It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's The Roast Beef? The Ruining Of Nursery Rhymes! This Little Piggy Had Tofu!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Ok again I am continuing to post my threads in the rants forum and this time it is not so positive!

[Note: Meatloaf once sang that "two out of three ain't bad!
]

Long story short ... the mother of my grandson is vegetarian and is raising him vegetarian and she is as militant as they come!

At one level I admire her greatly for that and I have no issue with her raising my grandson that way at all!

BUT the other day I was sharing nursery rhymes with my grandson and I put out my hand and he grabbed onto my finger and I said "This little piggy had roast beef!" ... and then both my gf and her daughter were giving me weird looks ... daggers from the daughter and worried look from my gf ... who both quickly interjected and said in hissed tones "ahem ... Tofu!"

Oh ... Uh Oh! OOPS!

Me then and there to my grandson: "Oh yeah ... this little piggy had tofu." and then I finished the rest of the original nursery rhyme.

Me later on to myself when I was far from any proximity to either of them: "You Vegetarian Witches Destroying My Childhood Memories!"

Tomorrow I shall go and buy a roast beef roll and quietly eat it and enjoy with some sense of smug self satisfaction aka a little bit of wallowing in my own nostalgic crapulence.

Maybe I should just get with the 'program' and start singing 'Cows With Guns' to my grandson instead!

"We will fight for Bovine Freedom and hold our large Heads High! We will Run Free with the Buffalo or Die!"

I wonder if that will pass muster with the ladies

Flame On Everybody as I am Ready for my GRILLING!

edit on 16-3-2014 by ZonedOut because: turned the grill on!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Ask her if she is so against killing animals for food, why as a vegetarian is she eating all of THEIR food?

That's just cruel.

Peace

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
in our local school they dont teach baa baa black sheep its baa baa rainbow sheep cause black sheep isn't politically correct
there is another one they changed too but cant think off top of my head

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hilarious! 'This little piggy had tofu.'

I saw an episode of some sitcom that was poking fun at militant vegetarians. It was great.
There was a vegetarian character who refusd to eat brocolli because he said 'a study showed that brocolli has a rudimenatry nervous system.'

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

LOL you mistake me for a madman!

No way in hell am I inviting the roof down upon my head by courting that kind of danger!

[100% sure I said "very militant"
]

I shall just remind her that pizza is legally considered a vegetable and then order a small meatlovers for myself and a large vegetarian for everybody else!

Because I am on board with this vegetarian thing ... it was the obscene distortion of what I held to be a precious and valuable childhood memory that I
at!

Do you have any opinion on the distorting history to a 9mnth old baby? Don't you find that objectionable?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ZonedOut

I admire people who can put up a good rant. Rather fond of HardCorps'. Your video had me chuckling.

About the tofu ... they're controlling your freedom to speak through political correctness. They must be "conspiring" behind your back to undermine your supreme authority. Something ... must be done.

edit on 1632014 by Snarl because: Spelling and quotes

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

What a thing to get mad about. That's the woman that brought your grandchild into the world and you're upset with her that she substituted a word in a nursery rhyme? You're that petty that you would let a silly, minor thing such as that cause you resentment? You understand that children from birth can pick up on negativity between adults and that grandchild of yours will never fully trust you or your love if you're snippy with it's mama.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Honkwoo1486

OMG!

All I can say is "Bahhhness" to rainbow sheep!!!

IMO it's a conspiracy to rewrite historical footnotes at the very age when the leaning child is most vulnerable to accepting any propaganda shoved down their throats!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

I have found a video of that very study on the broccoli nervous system here ...

Seems indeed that it is HIGHLY SENSITIVE!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Something must be done indeed!

Please see my peace plan about the Pizza!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

All you points are completely valid and I will in future be more mindful of the reality she wishes to project onto my/her grand/son!

However I still lament the distortion of what once was into a farcical pantomime far removed from its historical reality!

Aren't you shocked by this parents clear blatant militant desire to totally control every aspect of her sons 'reality' so that it no longer has any baring in 'reality'

What does such parenting bode for the rest of polite civilized society at large I know not, but I am 100% sure it isn't good!

edit on 16-3-2014 by ZonedOut because: to fix spelling.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I don't understand vegetarians at all. Nor do I understand how they are not iron deficient. I am a Muslim, so I will speak from my own perspective.

Everyone goes through phases of how religious they are... and whenever I was in a "eat only halal meat" phase I had to fight iron deficiency... but then, I cannot stand tofu and maybe that stuff has plenty of iron. It seemed, no matter how much spinach and greens I would eat I was still getting more and more deficient when I couldn't find meat that I could eat and occasionally I had to eat liver that wasn't halal to keep my health right, and this was with eating iron supplements too.

So, I just cannot understand how they don't become iron deficient.

That said, I am a VERY firm believer in raising your child to think for themselves and make their own choices. When my kids were young I always told them what I believed, and raised them in that belief... however, I never once kept them away from the fact there was a wide range of other beliefs out there.

My sister homeschooled because she didn't want her kids to be exposed to other kinds of thinking, but I could never go there because your kids are going to be exposed to it ALL as adults, and if they don't learn critical thinking and more as children, they will never survive in the real world at all.

Yes, I took the chance that my kids would end up believing something different than me.. but it is my job to raise my kids... not brainwash them!

It sounds like your daughter (?) simply doesn't want your grandchild to know there are other beliefs and other choices out there, and I would vehemently disagree with that.

But then, I always spoke to my kids as adults (never once did I talk down to them) and gave them a lot of credit for being able to think for themselves. That way never failed me as I believe my children turned out wonderful and they know how to think for themselves...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Thank You!

You personal insight into this issue was extremely helpful to me!

And what I learned from your post that moderation in all things is key!

I shall call upon Allah for guidance in this matter although I am not a Muslim!

[Note: BTW she is my daughter in law.]

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Concerned? Nope. She probably doesn't say the old traditional nursery rhymes or sing the old traditional lullabies... however when confronted with them opts to use substitutions. Nursery rhymes and lullabies came about as method of teaching young children about the world around them, to normalize it and help them make sense of it. Roast beef isn't going to be your grandchilds norm. She's a new mom, new mom's are militant about everything concerning their baby. Don't breathe on them, don't talk loud around them, only use this kind of blanket, never use plastic, use this cream on their butt and nothing else.... Trust me I'm a mom and I also care for infants as a profession. There's nothing more militant than a new mother. Instead of resenting her (which is impossible to hide) talk to her about stuff, ask her about her beliefs, embrace her. Your grandchild will be all the more secure for it.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Again you're 100% correct!

But from now on and forevermore I shall blame mothers individually and not society for the failings of society, culture and civilization!

Fathers won't be exempt either as the father of my grandson is divorcing my daughter in law and IMO neglecting his duties with his son!

Such is the consequence of sowing lies to children!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

This is about much more than just a nursery rhyme. If she wants all things, even the word "roast beef" kept away from her child then what happens when that child is faced with a world that eats meat?

When you hold a belief that the majority around you does not believe, vegetarianism being a practice that is not the norm in America, then you have to address that when the children are very very young... basically from day one.

Children hear you, and understand more than most people give them credit for.

She should be allowing the nursery rhyme to be said normally, and then say but we don't eat "roast beef" and say why we don't. Explain why... always explain (even if the child is 6 months old), always give the child credit of being able to understand and give them the thought process behind it. But never ever hide the world from the child.

That child will be faced with school lunches, and will always feel different... but if they understand and can explain why... they will be better off for it.

The child may not agree with the reason. I have debated my children on topics, and I have always allowed that because they are thinking it through and that is what is important, its not the end... its the ability to think and make decisions with all the evidence factored in. They will spend their life doing this, you just try to give them the best possible start, and YOUR reasons why you believe what you do... they will decide what they believe in the end - no matter what you do.
edit on 16-3-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
There is nothing amusing about revisionist history. "F" vegetarians.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

However I still lament the distortion of what once was into a farcical pantomime far removed from its historical reality!

I understand how you feel. It is the same way I feel when I hear a favorite song from my younger days stolen by a no-talent top 40 artist who simply add their "music" on top of it and present it to a generation as their own.

However, I would say two things about your situation. First, you really don't know that your version of the rhyme is the original historic version of the "piggy" poem. Maybe some grandfather in the middle ages was thinking, "Roast Beef? Ha, it my day is was 'Raw Beef!' they are ruining it!" My point being, it is your childhood memory, enjoy it. This will be his.

Second, in time you may be able to have a discussion with him about the way it was when you were a child... someday. When all parties have matured enough to have an open and public conversation about one of the food groups. Meat. So, have patience. All can be revealed.

edit on 16-3-2014 by Dapaga because: left out the word "a"

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
error delete?
edit on 16-3-2014 by Dapaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Conversely you can continue to say tofu instead of roast beef until the child is a little older and then explain that originally the rhyme said roast beef but we don't eat roast beef so I changed that word. There are all sorts of diets in America these days. There's kosher, halal, vegetarian isn't that uncommon anymore, there's dairy free, nut free. It isn't hiding the world from your child to change a word in a nursery rhyme while they're very young and have no exposure. I don't understand this mentality of making mountains of molehills.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join