It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican co-hosts science conference in Arizona to discuss Alien life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Times are strange indeed, ATS.

It appears that the Vatican is co-sponsoring a conference in Tuscon, AZ to discuss the search for Alien life. This gathering of more than 200 scientists is not open to the public.

It seems to me that finding Alien life would render the Catholic church's influence null and void. Maybe I'm wrong in my assumption(s) but wouldn't Alien life have to fit in with Christianity, otherwise, any new beliefs would totally re-structure the image of God; thus, ending the influence of Christianity.

What say you, ATS?

www.space.com... co-hosts
edit on 16-3-2014 by lostbook because: typo

edit on 16-3-2014 by lostbook because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The view of the church would most likely be to convert any new species they find. Could you imagine if we discovered intelligent life on a distant planet. A life at the same technological point we are. So they could only get to their moon and not much else.

I'm willing to bet in that scenario the Vatican would pool it's massive resources to build ships to reach the alien world to spread religion to them. Or kill them for not believing as they have done numerous times.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

I got this from your link :

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

There has long been a thought in christian theology called the Many worlds theology.

In it, the belief that an Infinite god, can create infinitely, including planets with life.

It is not new, an example of this would be Giordano Bruno who thought the universe was Infinite, because his God IS infinite.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

lostbook

It appears that the Vatican is co-sponsoring a conference in Tuscon, AZ to discuss the search for Alien life. This gathering of more than 200 scientists is not open to the public.

It seems to me that finding Alien life would render the Catholic church's influence null and void. Maybe I'm wrong in my assumption(s) but wouldn't Alien life have to fit in with Christianity, otherwise, any new beliefs would totally re-structure the image of God; thus, ending the influence of Christianity.

What say you, ATS?

Well...
Oral Roberts claimed to see a 900 foot tall Jesus in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Tucson isn't that far away.
maybe they're trying to get Giant Jesus to come back to Earth.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

THE LINK WORKS

www.space.com...

Nearly 200 scientists are attending the conference, called "The Search for Life Beyond the Solar System: Exoplanets, Biosignature & Instruments," which runs from March 16 through 21 in Tucson, Ariz. The Vatican Observatory is co-hosting the conference with the University of Arizona's Steward Observatory.

Oh, look. It's not the Arizona State University which is very closely linked with NASA.

ASU is in legal contract with NASA to remove the cross-hairs from the Apollo images.
ASU is heavily intertwined in NASA's LRO moon images.

But for the E.T seminar Arizona State is doing E.T. conferences with the Vatican, not ASU.
3 Red Flags there!

edit on 3/16/2014 by SayonaraJupiter because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/16/2014 by SayonaraJupiter because: too many typos

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Sorry about that. Try this link:

www.space.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

The conference is not open to the public, but NASA's Astrobiology Institute will broadcast a live feed of the sessions.

Not open to the public.
Not open to the public.
Not open to the public.

But NASA is providing the TV live feed.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

lostbook

What say you, ATS?

I think if there was a person who was a believer in a God as a supreme creator of the universe (whether that person be Christian, Jew, Muslim, or otherwise), then he could also believe that God created the entire universe, including intelligent alien life.

I don't necessarily see it as an "end" to the world's religions. Perhaps some slight revising may be in order, but I think world religions are currently, as they exist today, relatively open to the idea of intelligent alien life, for the most part.

edit on 3/16/2014 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It's complete deception. They entertain ET in the vatican, so this is quite the joke. Not the good ones either.
edit on 16-3-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

SayonaraJupiter

The conference is not open to the public, but NASA's Astrobiology Institute will broadcast a live feed of the sessions.

Not open to the public.
Not open to the public.
Not open to the public.

But NASA is providing the TV live feed.

It's like those days when only the priest could read the Bible for you on Sundays.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

edit on 16-3-2014 by Specimen because: NVM

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
well if memory serves, wasn't it in 2006 when the Vatican made worldwide headlines when they stated it was their opinion that it was probable there may be alien life in the universe. That was pretty ground shaking for the Vatican.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

data5091
well if memory serves, wasn't it in 2006 when the Vatican made worldwide headlines when they stated it was their opinion that it was probable there may be alien life in the universe. That was pretty ground shaking for the Vatican.

Source please. If you say it was 2006 then show a source from 2006.

Here is one from 2009. Vatican Holds Conference on Extraterrestrial Life
www.universetoday.com...

Catholic News from 2008... getting closer Vatican astronomer says if aliens exist, they may not need redemption
www.catholicnews.com...

This is the guy you want to talk to about these conferences.

José Gabriel Funes
en.wikipedia.org...

Fr. José Gabriel Funes, S.J. (born January 31, 1963 in Córdoba), an Argentine Jesuit priest and astronomer, is the current director of the Vatican Observatory.

In an interview in May 2008[1][2] he stated that the possible existence of intelligent extraterrestrials did not contradict church teaching[3][4] and ruling out the existence of aliens would be like "putting limits" on God's creative freedom.[5] He has speculated that such alien life forms could even be “free from Original Sin … [remaining] in full friendship with their creator.”[6] Funes' statements have clearly similar points to what the Vatican's Corrado Balducci also previously has expressed.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

SayonaraJupiter

Source please. If you say it was 2006 then show a source from 2006.

It actually goes back to the 1990s (and even earlier).

The late Monsignor Corrado Balducci was a member of the Vatican Curia and a freind of Pope Benedict. Msgr. Balducci had spoken several times about the possibility of ET life. Here is an interview from 1995 (with mention of a previous 1986 interview) with Balducci about ETs:

Father Balducci assertions about Extraterrestrials

As I mentioned above, I see no real conflict here with most religions that include a "Supreme Creator" and the ideas of ETs. If the alleged Supreme Creator (e.g., "God") created the entire universe, then that same Supreme Creator could have created other intelligent beings on other worlds.

I think that's what Msgr. Balducci and the Catholic Church are also saying. There is not necessarily any conflict of ideologies here.

edit on 3/20/2014 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Box of Rain

I wonder if there are any more like Padre Balducci?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
If you go to the space.com website and use their search box to search for 'vatican' there are quite a few pages found. Some address the issue of aliens too.

Why should the Vatican get involved in this and what can they gain from it? Any alien worth his salt would be way ahead of us humans and our petty belief systems. In fact, some of them probably dont have emotions so would not be able to believe in anything.Think Spok x 100

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

lostbook

What say you, ATS?

edit on 16-3-2014 by lostbook because: (no reason given)

The idea or thought that alien life somehow invalidates Christianity is only parroted over and over by the people who do not believe In Christianity to begin with, or because of agenda against it.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Arizona State is in Tempe, AZ (metro Phoenix). The University of Arizona, a separate school, is in Tucson, AZ. Just under two hours apart via road. They are separate public universities. Both have contracts with NASA. The University of Arizona (UofA), also has several world class observatories located at Kitt Peak nearby. Just fyi.

SayonaraJupiter
reply to post by Trueman

THE LINK WORKS

www.space.com...

Nearly 200 scientists are attending the conference, called "The Search for Life Beyond the Solar System: Exoplanets, Biosignature & Instruments," which runs from March 16 through 21 in Tucson, Ariz. The Vatican Observatory is co-hosting the conference with the University of Arizona's Steward Observatory.

Oh, look. It's not the Arizona State University which is very closely linked with NASA.

ASU is in legal contract with NASA to remove the cross-hairs from the Apollo images.
ASU is heavily intertwined in NASA's LRO moon images.

But for the E.T seminar Arizona State is doing E.T. conferences with the Vatican, not ASU.
3 Red Flags there!

edit on 3/16/2014 by SayonaraJupiter because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/16/2014 by SayonaraJupiter because: too many typos

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

SayonaraJupiter
reply to post by Box of Rain

I wonder if there are any more like Padre Balducci?

I'm absolutely sure there are. For the most part, theologians (including Vatican Theologians) are very well-educated people. Very-well educated people have an understanding of the immensity of the universe, and (therefore) most likely believe that other life probably exists in the enormity of the universe....

...So it also is not surprising that a theologian would entertain the possibility that ET is visiting Earth.

Like I said before, the idea of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe CAN STILL be consistent with the idea of a single supreme creator of the universe (e.g., the Judeo/Christian/Muslim idea of "God"). In fact, I'd be surprised if a majority of theologians (including Vatican theologians) felt that humans were the only intelligent life in this unimaginably immense universe.

edit on 3/21/2014 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/21/2014 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join