It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With 79% Turnout, Exit Polls Confirm 93% Voters Back Crimea Joining Russia

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I would point out that people should remember this if US states voting to leave the union.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

SLAYER69

the owlbear
Too many investors in petrochemical interests in east Europe...

Who is Russia for 500 Bob

They ain't all Ruskies, my friend. Many Westerners, including Texans(they wish they were their own country...until a hurricane hits then they take off their hats for donations), are heavily invested in worldwide petrochemical production and refinement.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

I'm aware of that but these particular pipelines are fed by Russia.
Those and a Naval base are what this all about . Not what the people want.

Call it what it is.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well ok then.
So that's over and finished.....

My perspective is, who cares?

Anyone can look at the worlds maps throughout history, the one constant is that they are ever changing.
So now we can move/change these imaginary lines & names again.

Afterall...

And as for Obama & company, whats to be said?
I don't recall "America" offering the Native Americans a vote.

Just my 2 cents
~Cheers~

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by the owlbear

I'm aware of that but these particular pipelines are fed by Russia.
Those and a Naval base are what this all about . Not what the people want.

Call it what it is.

True that.
People protecting investments.
wrapped in flags and fervor, though, things get out of hand fast.
I am not saying I have all of the answers, I have none. I just know when people with money want something to happen, it does...whose money? What is to be gained and lost? Well, other than lives...
Humanity will never learn.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

Bravo on citing the Nat Am. The tribal nations are our closest comparable unit to Crimea within the US. Like Crimea, they, too, are only allowed partial sovereignty and it is definitely an issue for the tribes in terms of autonomy and is compounded by old acts, ie the Dawes Act, that damage them economically.

reply to post by ketsuko

Yep. The last time a number of states voted to secede from the Union, it resulted in the American Civil War. I liken it to being similar to divorce. Nobody likes being rejected.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Seems like a much more peaceful way to get a regime change than say Drone strikes and rolling in tanks though don't it?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I agree this regime change overthrew Putins Puppet without either.
But so far, The only tanks I see on Ukrainian soil are Russian.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

well, Im a complete Isolationist that thinks the rest of the world can go f-itself.

MY strong preference in all of this is that as long as US citizens are not involved, and no US solider is harmed, WE need to stay the hell out.

People could list fake elections, children dying, rapes, dogs and cats living together, and MY response would be the same.

WE have to remove the log from our own eye, before we go take it from Putins.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

benrl
well, Im a complete Isolationist that thinks the rest of the world can go f-itself.

Me too

MY strong preference in all of this is that as long as US citizens are not involved, and no US solider is harmed, WE need to stay the hell out.

Agreed

People could list fake elections, children dying, rapes, dogs and cats living together, and MY response would be the same.

Same here

WE have to remove the log from our own eye, before we go take it from Putins.

He's showing the world exactly why NATO was created in the first place.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Aren't they protecting the Russian citizens there? Same as when NATO and USA sent their troops to Kosovo, to "protect" citizens and to have everything under control?

Wait, are you telling me that's a LIE?! No way...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Which if all those nations want to hurry up and meet NATO standards to join up, well, By all means.

Until that, well.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
To those wondering why the UN is "sitting on it's hands", there's a very simple explanation for this:

Russia's Veto (which they used to overturn the draft resolution on this very subject).

Of course there is a way to overturn a veto but it's convoluted and not guaranteed to work:

Bypass a Veto

There's an esoteric maneuver to get around a threatened veto: invoking the obscure U.N. Resolution 377, also known as the "Uniting for Peace" Resolution. In early 1950, the United States pushed through the resolution as a means of circumventing possible Soviet vetoes. The measure states that, in the event that the Security Council cannot maintain international peace, a matter can be taken up by the General Assembly. This procedure has been used 10 times so far, most notably in 1956 to help resolve the Suez Canal crisis. Britain and France, which were occupying parts of the canal at the time, vetoed Security Council resolutions calling for their withdrawal. The United States called for an emergency "Uniting for Peace" session of the General Assembly, which passed a withdrawal resolution. (A simple majority vote is required.) Britain and France pulled out shortly after. Yet these non-Security Council resolutions are more symbolic pressure tactics than anything else.
The council still maintains responsibility for enforcement, so naysayers among the permanent members can likely prevent the actual dispatching of troops. Nor, as history has shown, will all nations buckle like Britain and France did in 1956. In 1980, the General Assembly convened in a "Uniting for Peace" session and passed a resolution demanding the Soviet Union's withdrawal from Afghanistan. The Soviets merely shrugged.

edit on 16-3-2014 by Elysarian because: Typo

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Exactly, it isn't any business of US or UK, they should back off.

The hypocrisy of either's attempts at denying Crimea the right for Independence is astounding. Have they forgotten their own recent history or conveniently sweeping it under the rug?

Democracy and Freedom? Yes only if it's on our terms?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

khimbar
I'm sure this clearly is the wrong sort of democracy, and therefore doesn't count. They'll be along to tell us this soon.

Well I personally don't believe it can be called democracy without a "shock and awe" bombing campaign, not real democracy anyway but this can be rectified and after we liberate these people with our B-2s we will get a real result.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

theabsolutetruth
reply to post by benrl

Exactly, it isn't any business of US or UK, they should back off.

The hypocrisy of either's attempts at denying Crimea the right for Independence is astounding. Have they forgotten their own recent history or conveniently sweeping it under the rug?

Democracy and Freedom? Yes only if it's on our terms?

lol - Crimea independent?? Errr.....no....this is not about independence - regardless of what you might think.

this is about reforging a Russian empire.

And a plebescite in a state illegally occupied by a foreign military power, where the only options aer beome part of Russia now or become part of Russia later is hardly anyones measure of "democracy and freedom" - Russia isn't democratic or feree - the BS posted showing Crimea with a Russian Flag or a Nazi swastika show just how "free" this "vote" has been

congratulations on being duped.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

“It’s all quiet so far,” Mateus Psikorkski, the leader of the European observers’ mission and Polish MP told Itar-Tass. “Our observers have not registered any violations of voting rules.”

Another observer, Ewald Stadler, member of the European Parliament, dispelled the “referendum at gunpoint” myth, by saying he felt people were free to make their choice.

“I haven’t seen anything even resembling pressure,” he said. “People themselves want to have their say.”

Many were impressed by the turnout, which appeared to be so high as to have people stand in lines to get to the ballot box in the morning. The turnout for the referendum in Crimea at 17.00 local time (15.00 GMT) was 70 per cent, the referendum’s website said.

"The lines are very long, the turnout is big indeed,” a member of the international observer mission, Bulgarian parliament member Pavel Chernev, said. "Organization and procedures are 100 percent in line with the European standards," he added.

135 international observers have arrived from 23 countries

rt.com...

i think a lot of chicken hawks may have missed the boat on this one.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Nikola014

Aren't they protecting the Russian citizens there?

No - ther has never been any threat to Russian citizens there.

Same as when NATO and USA sent their troops to Kosovo, to "protect" citizens and to have everything under control?

Wait, are you telling me that's a LIE?! No way...

The US and NATO

1/ didn't' send troops to Kossovo - KFOR was a UN force including both NATO and non-NATO troops - such as Russians and Ukrainians, and
2/ no troops were sent there to protect US or NATO citizens - they weer sent to keep the 2 sides apart and to disarm the KLA!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I would point out that people should remember this if US states voting to leave the union.

What?

That you should first be occupied by a foreign military power at gunpoint, who then suppresses any actual debate and censors your news media - cutting off foreign channels who might oppose them??

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

thats exactly what the us paul bremmer did in Iraq

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join