It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon's Resources?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I think the Moon has iron in it, but I'm not sure, anyone help at all please?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
www.neiu.edu...

try this link

not sure if this is what you need or not but have a look anyway

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Thanks a lot, just I'm researching into Moon Industries, if it's worth going up there etc...
It is made up of 13% Iron!

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The moon contains more aluminum than iron. Hell, it has more aluminum than earth. Moon industries huh? Google Helium 3. The moon contains about 1 million tons of it and its estimated value is $4,000,000,000,000,000.00 When we run out of oil, we are going to need an alternative energy source. Nonpolluting nuclear energy is the way to go. (By the way 1 million tons of helium 3 could power the world for thousands of years.)

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
What do you thinks gonna happen if we start mining(robbing) the moon of it's resources? The moon plays a delicate role on the earth and who lives on it. We would be destroying ourselves over time.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
If your looking for a good reason to go into space for metals Iron,gold,silver ect... Look into M- Type Asteroids..

Some of the larger ones alone contain 200 Trillion worth of various metals

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Shadow, have you ever heard of a primordial stainless steel asteroid?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mephorium
Shadow, have you ever heard of a primordial stainless steel asteroid?

Cant say I have heard that name before is it some type of special M-type asteroid?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by I See You
What do you thinks gonna happen if we start mining(robbing) the moon of it's resources? The moon plays a delicate role on the earth and who lives on it. We would be destroying ourselves over time.

Perhaps we could redirect some large asteroids to the moon to increase it's mass. I think the moon takes a large number of substantial hits every year.

Not sure what could be the most reliable method of getting the raw materials back down to Earth.

( I heard in another forum thread that the dark side of the moon already has a large mine operation )

Who knows! I'm sure someone does.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I doubt that we can actually cause harm to the moon by mining it. We have been mining earth for ages now and it is not hollow yet
(ok..some say it was always hollow)
If we do lose the moon, there are plans to steal another moon from Jupiter iirc.
They cannot be put into practice now but we still have plenty of time ^^

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well, good "Moon Industries" would be:
Solar Energy
Mining
Manufacturing
Launch Pads (rockets, low gravity, less fule needed in take off)
I don't think that if we start building massive factories on the Moon and mining it that tourists will want to vist much, if at all!
The Moon has everyhting we need, we need to use the Moon to our advanteg by "expoliting" it, getting stuff up there and earing $$$!

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Would I be right in thinking that if materials were mined on the moon and then brought to earth in sufficient quantities, that this would subtlely affect the gravitational equilibrium between the two planets? The moon is currently floating away from the earth at the rate of something like 3 cm a year. Would mining the moon cancel this out or would it increase it's departure rate?

posted by Mephorium........Helium 3. The moon contains about 1 million tons of it and its estimated value is $4,000,000,000,000,000.00 When we run out of oil, we are going to need an alternative energy source. Nonpolluting nuclear energy is the way to go. (By the way 1 million tons of helium 3 could power the world for thousands of years.)

This link provides a bit of background info to the estimated costs involved with Helium 3 and the moon.

fti.neep.wisc.edu...

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
My first thought would be that removing materials from the moon would not expidite the departure of the monn. Because gravity (the glue) I believe is a function of mass (moon mass + earth mass = X glue) we would simple be subtracting mass from the moon, but increasing the earth's mass by an equal amount.

Right or wrong... ?

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The page you posted in your link seems quite detailed, but prices aren't as high as I'd of though. A large "Union" of companies based on the same goal could overcome all costs and make a large profit in the long run...

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Notme
My first thought would be that removing materials from the moon would not expidite the departure of the moon. Because gravity (the glue) I believe is a function of mass (moon mass + earth mass = X glue) we would simple be subtracting mass from the moon, but increasing the earth's mass by an equal amount.
Right or wrong... ?

I dunno...........
er..... The way I thought about it was the more mass the more 'pull'. So I assumed that the Earth would tug a little harder at the moon. But then I confused myself by starting to think about 1) the rate at which the moon orbits the Earth, and would this increase due to it's diminishing mass. 2) like you say, the increased gravitational 'pull' of the Earth would have less of an effect on a moon that weighs less.

So, Right or wrong?........I dunno. Someone here must know!

Cheers

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Every day the moon and earth get more mass due to asteroids colliding with them.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
We may be heading slightly off thread here with all this gravity stuff, but.....

The Earth has a mass of 597,420,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms (I may be a zero out!) which is, well, quite a lot. But whichever way you look at it, there would have to be one hell of a lot of mined materials/asteroids hitting us to really adjust this significantly. Also the moon's mass is about 0.012 times that of the Earth (7.35 x 10^22 kg).

So......there you go.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
LOL! And how did that help this thread get back on topic?

join