Dog's Bone or Toys...
Not blaming the Child at all, it's a shame he has such PissPoor Parents!!!
It's also a shame the Dog's owner didn't have him on a lead, tightly held, another who is PissPoor when it comes to responsibility!!!

But again I'll say never touch a Dog's Bone or Toys, especially PitBulls & Staffordshire Bull Terriers!!!

If you have a Shotgun and someone enters your Space to pick up your property chances are they're gonna get Shot!!!

Don't generalise us who feel for the Dog as choosing him over the Child!!!
You OP are obviously biased enough to call this wonderful Animal a "Beast"!!!
Which means I can already say quite confidently that you have never had a Staff or a PitBull....
If your sitting there with your Mobile on a table in front of you and I walk up & take it, I'm sure you would react to your property being manhandled by an unknown!!!

Staffs & Pits are the best Dogs you could have, very Human & Child friendly... But even their owners know their property is off limits!!!

"Where were the parents at???"
"Where was the Dog's owner???"

That's where the blame lies...solely!!!
edit on 17-3-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

If not a beast, then what else would an animal be?

You're acting as though a dog can own property, as a human being. You also say that the dog isn't at fault but at the same time you generalize pit bulls yourself by saying "Don't touch a dog's toys.. ESPECIALLY a pit bull. You generalised it the same way you said I did. My point was... An animal, ANY animal's life is worth less than that of a human being, especially a childs. When said animal attacks a child, who has more right to exist when it boils down to it? The child, in my opinion. If that animal is aggressive, it should have been there, in an unfenced yard. If it was aggressive, it should have been put down the first time. THat first time was an indication of what was going to happen this very next time.

It saddens me to think that people will compare animals to themselves or other humans. I say, if it's so, then the next time there is a choice between the life of an animal and theirs, I should choose the animal because they are greater, right? If even equal, the animal is more innocent so it should live before a human, by those standards.

I don't harm animals for my own personal reasons that are deep seated in morals. Though, I will destroy any animal should it bring harm to a human, violently even, even if that animal has done no harm to a human but I see it as aggressive. Why? Because it WILL harm someone given the chance.

We're not talking apples and apples here either. If your pit bull runs up to me aggressivley, wether or not it intends to bite me, It will be a dead pit bull. If your taco bell dog runs up to me like it wan't to bite me.. I'd laugh my butt off. Why? Because I KNOW what a pit bull can do. That exact same breed seen in that picture is the same breed my uncle has. Sure, it loves people but I also see a demon in that dog. Given the chance, it would KILL someone quickly and with ease. That dog has serious power. I feel it when he runs around the whole 2 achre property and side swipes me on the way back and knocks me to my behind. I know how much unbelievable power it has when I TRY to hold on to it with a chain. I'm a 230lb guy. That dog drags me around like a ragdoll. I've played with him before... ONCE. He got a little too aggressive and it was hard to stop the escalation. He bit down on my hand, just playing... and damn near crushed it. His front teeth drew blood and it hurt like hell! If you owned one, you'd know just how dangerous they are, even if "considered" gentle. This dog is gentle too, until you don't see it coming. He doesn't know his own strength. To have an animal like this without keeping access away from others is insane!

You're wrong about me not having any large animals also.

I had an Old English Bulldog named Buster. He is a Hermis breed. He's massive!

He was always submissive to me. Everytime I looked him in the eyes, he put his head to the ground and looked down. He was scared of me. ...until his "nutz dropped". We played like we did every day. For a 100lb dog, it was not so easy to get away from if he got on top. One day he started playing too hard and it scared the hell out of me. I never played with him that way since until I gave him away. I knew if he got more aggressive... this so submissive dog... than he did in that moment, he would have killed me and nothing my wife could have done could have gotten him off me. And this wasn't even a pit bull. This was a gentle beast of a dog, known for loving it's owners and not being overly aggressive.

ALL big dogs should be treated as possible damage dealers. That yard should have had a fence, not to keep the dog in, but to keep others out.

Even if the parents are at fault... that dog should be put down because it's aggressive! Plain and simple. I didn't argue that the parents or neighbors were not at fault.. I argued that people who saw this dog as innocent over a child should really evaluate human life again because they're WRONG. This dog is aggressive. Aggressive dogs should be put down!

The child was running past. The dog jumped on the kid. As a parent, I know it only takes a blink of an eye for a kid to go from here to gone... It doesnt matter how close you watch your kids. Stuff happens. Add an aggressive dog to the mix... There will be problems.

Lastly.. Is your argument always beginning with "You sound like you never owned a dog... I bet you never owned a dog... You must have never owned a pitbull...." Like that makes any difference.

edit on 17-3-2014 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

So by association, if ever we find a race more advanced than us, its only fair that we become their subservient slaves, ya?
Forfeit all your rights and all. Since that's how you seem to see life, in a clear hierarchy based on our understanding of intellect.

That's a terrible way to think my friend...

Your view saddens me. =\

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

DexteramLucifer
It's not the dog's fault. As was clearly stated in the op, the child was in the act of picking up the dogs bone. I dare you to name any breed of dog that's just going to let someone walk up it take it's food. That dog doesn't know that child meant no harm, all it knows is that there was an immediate threat to it's food source and acted accordingly. Just as most everyone here happily claims to have no problem putting a bullet in a wanna be thief, so to did the dog protect his/her property ( by any means necessary ).
edit on 17-3-2014 by DexteramLucifer because: one to many of the same word

Actually, quite a few dogs of any breed will if they've been properly raised and trained. So the owners are to fault for not handling this animal the way they should.

However, now that the animal is food aggressive, there's not much that can be done without very careful and proper handling to correct the mistakes of the past. Obviously, the owners are not capable of this.

It's likely in everyone's best interests to put the dog down.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

CharlieSpeirs

Dogs are more than self-aware, more so than most Humans who apparently these Animals should be "subservient" too!!!

& they don't love us???
But how would you know this???
You've never been away from a Dog of your own for more than a couple of hours to see the Love they have for us when we return!!!

You have a Chihuahua who gets manicures and toenail polish don't you?

Let me just say if the Child was "Dinner"... To a PitBull... At full offensive aggression...
This Thread would be about a Child who died!!!

It's not though is it... It's a case of stupid parents... And a completely irresponsible owner!!!

Admittedly, but all these factors cannot change the fact that a child was mauled, the dog did the mauling proving that it cannot be trusted not to maul again, and it is entirely possible that the owners felt about their dog the same way you do and led to the ruining of the poor animal which has no put its life in jeopardy. I have no use for a pet that I cannot trust around my children. Mauling them is hardly a loving act, and as cruel as it seems to you, my children will always come first.

Another Know-It-All response from someone who who hasn't had a Dog, & admittedly sees Dogs as a lower life form!!!

I'm done with this thread, I've said all I need to!

Peace everybody!

Like it or not, dogs are a lower life form. If they weren't, they'd be capable of telling the 4-year-old to leave their bone alone by other means than savaging them with teeth and hyper-powerful jaw muscles. You know, I'm thinking power of speech and such.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

iammrhappy86

So by association, if ever we find a race more advanced than us, its only fair that we become their subservient slaves, ya?
Forfeit all your rights and all. Since that's how you seem to see life, in a clear hierarchy based on our understanding of intellect.

That's a terrible way to think my friend...

Your view saddens me. =\

If you chewed up some superior alien's kid, then he has every right so shoot you.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

VoidHawk

DexteramLucifer
It's not the dog's fault. As was clearly stated in the op, the child was in the act of picking up the dogs bone. I dare you to name any breed of dog that's just going to let someone walk up it take it's food. That dog doesn't know that child meant no harm, all it knows is that there was an immediate threat to it's food source and acted accordingly. Just as most everyone here happily claims to have no problem putting a bullet in a wanna be thief, so to did the dog protect his/her property ( by any means necessary ).
edit on 17-3-2014 by DexteramLucifer because: one to many of the same word

I agree with you entirely!
This IS the fault of the adukts, not the dog. I've had dogs and children and I always taught them to have respect for the dog, and we never had any problems. Other members of my family have had dogs and children too, and the same rules applied, RESPECT the dog!
If parents want to have a dog while they have young children THEY MUST BE RESPONSIBLE.

Free the dog - Lock up the adults!

i whole completely disagree with your stance.....any animal that is capable of mauling a child or an adult needs to be put down,i have kids and dogs and if one of my dogs bit anybody i would put the dog down myself..

your are right in that kids need to be taught respect for dogs and more importantly dogs need to taught respect of the human hand that feeds them,especially kids as they are naive...i once had my dog try and bite me when i took away its food and i taught it tolerance and have not ever had a problem,had it not learnt from the experience it would have been put down

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Mahahahahaaha awesome

I agree with many a dog must have one chance only, If it draws blood in anger it can not be trusted and should be put down.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Serdgiam

SprocketUK
reply to post by Serdgiam

Sorry, from what I understood, pitbulls are a specific breed, in fact pitbulls are banned in the UK due to the hype over them.
Maybe it's a transatlantic thing?
Most folks wouldn't equate staffys and pits at all apart from the bulldog heritage.

There is no officially recognized breed of "Pit Bull" by any of the "main" organizations, UK or US.

Actually, in looking at it, wiki has some pretty good info on the topic.

What is interesting though, is that the potential of the general standard is astounding. When you look at everything from therapy dogs to all kinds of working environments, it is a standard that can really excel and has the titles to prove it.

That probably explains why the UK pitbull ban is such a mess then.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Nothing worse than a facetious, know-it-all who assumes everything!!!
Well done, you managed 3 different traits that make me see Humans as the lower lifeform!!!
Power of speech proving to have negative sides as well I guess!!!

Instead of asking me what dog I have, you told me what dog I have!!!
I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - Vizla cross breed... Not a Chihuahua!!!

Instead of asking how I raise & feel about my Dog, you told me!!!
My Dog is well trained, very obedient & all before he is 6 months old... Very trustworthy with other Humans!!!
I do not treat my Dog like the owners of the Dog from the OP, I'm not nearly stupid enough to leave him alone outside, off of a lead...that won't change until the day one of us passes away!!!

Yes it's all well & good saying children come first, in most cases I'd agree, including this case...
But If Parents leave their child to be mauled, well it's still not just deserts, because the child never deserves it...
But the parents & owner are to blame, not the Dog!!!
I hope the boy makes a full recovery and the dog is taken away from the owner!

I've explained why in many posts, so I won't repeat myself, you can scroll upwards for my opinion!!!

I'd be very appreciative if you do not reply to me on this thread again... If you do feel he need to... Really badly... Still don't!!!

Peace Ketsuko!

edit on 17-3-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct & Restructured Post!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Read the post MrHappy was replying too...
It wasn't anything to do with maulings...
The gentleman said Dogs are our slaves and should be used for medical experiments!!!

So I pose MrHappy's question to you again, this time in its original context?

Peace Navy!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by NavyDoc

Mahahahahaaha awesome

I agree with many a dog must have one chance only, If it draws blood in anger it can not be trusted and should be put down.

Have you ever made anyone bleed? If so, you should be put down too.

We shouldn't get to chose who lives and who doesn't.... That's just wrong.

Killing out if survival is one thing.
Out of punishment for a misunderstanding (in which case the fault CLEARLY lies in those who are expected to KNOW BETTER and let it happen....), that's just shallow minded.

Its so sad to see that this generation stopped raising their children..... Just let them run wild and punish whatever was unlucky enough to be in its path..

Had the dog chased after the kid unprovoked, this would be a totally different story. Hardly debatable.

But that is NOT what happened.....

This would never happen with my family.
Because at 4 years old, they'll want to touch everything.... Thats when you pay extra close attention.

I'm losing faith in this generation's parenting....its beyond pathetic.
edit on 3/17/2014 by iammrhappy86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by iammrhappy86

There is a big difference between a child provoking a dog and food aggression. This was food aggression.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
So as a long time owner of many many pit bulls and other large breeds, I thought I would give my two cents.

I have certainly been to houses with pits and thought "Why would these people get a pit bull?"
Pit's aren't for everyone, and I would even go as far to say in the dog world, the pit bull is the "Experts Only" breed.

My family has preferred pit bulls over other breeds for a lot of reasons, but we spend a lot of time with our dogs and happen to have zero incidents so far with the 6 pits we've owned over the last 20 years or so. My family lives in a rural area and we want dogs that we can count on to back us up when we need it. We are aware that they are large, powerful animals and they could do damage if they wanted to. We put in the time and effort to ensure that won't happen.

A key to our choice in pit bulls is their outwardly obvious intelligence. I do think a lot of this has to do with how the dog is brought up. Our dogs are treated as a member of the family, and I do believe they see themselves as tiny lapdogs

Someone mentioned something along the lines of "What breed of dog would let you walk up and take its food/bone?".....well, both my 90lb male and my 70lb female will let any one of the 5 members of my family to do just that. We put in the necessary time and effort with our animals to create these kinds of behaviors.

With all that being said, if our dog attacked a child (ours or otherwise) the dog would almost certainly be shot shortly thereafter.
I also agree with the posters saying the dog owners need to be held more responsible for the actions of their dogs.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by iammrhappy86

Having been bit by a mentally disturbed dog twice for no reason and seeing that animal continue biting others I stand by my statement.
The dog in question killed another dog before and alarm bells should have been raised.
Granted it is the fault of the owners and the babysitter but what do you want to do? allow that dog the chance to do harm again? sorry but we can not cure mental dogs.

Dogs should be treated as dogs and not like people.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join