It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holographic universe?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Okay, I'm aware of this idea that what we see is an illusion...that it's all a figment of our senses.
But I don't understand how we can sit on chairs, walk on the ground, touch objects/people - if they're holograms, they're 'transparent' like ghosts or Star Trek kind of 3-D images....
even though I also understand that there are particles that pass right through us, and that solid-seeming objects are actually not solid objects, but it is magnetic polarity that makes it seem so.

Does anyone have a physics explanation that can help me with understanding what a holographic universe means? I'm no physicist, but I'm very interested in the paranormal/unseen that seems very much to be part of our lives.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

The holographic principal is simply that all three dimensional structures in space are actually projections of two dimensional information on the "event horizon" of the universe (or black hole where the original theory springs from).

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The world is a rich and amazing place full of wonder.

You are made up of more empty space than atoms, yet you can sit on a chair, and thats not even theory thats fact.

Reality or at least your perception of it, takes place and is interpreted in the brain and really there is no way to prove that you are not just in a coma somewhere experience what you call Reality.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

greencmp

The holographic principal is simply that all three dimensional structures in space are actually projections of two dimensional information on the "event horizon" of the universe (or black hole where the original theory springs from).

Akin to do the actors in a Movie know they are just light projected on the screen, are we just experiencing the recording of all reality thinking we are "in" the moment when really we are just beams of light and energy.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Ohh

obkb

can you dumb that down a little for me?
I understand basic math, and empty space/polarity, etc...
What is the 'event horizon'??

I also get kerfuffled thinking about, for example, the gas cloud that astrophysicists are now seeing being sucked into a black hole - happened 26,000 earth years ago. Yet we see it as "now."

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

You are made up of more empty space than atoms, yet you can sit on a chair, and thats not even theory thats fact.

Reality or at least your perception of it, takes place and is interpreted in the brain and really there is no way to prove that you are not just in a coma somewhere experience what you call Reality.

Mindmelt.

Maybe I am in a coma; but it seems endurable!

Also - I wonder about sleep....dreams. Do you think they are equally 'real'?
I do.

edit on 3/16/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I think, the amount we know about consciousness is so little that we can only speculate.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Which is my favorite topic of speculation ever!!! Since I was a little kid, perusing my parents' home library - I'd always choose the Time-Life encyclopedia about the brain - and read the 'mental health' stuff.

Psychology/consciousness is my absolute favorite subject....NDEs are irresistible for me....fascinating.
wish I'd gone into research as opposed to the direction I went with my career. I burned out fast.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs
reply to post by benrl

Which is my favorite topic of speculation ever!!! Since I was a little kid, perusing my parents' home library - I'd always choose the Time-Life encyclopedia about the brain - and read the 'mental health' stuff.

Psychology/consciousness is my absolute favorite subject....NDEs are irresistible for me....fascinating.
wish I'd gone into research as opposed to the direction I went with my career. I burned out fast.

There is an interesting Documentary about perception and reality that skirts TOS on ATS, but Id recommend looking on netflix for "spirit molecule"

as a purely speculative discussion, things that alter perception are an interesting window into the function of the brain and reality.

I am no advocating, simply pointing an interesting doc that deals with consciousness.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think people have forever practiced altering their awareness. Seems to be a way of dealing with the fact that we just don't know what is going on here!!!

edit on 3/16/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

benrl
The world is a rich and amazing place full of wonder.

Nobody knows for sure if perception of reality takes place in the brain though, right?

I read that a pentagram pointed upwards can be a symbol for mind over matter, which also can be symbolic of Jesus. Someone interested in the ideas discussed here would probably find this interesting.

upload.wikimedia.org...

I had a lucid dream only once in my life that I'm aware of and it only lasted for a couple of seconds. If you can be in that state of consciousness, then I don't see how we could ever know that we are not dreaming right now. I think the truth is probably something more like this than like in the Matrix movie where humans have cables connected to them lying in containers with liquid.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by introspectionist

Nobody knows for sure if perception of reality takes place in the brain though, right?

Well, neurosurgeons have looked forever to find the "seat of consciousness", and they haven't. Kind of like having the lights on, and trying all of the circuit-breakers in the main box, but the light not going out when any of them are flipped off.

Again - this subject of consciousness and perception really really really interests me. Maybe most of all because we just don't know!!!
The greatest conspiracy ever. Who Did This To Us????

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

My point really is that no one "knows"

and from a completely abstract perspective NO one can really "know"

we could all simple be a dream in the mind of the universes, and thats as metaphysical as Ill go.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs

Well, neurosurgeons have looked forever to find the "seat of consciousness", and they haven't. Kind of like having the lights on, and trying all of the circuit-breakers in the main box, but the light not going out when any of them are flipped off.

Again - this subject of consciousness and perception really really really interests me. Maybe most of all because we just don't know!!!
The greatest conspiracy ever. Who Did This To Us????

You will probably love this video. I do!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

we could all simple be a dream in the mind of the universes, and thats as metaphysical as Ill go.

Awww....

but that's where the mindmelting starts! It's fun!! (until you get exhausted from even trying, and that's when you throw the book against the wall, fling your arms up, and say 'what! ever!' in an "I'm bright but I just don't get this!" tone of voice..)......

Anyway, thanks for your participation in the thread.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs
reply to post by greencmp

Ohh

obkb

can you dumb that down a little for me?
I understand basic math, and empty space/polarity, etc...
What is the 'event horizon'??

I also get kerfuffled thinking about, for example, the gas cloud that astrophysicists are now seeing being sucked into a black hole - happened 26,000 earth years ago. Yet we see it as "now."

A black hole is the remnant of a large collapsed star, where most of the mass of that star has fallen in and is compressed to a point where the gravity is so great that even light cannot escape from it. This also means that at some point, an in-falling object will reach the speed of light before reaching the bit in the middle where all the mass resides.

This point where infalling objects reach the speed of light is referred of as the event horizon. Part of this is due to the extreme time dilation effects that affect infalling objects there. To us, looking from the outside, the object reaches the event horizon and would appear to freeze in time. To them, looking out, they would continue to fall into the black hole but would see the entire rest of the history of the universe.

One of the problems with this theory is that we should see a "firewall" of energy stuck to the event horizon that has built up over time, but we don't. About two months ago, Prof. Stephen Hawking (probably the foremost expert on black holes) has agreed with others that the event horizon is not as solid and definite as was previously imagined and that this may account for the absence of firewalls.

But we do see much energy from things as they are ripped apart by the gravitational tidal forces before they reach the event horizon. This is probably the gas cloud you were referring to in your post. It was a star but has been stretched out across space and is now a spiral trail of matter falling into a black hole at the centre of the galaxy. It is so bright that it is suggested to be another way for heavier elements to come into existence, aside from stellar evolution.

Part of the reason we are seeing things "in the past" with astronomy is that it takes the light some time to travel across the vast distances in space.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

If you watch a cartoon of say Daffy Duck and Daffy sits on a chair you understand the action and it is represented in your mind via your eyes. From a 3D standpoint the chair is not real but the idea of Daffy sitting on a chair is.

In 3D reality you sit on a chair. It also is a representation in your mind although it is created there by the sense of sight and touch. It may be that your understanding and acceptance of physical reality is preventing you from understanding it as merely a representation. If there is a soul or some similar form that we take after physical reality then perhaps 'they' don't sit so sitting in physical reality is just a representation created by the physical senses.
edit on 16-3-2014 by baboogdi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs
reply to post by benrl

Awww....

but that's where the mindmelting starts! It's fun!! (until you get exhausted from even trying, and that's when you throw the book against the wall, fling your arms up, and say 'what! ever!' in an "I'm bright but I just don't get this!" tone of voice..)......

Anyway, thanks for your participation in the thread.

I have my own little cosmology based on experience, a little experimentation, and a foundation in theology, really, its kinda complex and probably boring and really not the point of this thread.

Although IF proven, certainly the Holographic universe fits into it.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

thanks!!! Off to watch it, now....
(btw, folks, it's only 9-&-tics long)

x3
+

WOW! Kabbalah. Just explained exactly what I'm expecting to express. (Don't know where that alliteration came from!
)

Here you go.....

Thanks to introspectionist for this awesome link!!!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by baboogdi

It may be that your understanding and acceptance of physical reality is preventing you from understanding it as merely a representation. If there is a soul or some similar form that we take after physical reality then perhaps 'they' don't sit so sitting in physical reality is just a representation created by the physical senses.

Awesome response.

Okay, it's starting to sink in now. Thanks, you people!!!

Everyone, if you haven't seen it, do watch the vid that introspectionist offered. !!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join