It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian region votes on restoration of Venetian Republic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Seems like secession is on the menu this year.
Scotland is voting later this year, there are several American states contemplating it, Croatia just today and now Veneto in Italy.
What do you guys think is motivating people in separate regions to break away from their 'controlling' state?
ONE THING I ASK>>>PLEASE DO NOT COME ON HERE TO START ARGUING WHAT IS GOING ON IN UKRAINE/CROATIA....there are plenty of other threads for that.
I am just wondering why the ground swell in secession...and there are a lot more than just the ones I have mentioned?

Following in the footsteps of Scotland and Catalonia, Venice – the capital of the Italian region of Veneto – will be holding a referendum to form an independent republic. About 3.8 million people in the region are eligible to vote in the referendum, which runs through Friday.

Leaders of the independence movement say they are not going to wait for Rome’s approval, and if the population votes in favor they will begin the separation process. The latest polls carried out by the independence movement show that over 60 percent of the population is in favor of becoming independent.
~~~~~

“We have to fight for it [independence]. We will do it in a peaceful, diplomatic way. We do strongly believe that when the majority wants to be independent there is nothing they [the Italian government] can do,” he said to RT.

He went on to say that the established world order favors centralized governments and that is why many referendums are condemned as illegal.

rt.com...

Rainbows
Jane
edit on 16-3-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Mar 17 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: please sue EX tags and IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
If true, this is excellent news! I'm 100% behind the Venetian people.

angelchemuel
What do you guys think is motivating people in separate regions to break away from their 'controlling' state?

The repeated attempts, by the controlling state, to stamp out their language, culture and history, all in the name of "national unity". Not wanting to be erased.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
These sorts of things are hardly new. In fact they have always been pretty common. They tend to come in two forms, one a small group that has no popular support and the second people trying to score political points and make headlines. Of course the massive costs to do such a thing make even popular ones unlikely. Scotland is the prime example people may like the idea but, the staggering costs of it will keep it from ever getting enough support.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

But wouldn't that cause war? Because I don't think Rome would let that go.....

And I feel like with events like these Something is seriously up?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

It's not CROATIA, lOl, it's CRIMEA.

Power to the people!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Do enjoy your gloat for 5 minutes.....it was late and I was thinking laterally for my next post at the time. But I thank you for pointing out what has transpired to be a 'Note To Self'

I have a morning meeting, I'll be back later to explain

Everyone else who have been kind enough to post, thank you, I'll reply later this morning.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

89% Of Venetians Vote For Independence From Italy, Will Withhold Taxes To Rome

Inspired by Scotland's hopes for independence and hot on the heels of Crime'a 95% preference for accession to Russia, 89% of the citizens of Venice voted for their own sovereign state in a ‘referendum’ on independence from Italy. As The Daily Mail reports, the proposed ‘Repubblica Veneta’ includes the five million inhabitants of the Veneto region and has been largely driven by the wealthy 'who are tired of supporting the poor and crime-ridden south' (Venice pays EUR71bn in taxes and receives only EUR21bn in services and investment). The ballot appointed a committee of ten who immediately declared independence from Italy. Venice may now start withholding taxes from Rome. Wonder why the US, Europe, and Japan have not announced the referendum "illegal" and announced sanctions yet?

www.zerohedge.com...

Well, there we have it....who's next?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Well, this is interesting...here's a news report from October 6th 2012!!!

So this has been 'on the table' for some time!

And here's the result..

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If they weren't already tired of being ruled by corrupt Rome, they are certainly fed up with being ruled by the "European Union". How would you feel if people completely cut off from your local area are telling you how to live? People would like to be ruled by those close to home. Not to mention that localism will create a lot of wealth for Venetians. However, this is probably not going to happen.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

What makes you think this will not happen? They have, just like Scotland, been preparing for this vote for 18 months as the two videos I posted show.

The latest is that the legal paperwork is now being drawn up to complete the secession.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

angelchemuel
reply to post by Skyfloating

What makes you think this will not happen? They have, just like Scotland, been preparing for this vote for 18 months as the two videos I posted show.

The latest is that the legal paperwork is now being drawn up to complete the secession.

Rainbows
Jane

Because the vote is not official and holds no standing beyond PR. Which is what this entire thing is about.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Of course, I forget, when a group of people decide to take a vote concerning their own affairs, it is decried as being 'illegal' by the very people who maintain 'control' over them. Mhmmm...that sounds very much like a dictatorship to me.

I would far sooner people take a vote and make their voices heard any day of the week, than as has happened in the past, take up arms to fight for their freedoms from those that control them.

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

join