It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian hospitals stretched as self-harming teens seek help

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

I think you are right. I know bullying has always been around, but this is really mean stuff kids do now.

When I was a kid, my mom caught me staring at a person in a wheelchair. She slapped me across the face and told me to NEVER stare at another. I taught my kids that too, not with a slap though. Maybe parents are not paying attention to their kids aggressive behaviors.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I have a teen daughter who cut herself,as did many of her friends. When I found out and confronted her as to why...the true answer was more shocking than any reasons that have been speculated here. It was because it was a way to fit in,to be cool. Truly sad. She has scars that will always remind her of that poor choice. She hasn't cut in many years,and did convince her friends to stop. These are by far hard times to be a kid.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

You must have grown up special. Were you made to do chores and if you didn't, you didn't get dinner and had to sleep with the dog? were you kidnapped by your own parent, someone you thought you could trust? were you ever in an enviroment that you had no control over? if not you have no business judging others.

I am sure there are kids in worse situations than that, but that is what I went through as a child and children who have things happen to them do not trust adults to help them all they see is adults are the ones treating them the way they are treated. I am generalizing but from my experience that is the way it is.

edit on 3/19/2014 by catt3 because: to add to post

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Akragon
I wonder how many of these children grew up in fundamentalist homes...

Theres many sects of Christianity that teaches their children they're worthless...

Self hatred is a core teaching in some sects.

My experience within the neighborhood I live: less that 10% had any modicum of morality or ethics taught them. 40-50 year old hispanics running up and down the street in compact cars with gunmetal on the dashboard is what I see here.

Elsewhere may be different, but here it's not.

edit on 3/19/2014 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I suppose that empathy for the terminally neglected, derided, neglected, unloved, abused, disowned, etc. is greatly in short supply.

ATTACHMENT DISORDER IS NOT A FUN THING. IT DOES NOT PREPARE CHILDREN TO BE WHOLE FUNCTIONING ADULTS.

Blaming the victims doesn't help.

BO X ATS ATTACHMENT DISORDER THREAD LINK:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I agree that things are tough all around.

I agree that teens and everyone else will have to COWBOY-UP in increasingly big and tough ways in the face of unprecedented evil and traumas.

Nevertheless, we all have our limits.

If you haven't faced the limits cutters have, praise God.

This era, The Book declares, is the era when men's hearts will fail out of sheer fear about what's going on in life & the world around them.

If you haven't faced such fear or such despair or such isolation or such worthlessness . . . praise God.

However, in my experience, a great lack of empathy is also a type of symptom of significant ATTACHMENT DISORDER.

CUTTING, burning etc. are particularly pernicious, demonized afflictions of the psyche, the emotions, the heart, the spirit and the body . . . and of relationships gone wrong at a very early age and likely for decades thereafter.

One of my friends . . . known to some hereon . . .

I'll stop there.

You just never know . . . easily anyway . . . just who is afflicted by such. It tends to be a hidden and horrendous type of self-abuse.

One cutter I know isn't satisfied until they have bled out significant amounts of blood.

That's NOT to be scoffed at or minimized.

Life is precious . . . worthy of support and enhancement . . .

. . . regardless of how tortured and mangled.

. . . regardless of the genocidal globalists eager to terminate 6.8 billion people.

I wonder . . . if one of your children or grandchildren were discovered to be seriously and repeatedly cutting . . . would you provide THEM an array of knives?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

1. The label "fundamentalist" in this context is absurdly meaningless.

2. Fundamentalists . . . Christians and others . . . like religionists of various labels . . . do not . . . as a function of their doctrines and beliefs . . . foster more or less ATTACHMENT DISORDER.

3. The DEGREE of ATTACHMENT DISORDER is a function of THE QUALITY OF PARENTING THE PARENTS RECEIVED as babies and toddlers.

4. There are INTRINSIC [healthy] CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTALISTS just as there are EXTRINSIC [unhealthy] ones . . . as is true of every other belief label.

5. If you are going to paint with a broad brush, PLEASE, first--get your facts straight. The research on such is clear.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by Never Despise

I Hurt myself today, to see if I still feel.

I focus on the pain, the only thing thats real.

When I listen to the Nine Inch Nails original, I hear a little pain but more pride and escapism. When I listen to the Johnny Cash cover of Hurt, I really hear the pain, I feel it and I hear his regrets and his confession. I guess that's the difference between what kids and us older folks are/were being fed.

The version I prefer... (which is up here someplace else in this thread as well.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/19.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/19.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Its the kids hurting themselves in the OP, so I brought NIN for them. I like Johhny Cash version too.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Its the kids hurting themselves in the OP, so I brought NIN for them. I like Johhny Cash version too.

The NIN song is great, well put together and great lyrics, I just feel that Cash really pulls it off. I normally don't like covers, you need a lot of livin' to put that much emotion into a song, he really owned it. As far as the OP, yeah, we live in a truly dysfunctional society, everything is throw away, from cheap Chinese crap to wives, husbands and family. It's no wonder the social disease is spreading to kids, they learn what they live.

We need some serious change, not that little bit of fake silver left in our pockets after Obama and Harper.

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join