It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Canadian hospitals stretched as self-harming teens seek help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:36 PM

"We're seeing twice as many kids as we were 10 years ago," said Dr. Hazen Gandy, division chief of community-based psychiatry at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario in Ottawa.

"Commonly it's cutting," he said of kids typically aged 12 to 17 who slash their arms, thighs or bellies with everything from razor blades to the sharp edges of protractors.

"It could be burning themselves. It could be bruising themselves by repeatedly banging their fist against the wall. It's a way of kind of giving the body a whole different set of inputs that allows them not to feel so awful inside."

Canadian hospitals stretched as self-harming teens seek help

This article comes ours of Canada, and I am not Canadian, but my hunch is you could find a similar rise in America and other advanced nations.

What this signals is that modern society is failing its kids.

When I started to think about the underlying causes, I quickly realized that there were literally too many to contemplate: A toxic media environment, the destruction of both extended- and nuclear-family support systems, schools that are increasingly like juvie halls (or at least some kind of "holding pen" rather than a place of education), materialism, over-medication, environmental hormones and poisons, a more sexualized and violent society, materialism....the list seems nearly endless.

I am a middle-aged guy and many who are my age secretly (or non-so-secretly) wish they could be young again. I look at the mess kids are growing up in now and I shudder in relief that I don't have to face this world as a child or tong adult today.
edit on 16-3-2014 by Never Despise because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:42 PM
reply to post by Never Despise

I Hurt myself today, to see if I still feel.

I focus on the pain, the only thing thats real.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:47 PM

Children in western civilization have it better today than at any point in the history of the human race. They are coddled and given trophies just for showing up. There are child safety features on even the most mundane things.

They don't have to work, they don't have to hunt, they don't even need good grades to pass school. Many of them carry around the whole of recorded history in their pockets.

But they don't get enough attention, or their mommy didn't love them enough so they decide to cut themselves?
I think we should start handing out knives.

Probably not a popular opinion, but it's mine.
edit on 16-3-2014 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:55 PM
reply to post by watchitburn

But those are all reasons why they are screwed in the head. Nothing is real anymore from family relationships all the way down to the music that they listen to. Social media only increases the alienation. There needs to be a shift back to social "networking" and away from social "media".

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:21 PM

Children in western civilization have it better today than at any point in the history of the human race. They are coddled and given trophies just for showing up. There are child safety features on even the most mundane things.

They don't have to work, they don't have to hunt, they don't even need good grades to pass school. Many of them carry around the whole of recorded history in their pockets.

I don't think this is better at all.

Not having to think, act, challenge, compete, lose, love, hate, fail, hurt, win, succeed...

Leaves an empty shell of a young human being because these experiences are what make us who and what we are.

edit on 17/3/14 by masqua because: fixed coding which messed up post

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:33 PM
Agenda from on high, the elite morons running this world have all of this and more to blame on their hands.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:53 PM
i wonder how many of these self harming teens have asd's which on another thread appear to be linked to ssri use during prgnancy

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:22 PM
reply to post by intrptr

A much better version...

NIN were in my city last Thursday.

Oh, and kids dont hurt yourselves ....mmm OK.

edit on 16-3-2014 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:05 PM
With all of the changes in hte modern world versus 100 yeasr ago, it's hard to tell what's going on. They will be forced to do something about this and the answer might not be the one we want. And to adopt the technologies we need to succeed in the future might also change our behavior or induce in us motivation to change it. And how we might change it might also be what we don't want. But it's hard to know what what we do and don't want when there's so much about the past we just don't know or forgot. Kids living today don't know what it was like before they were born, they can only imagine it from what they read and hear and see.

When they're able to install "thought scanners" or "behavior scanners" in airports or in high-security areas to detect people with criminal intent, how will that change things? How has office work or increased hours in school changed people, since there's such a reduction in physical movement? Several decades ago, many people didn't even go to college. And before that, many people didn't even get into highschool. Technology of all sorts over the past few centuries has caused us to sit a lot more or not move as much. Yet we've invested heavily in social services and we absorb far more information in a given day than we would have 200 years ago.

What if they decide criminals have a mental disorder and shouldn't be seen as evil, rather as a disordered invividual? Some people will say that's good, but some will say it's bad. There're all sorts of unintended consequences to all this.

Think about it. With camaras and computers EVERYWHERE because they're so cheap, how will it change things? It WILL, but it's hard to predict.

My prediction (why not?) is all these cutters are going to be put on drugs, if they're not already on them. How will it change things? No idea.

People have said evolution doesn't happen today because natural selection is sabotaged. People who should be culled are not being culled. Instead - because of technology and social awareness - they're surviving. Genetics are being preserved without regard to their ability to survive. This is the argument. However, I think this is ignoring evolution that can happen within a single lifetime (genes can switch on/off) and evolution that can happen culturally and socially. I also think it ignores the immense cost of welfare programs and how society might evolve to reduce those costs. Welfare isn't free and society needs it to be effective.
edit on 16-3-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:12 PM
Mr Grevis "whats precieved as cool is the ones that slit their wrists for getting teased at school"

The youth is screwed really..

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:30 PM
reply to post by gort51

So you like 'em both, too? Each in its own way.

I don't think the kids are "hurting themselves" as much as they are trying to keep from becoming comfortably numb. Maybe they are afraid of becoming just another brick in the wall.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:38 PM
There can be thousands of different factors. I'd imagine a lot of them have 'bottled' it all up and are at war with themselves. Your surroundings and the way you live/where you live can have a big role in it as well.

As to one of the posts above, what if they don't want to conform to this way of living in today's society, what if they would rather hunt/live off the land instead of being forced to go to 'school'. Forced to work in order to make an income just to be able to put food on the table(maybe not exactly but you should get the point). What choices do they have?

Love and support can mean a whole lot. No idea where im going with this post, but I guess i am one of those at war with myself. Trying to find some sense of happiness in this day and age. Maybe I am just to stupid to try harder than i have been and look at things in a more positive way, maybe I am just not suited for this type of living. Maybe i should have abandoned everything and lived how i wanted when i had the chance...Maybe i am putting my self through these things without realizing...or perhaps I am just to blind to see that the grass is greener on the other side.

Dont get me wrong i love to work and learn, i just didnt like the environment that was used to teach the education. I am a strong person and dont believe in giving up, but sometimes my thoughts can get the best of me. I had a horrible experience when one of my close cousins commited suicide for reasons i wont go into, but i felt her pain. and its not something i would wish upon even anyone in this world.

either way, these types of things happen all around the world, you just dont hear about them.
edit on 16-3-2014 by Anishnaabe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:29 PM
Perhaps this is just a sign of more available medical help for the younguns. I went through this too as a teenager many moons ago and it is largely driven by alienation which can have so many sources including living in an invasive, hopeless society or family.

I do truly agree with the previous post which said modern life offers no natural challenges such as hunting, farming, living by nature. And in some ways it is really survival of the fittest... I survived very rough teen/early twenties only to become a solid, hard working adult. The old school rights of passage, however primitive, form a psychological barrier to regressing back to childhood. I see that lacking in my teen sons, though not sure what would work.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:18 AM
It isn't anything new. I did it in many ways myself in my teenage years, knew of at least 20 other kids that did it as well. I suppose I still do it in a way with my workouts, it just don't leave scars or busted up knuckles anymore. I still don't know why I used to do it. Maybe it was the only way I knew how to express my inner turmoil to the outer world. Never really been good at expressing my feelings, other than typing them up. I know it never even gave me any temporary relief that some cutters claimed that they got after cutting.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:26 PM
I think bullying is one of the biggest factors. I used to burn myself with cigarettes when I was around 14-17.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 02:22 PM
I wonder how many of these children grew up in fundamentalist homes...

Theres many sects of Christianity that teaches their children they're worthless...

Self hatred is a core teaching in some sects.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 02:54 PM
Our school system is at fault. Bureaucrats have drawn a curriculum that does not allow for the failure of students unable to meet criteria that form the basis of modern society. Reading, writing and arithmetic come to mind. We are graduating complete idiots who are unprepared for life in the real world. Teachers report cards read something like "Johnny is developing at his own level" or some such B.S. Turnips develop at their own level, people must learn to accept their shortcomings since in real life, people sometimes fail, and get fired from a job! These students are ill-prepared to accept responsibility for their actions and are not being taught simple rules. Children need boundaries to develop a sense of belonging and self worth, any parent knows this. They are simply crying out for attention, even if it's severe. This, I believe, is the root cause of this tragedy.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:07 PM
White kids with first world problems SLAY me.

The only time they've gotten attention was with their tears/injury, so they generate reasons for those. Typical Munchausen syndrome symptoms.

If they had to worry when they were getting their next meal, if they were going to get shot by that sniper the last thing they'd be doing was cutting themselves.

Middle class white kids lack sand, they just have no character. All was just given to them, nothing was ever earned so now they are all l'enfant terrible.

edit on 17-3-2014 by Viesczy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:35 PM
reply to post by Viesczy

You sound pretty racist. It aint only white kids that do it by a long shot. I was pretty poor, and I am native north american mostly. Little bit of irish blood in there.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:25 PM
Lack of exercise and chemicals in the environment could be a huge factor in irrational behavior. If millions of people are taking brain altering medications like Prozac or other anti-depressants and then urinating trace amounts back into the system and those trace elements mix with other toxins then there is the possibility that our environment might be causing these things to rise in frequency. Just my speculation.

<<   2 >>