It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's The Roast Beef? The Ruining Of Nursery Rhymes! This Little Piggy Had Tofu!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Wow 1stly @ Kali ... I thank you heaps for your participation in this thread and you have given me much to consider deeply!

2ndly @ ATS the vitriol directed against vegetarians in this thread is pretty mighty considering that I was far more shocked by the revisionism than by vegetarianism itself! I am deeply shocked by what has happened by sharing my simple raw outburst to myself and I in no way intended it to apply to all vegetarians at all and I apologize to all vegetarians for this!

Please don't make me make an alert to ask for the closure of this thread!

Can we please focus on the revisionism ... should we allow parents to rewrite culture and ethics and history?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

I don't much have to wonder why some children grow up to be so stupid these days when their parents are convinced a whole society is going to collapse because someone changed a word in a nursery rhyme.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ZonedOut

2ndly @ ATS the vitriol directed against vegetarians in this thread is pretty mighty considering that I was far more shocked by the revisionism than by vegetarianism itself! I am deeply shocked by what has happened by sharing my simple raw outburst to myself and I in no way intended it to apply to all vegetarians at all and I apologize to all vegetarians for this!

Very nicely said - thank you - from a vegetarian :-)

And to be fair - nobody likes change

Least of all when it happens to those things that come from our childhood - they are sacred in their own way

But, having said that...

''The Moving Finger writes and having writ,
Moves on; nor all your piety nor wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,
Nor all your tears blot out a word of it."

From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

Have a pleasant Sunday Ms. Zoned

:-)
edit on 3/16/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: tiny little things...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

There's no need to apologize to any vegetarian, certainly not all of them. You didn't attack us. You were flummoxed by your daughter-in-law's choice to change a nursery rhyme to reflect her child's world. People forget that birth through 3 years a baby's world is very small and they need to process their immediate world before learning about the greater world and they learn first by touch and taste, cognitive function and language learning are based on attaching words to the things they experience. Roast beef would be a nonsense word to your grandchild because as his brain is preparing for language no one is going to say to him oh you're eating roast beef. He will hear that he is eating tofu though, so when you say this little piggy had tofu you are helping him make a word connection to something that is tangible to him.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

ZonedOut

Can we please focus on the revisionism ... should we allow parents to rewrite culture and ethics and history?

Do you remember "Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe"? Remember what you originally said you catch by the toe? At least where I grew up in the South, you used a racial slur in that little rhyme. I believe it's been re-written to say catch a tiger by the toe. Good thing, no?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Thank You!

[btw its Mr Zoned]

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I do understand deeply that I must fit into the world of my grandson that is created by his mother and I will have a far easier time next time in faithfully complying to her wishes!

Now I must go take a granny nap and ponder these things!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Duly noted - for the future

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

:O Yes indeed ... wow now it becomes clearer to me!

Ponder it I will as I take a granny nap!

I shall check on this thread 1st thing when I wake up!

@ Everybody: Please feel free to continue debating this issue respectfully and try to remember its about the revisionism ok!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I understand that it is only a nursery rhyme, but since vegetarianism is something outside of the norm, you would want every single opportunity to teach your child.. and that is a very good opportunity indeed to bring your point of view out. This little piggy is something you say with your child even up to three or four years, simply because the tickling at the end is fun for a child of any age!

So it can be used as a way to teach your child about this thing that is reasonably different than most families, that is how I as a parent would see it, an opportunity to teach the "why's" of being a vegetarian.. because its the why's that matter, and that will matter most when your child is older and faced with other choices and points of view.

This is not me knocking vegetarians, many have different dietary habits whether they be cultural, religious, medical or choice.. but I would rather take every opportunity to teach and guide than I would to revise a rhyme.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

Quinoa

As just one example

You can eat a varied diet and your body will take from that all that is necessary to give you protein

How do you think cows get their protein? Or rabbits - or sparrows - or goldfish...

All God's children are made of protein - and most get it from somewhere besides McDonalds or KFC

edit on 3/16/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Drama queen?

No, I am not a drama queen... thank you.. I have faith that when we actually take the time to teach children they learn it. Teaching is not because I said so... its through explanation and rational thought.

Rational thought is apparently quite rare.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It is time that little rhyme gets updated though

This little piggy went on craigslist
This little piggy lost signal
This little piggy ate Wendy's baconator
this little piggy had only hot pockets
this little piggy got e-bullied on facebook till he closed his account

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

This is not me knocking vegetarians, many have different dietary habits whether they be cultural, religious, medical or choice.. but I would rather take every opportunity to teach and guide than I would to revise a rhyme.

Oh, I know that OB - you're not knocking anybody really

And you're always concerned with why things are the way they are :-)

But I'm less of a traditionalist (though I have my stuff too - I must say)

Words - art - any of our endless bits and pieces of culture - are all malleable as far as I'm concerned

Children will learn not all at once, but by and by. No need to worry about hiding the truth by varying one word in a rhyme - meat eating will become very obvious soon enough

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

When my son was 2-3 years old we loved this little piggy. After bath time sitting around at the end of the day... I would do the full action this little piggy, and every time would change the food, give a dramatic pause before naming one of my son's favorite foods. It added an extra element of fun for him and for me as well, truthfully, as he'd giggle at "pizza" "carrots" "broccoli" and sometimes even adding something gross like "ant soup" and going "ewwwwwww" before continuing to the tickling part. I think of it as having expanded a tradition rather than revising history.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Yes, they are malleable to a point... but what if I had changed "this little piggy" to "this little puppy" instead because pigs are dirty forbidden creatures? (and yes, I said this little piggy with my kids)

That would be stupid of me really.. why change a cultural thing because it doesn't fit with your particular ideals so long as its not harmful or teaching hatred? (which I would be against)

There is a point where you are what you are, but no need to change everything around to to make everything else fit into your point of view.. that is extreme in my opinion.
edit on 16-3-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Though the reply was to you the statement was not directed at you, clearly there are people who feel this way aren't there? You offered your perspective on a why and I replied with one of my own. I wasn't intending to attack you there and apologize for not being clearer.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

No problem... no need to apologize though i do thank you for the clarification and apology and it is accepted.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

There is a point where you are what you are, but no need to change everything around to to make everything else fit into your point of view.. that is extreme in my opinion.

A hysterical line considering we're having this conversation here at ATS :-)

I think we all edit - shift - rewrite reality to suit our personal world views on a regular basis

Some of us work very hard at looking directly at reality and keeping it front and center - but even then, the mind wanders...

I understand what you're saying - but, considering nursery rhymes are kinda up to the parent - it's hardly dishonest to rearrange them to fit your family's reality

Just as one might choose the Koran over the Bible - or Atheism over either

edit on 3/16/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Good conversation..

I'm off to create fun avatars... just wanted to say thanks for the convo and I do agree in large part with your above post. And your right, it is a bit funny when you think about it.

take care!

<< 1  2    4 >>

join