It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Microsoft Offers Olive Branch To XP Counterfeit Users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Microsoft is offering an olive branch to Counterfeit XP users. The software manufacturer unveiled the Windows XP Counterfeit Project in the U.K. offering free replacements for what they describe as "high-quality" counterfeit versions of Windows XP. Anyone who is unsure if they are using bootleg / counterfeit software can submit their product for analysis. The reason for this olive branch is to compile data that can be used by authorities to act against illegal bootleggers.

www.eweek.com
Microsoft Offers Olive Branch To XP Counterfeit Users
By Ryan Naraine
November 24. 2004

The software giant on Wednesday unveiled the Windows XP Counterfeit Project in the U.K., offering free replacements for what it describes as "high-quality counterfeit versions" of Windows XP. It is not yet clear if the offer will be expanded to the United States and other international markets or if it is related to the company's Windows Genuine Advantage anti-piracy program. Microsoft officials could not be reached at press time to discuss plans for the U.S. market.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well that�s all very well and good but I paid for my Windows XP and all my windows before XP. What do I get out of all this, zip, nada, and zilch. Maybe next time I will buy a bootleg for $20 or $30 bucks.

Related News Links:
Read more here about Microsoft's Windows anti-piracy program.

[edit on 11-24-2004 by William One Sac]

[edit on 11-24-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I makes you wonder if the counterfeit might be better than the authentic operating system. I would like to know what computer manufacturers were selling computers with counterfeit software installed.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
You can buy a PC without any OS installed so you are free to purchase an OS of your choice. You could then go down to the Barras (Glasgow - Scotland) and purchase all sorts of software for little more than the price of the CD. They never have any cd/dvd's "in stock" instead you make your purchase and wait a few minutes whilst somebody leaves the premises and returns with your newly burnt cd/dvd.

Microsoft's offer was clearly thought up by a complete idiot since anyone who doesn't currently have XP can now go out and purchase a pirate copy (the Barras is open on sat-sun) and then approach Microsoft for their free official replacement. The cheapest upgrade path yet invented!

regards,

Malcolm

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Piracy is theft! Why not just use a weapon and steal a real copy yourself?

Discussing commiting or advocation of illegal things is i believe a violation of ATS rules.

All of you seeking to save a few bucks by purchasing pirated software are the reason that drives up the costs for the rest of us.
again, you are advocating criminal behaivior.

As far as quality, no knock-off product is EVER as good as the real deal...it might look similar, might seem similar, but is usually very cheaply made compared to the legitimate product.

I too have been temptd by "knock-off" goods, but know that someones job making the real deal is going to suffer, as well as copys being a crappier quality, why risk legal woes just to scrimp a few bucks?

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I hope everyone knows I was being facetious and that I was taking a swipe at Microsoft and its motives. I know a lot of people don't share my values, but the best reasons not to buy pirated software are its unreliability and the other things that might come with it. Keeping my computer maintained is enough work already without creating problems for myself.

[edit on 04/11/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   
my custom xp is far better than the rip off official version
..and the prices are up because of the greed of microsoft, not because ppl who attend piracy..
-ap

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by CazMedia

As far as quality, no knock-off product is EVER as good as the real deal...it might look similar, might seem similar, but is usually very cheaply made compared to the legitimate product.

Kazaa Lite K++ was/is about 10 times as good as the official Kazaa.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
i dont think piracy of ultra rich corporations' products is theft

i call it FAIR

i personally got my XP from my college computer store for 5$ because of some deal microsoft has w/the universitys...

anyway i love people who rip off the huge corporations

piracy is Justice!!!!!
let freedom ring baby!!!

microsoft

pirates

greed is defeated agian!
-yay

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
i am not supporting illegal activity
but i am supporting my POLITICAL viewpoint

i am agianst all greedy super ultra mega rich corporations because they destroy the enviornment and destroy commerce because they are very very greedy and unfair
they push injustice and greed

i push justice and fairness

that is why i support pirates generally
because they are the ONLY people willing to fight the evil corporations...
and i salute them for standing up for true american values and pushing true democracy

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by CazMedia
As far as quality, no knock-off productWhast makes you think that? is EVER as good as the real deal.

What makes you think that? A duplicate of a CD is just that . . . a duplicate i.e. the same product, unless you are talking about the holographs on the CD.

[edit on 25/11/04 by Ru4Real]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This makes sense from Microsofts point of view. We aren't talking about people who paid the price of a CDR and get a copy, they're going for the people who pass off Windows CDs as originals, and probably charge a bit more accordingly. By getting people coming forward who bought what turns out to be pirated software in good faith, they can track down the pirates, and protect the consumer.

Muzzleflash, I stole an old lady's purse today - it wasn't robbery, was a political statement. . .

top topics

join