It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

FACEBOOK rushes to defense of dog that mauled 4-year-old boy...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:28 AM

I think the main issue here is that the parents/guardians were negligent. The issue is not that the dog mauled the child, as it was purely reactionary. Our main effort should be towards putting responsibility and liability in the hands of the legal/current guardian... not the dog. A dog is a deadly animal. Doesn't matter what breed, or the supposed temperament of the animal... a dog can kill a person. That is a massive responsibility, that our society under-appreciates terribly.

If a child drank paint thinner off the counter, is the issue that paint thinner is dangerous or is the issue that a guardian didn't prevent it? The paint thinner was purchased and transported by an adult, and was put there by an adult, and then left with the child. Accident or not, it is negligence. I argue that it is exactly the same with a dog. Again, forget about whether or not the dog should be put down. Just consider that it is entirely the guardian's fault that this happened. Any dog savvy person will tell you that a small child around a large dog taking the dog's toy is a seriously #ed up situation that could go wrong a million different ways. It is incredibly reckless to enable such a situation to come about.

This was entirely preventable, and is not the fault of the child or the dog.

Edit: Just to clarify, I absolute love dogs. I do not think that they are "vicious animals" or anything like that. I am of the mind that an owner needs to be legally responsible for their dog's actions. Dogs are complex, dogs are simple, and dogs are beautiful... but they are not responsible for their actions. They are bred, bought and owned. They are a product of their environment. An adult decides to bring these beautiful things into their home, and so they need to be ENTIRELY responsible for whatever happens.

Edit2: Also, I feel bad for the guardian[s] and the child. I am not saying that the guardians are bad. People make mistakes, and a surprising number of people [even in the first world] are incredibly uneducated when it comes to owning dogs. Our society has failed us such that we fail our little four legged friends.
edit on 17-3-2014 by LeviWardrobe because: (no reason given)

This is such a well-articulated point.

You put two unpredictable creatures into one room, and you have unpredictable outcomes. This was negligence, pure and simple.

I wonder if people would outlaw campfires were a child left alone with one and burned by the fire. Hmmmmm...

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:30 AM
reply to post by n00bUK

You're telling me that a Yorkshire terrier or something even like a border collie could inflict the same damage as a Pit Bull or a Bullmastiff? - See more at:

Are you hearing/seeing things?

You even quoted what was said, that was along the lines of any dog can be deadly not that all dogs can inflict the same damage.

just look at Great Danes for example, their beasty but no way would one ever do something like this, - See more at:

Google is your friend mate

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:32 AM

I wonder if people would outlaw campfires were a child left alone with one and burned by the fire. Hmmmmm...

Only the ones they perceived as "scary!"

But yeah, dont go givin' people ideas...

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:34 AM
reply to post by n00bUK

this is a made up statistic but I'd say over 60% of dog owners have no way near the knowledge and determination of to train their dogs how you do,m or in fact teach their kids how to be around their dogs and others. If all people had this kind of attitude then this type of # wouldn't happen. But because the world is full of people who are dumb as #, we have to put things in place so their dumbness doesn't effect anybody else..Like this story and the other dozen I'v heard of this year alone.

Totally agree with you on this, I would put the percentage even higher.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:36 AM
reply to post by InhaleExhale

A Border Collie is one of the toughest breeds to work..

Someone I knew was quite literally gutted by one years ago. It took out the side wall of his torso, wasnt pretty. He did survive though, with minimal problems (after it healed). Of course, it was considered a fluke because of the breed... Ignorance abounds in this topic, even with so-called experts.

Dog went on to attack more people and lived a long life.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:41 AM

So the dog was potentially minding it's own business, safely chained up on it's own property, enjoying a bone when an unsupervised child enters said garden and tries to take it's bone from it?

Is that the actual course of events do we know?

Yes I believe so from another article linked later on in the thread.

Yet we have posts 'shoot that beast' 'I would shot the dog in the head'.

Why was a child in another person property, where was the child babysitter, if the child walked on the street instead of into the neighbors yard and got hit by a car, would there be a cry to destroy the car or would the question be raised, how did a 4 year old child get in the middle of the street unsupervised?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:43 AM
reply to post by buster2010

Dogs know the difference between an adult and a child and the only dogs that attack children are violent ones. The mutt needs to be put down.

Did you even read what happened and where it happened or are simple debating out of ignorance?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:47 AM

I don't know if anyone caught it in the story, but this dog is responsible for attacking and killing another dog.

Too many warning signs.

If the dog is aggressive, why did the neighbor not have a fence put up?

Yes I caught that,

So how is it the dogs responsibility there wasn't a fence or that the child was able to get to the dog in its own territory and attempt to take a bone from it?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:07 AM
reply to post by buster2010

You may want to learn a few things about breeds of dogs both the Mastiff and Great Danes are gentle breeds

Gentle is one characteristic of these breeds, funny that its also a characteristic of Pit Bulls as well.

You may want to hit books as well

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:10 AM

reply to post by StallionDuck

Excessive dog lovers are sick!

Thanks for the diagnosis Doc

Is there a cure for my ailment?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:16 AM
reply to post by UMayBRite!

Anyone who would defend such a dog is a child hater. Maybe I'm biased, I was bitten as a child.

I was too, almost 30 years actually yeah about 30 years now and I still a small scare still showing on my back, at the time it was teeth punctures covering the top half of my back yet I defend these vicious animals because these vicious animals are our responsibility like our children are also our responsibility.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:35 AM

reply to post by CharlieSpeirs

I hate pets

All pets.

A animal is just that, this dog deserves to die, it harmed a child.

Kill it, kill it like a wasp that sings you or a germ on a chopping board.

Dogs love only through instinct, they do not "care for you" they do not have the capacity to feel emotion as we do.

they are not self aware stop trying to substitute a dog for a human.

Dogs and all animals only deserve two things, to not be harmed unnecessarily and to be subservient to humans.

So why waste energy discussing things you hate?

Does hate turn you on and you need to focus on things you hate, discuss them and give your uniformed opinion?

My dogs rectum is more self aware than some things I am reading in this thread

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:42 AM

You're acting as though a dog can own property, as a human being.

A dog can own property cant it if the property is left to the dog in a their owners will?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:53 AM

Anyone actively involved in this camapaign to save the dog, willing to take the dog? Not even its owner wants him...

Yeah what responsibility.

Yeah humans are such amazing creatures. (storming off into the back room to kill myself)

Especially this owner.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:02 PM

Its the same reason we execute prisoners. The damage has already been done. Now it's time to prevent any more from taking place.

And to date how many prisoners that have been judged in such a fashion been found to be innocent after they were killed by the state?

You are not preventing anymore from taking place but preventing the chances of it happening again at the same time preventing the chance that it might not happen and one less lethal injection is needed.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:22 PM
reply to post by stumason

Every time we here of a dog mauling a human, it is nearly always the same breeds, over and over again. You never hear of a Labrador or Yorkshire terrier mauling people..

You might not, others have, but google is your friend if you really want to read and hear that sort of thing just do a search.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:28 PM
reply to post by stumason

but once a dog is dangerous, it is dangerous. You cannot train out the aggression in some breeds. It's like when they go after crocs or sharks that take humans - they do it because that animal has now learnt humans are not only tasty, but easy prey.

You sure can train out aggression in any breed, just as any breed can be deadly.

You keep posting your facts and will mine
for my facts
for yours

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:38 PM

Christian Voice
reply to post by JakeDMUND

Screw me? Wow, such a violent attitude from a pit bull lover. HHHMMM, picture becoming much clearer now

What is pathetic is that you perceived a violent attitude in what you are replying to, what is violent about the saying?

I could agree if you said insulting attitude or simply attitude but violent, please explain?

also what is funny on your behalf,

did you just admit to be an ignorant disgusting person?

That is to whom the other poster directed his post too.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:49 PM
Sorry to flood the thread with my Opinions on this and that concerning the thread and posts but now we have the outcome and the dog was spared.

Is the dog going to stay with the previous owner, does anyone know?

Lets hope the dog gets some rehab that it needs.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:24 PM
reply to post by Serdgiam

Ok, I agree with you on breed types and I do agree that pit bull is a broad term. You make a valid point in that aspect and I'm with you on your examples. When I mentioned pit bulls, I do imagine the more aggresive types such as most if not all Staffordshires. Now, there are others that can have just as much natural aggression, even though some of the same breeds do not. Pete, the lil rascals version was an american bulldog. Made lovable by TV. At the same time, those can be aggressive, in the same way all dogs can. Staffordshires on the other hand, can be monsters. The one in question appears to be either American bull terrier of some sort or an american staffordshire terrier but not 100% since I have no clear picture of the dog. Still, I'm not going by the term so much as I am what took place. I do still feel that most pitbull breeds should not be kept as "pets". They are guard dogs, hunting type killers and do not mix well with children.

I appreciate your response on the questions I asked. You were perfectly levelheaded in your response and you gave exactly what I was looking for.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>