"Shill Hysteria" Is Destroying the Conspiracy Theorist World

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
If it's a paying gig, how much are those guys pulling in? I mean, I didn't get paid jack when I was in the navy assigned to the NAVSECGRUCOM, but loved doing that kind of stuff on DoD networks. Total fun. If they're paying anything decent, I'd take that job. The funny thing is why does it make a difference? The title to the post has the words "Conspiracy" and "Theorist" side by side. Now once you've exposed a conspiracy, it's no longer a conspiracy. just like if you "prove" a theory, then it's no longer a theory. and if there are "government" agents stalking online chat rooms? that's almost like sending money to egypt or iraq or A-stan. Total waste. it would be fun to talk to those folks though. speaking of which. ECHELON OUTBOARD PARPRO OPERATION EL DORADO CANYON. Hey NSA folks! How/s that taxpayer coffee? Hot? Smooth? and the donuts and pastries, nice and fresh, mostly? Good. Hey. Just wanted to stop and thank you guys. I know you get a lot of gruff from us citizens, but having worked with you all I know how important the work you do is. Keep it up. I'm not gonna thank you for your service. that's kinds dumb. But I will say BRAVO ZULU! also, you guys rock. also, say hi to Brian and Danny and Susan for me! Cheers. Your old buddy "The Angry Young Man" !
Anyway, what where you saying about government trolls ?
! ! !
edit on 3172014 by tencap77 because: Spelling. Also. for the NSA guys. Remeber that kegger whe had at Dam Neck! Awesome !

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Okey doke, I misread it. I thought you were saying you were talking about something and then tv people addressed your topic.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Never Despise

LOL, shills are all over ATS and anywhere, where there are those saying that obvious truth is a conspiracy...more often than not you can spot them by their inability to comprehend simple logic. I'm serious, this is how you spot them, they spit in the face of reason and should really ride a short yellow bus to somewhere where there are trained nurses to care for them.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Most people have this problem:

- They believe

But like Moulder, I want to believe, but I can't, until I have sufficient proof.

Is this the only way? No. Should other think like me? Of course not, everybody's free to do what they want.

However, with that said, it is fairly obvious that if people start to get emotional when their pet belief is attacked or not supported, and resort to name-calling like "shill!" then they themselves have something to work on. They have a strong emotional belief. Truth does not require that. Truth just is. It stands on its own. Doesn't need defending, fighting over or getting all twisted up with one's own knickers.

Have I reacted emotionally myself? Of course I have. Countless of time. Am I likely to do so in the future? Very likely.

Yet, in the end, these teach meand the more I can shed this useless emotional fighting, the closer to a more neutral truth I get.

This is what matters in the end.

When I finally have a calm, self-centered and sure knowing, that is neutral, devoid of emotional defences and can withstand any attack, whether that's emotional outburst or analytical nit-picking, then what do I care what other people think?

And until I'm there, I have stuff to work on.

Great thread, hats off to the OP!

edit on 18-3-2014 by Pathaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
To answer your question intelligence agents around the world make between $10,000 and $12,000 per month depending on the assignment.

Americans in America employed as contract agents for the CIA are normally paid by the job, At any one time there are about 1,000 in America that are employed.

A typical assignment would be a housewife that is home all day is ask to look out her kitchen window frequently and if she sees this vehicle to call this number and report this. That is all. The need to know basis is quite shrewd and an assignment like this would pay $5,000 that would come overnight delivery. The CIA can't work in America so the money is tax free. However, some people don't understand-no matter how many times they are told-that once you accept their money there is no turning back. To do so would not be very wise.

As far as disinformation agents to troll different websites and become members to spread whatever I doubt they would be paid in cash like other agents because they would be difficult to track. They would be compensated with 'incentives' and that could be a host of things. I think this would be more like the police offering someone who is caught slinging weed an 'incentive' to rat up-reduced sentence or whatever. So to answer the question I would think most of the 'shills' have something hanging over their heads and this is a way out. I know a lot of this was done during the big file-sharing craze in which the Feds would give you a choice of being fined 20 large or go undercover and expose your buddies-however that was done in the days before torrents if there are any here that remember.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

rigel4
Personally I think 99.99% of Shill calling
is falsely claimed.. That and a bit of a
buzzword.

Agreed that "shill" is an internet buzz-word... it contains no useful information in the word itself.. the word is most often used in derogatory context against others... it is an emotional word that gives satisfaction to the one using it and it gives frustration to the one it is used against... it is a useless word (read: noise) in the context of an internet debate on a forum.

In a formal debate environment the use of ad hominem against the opponent is never allowed. Too many people think that they can just post ad hominem and get away with it... those people lose credibility for themselves when they sink down to that level.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Excellent post, and a real and serious issue, potentially. it's part of a bigger issue, I believe; that of ANY group that tries to negatively label any and all that disagree with their own point of view. We have all seen this happen. Just substitute any of a number of other labels for "shill", and it's the same thing. The old, "I don't like you or agree with you, so I am going to call you names" mentality, hard at work in yet another area. I have seen "troll" used as often as "shill", too, on this site and others. Not for people actually doing it, even, but for those that simply express another opinion than the one the name-caller chooses. it's beyond ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I think this is not just isolated to our community. I find the same thing happening with the word "Hater". So many people use that word to label someone just bc they have a different viewpoint. In this day and age of rampant political correctness, it seems as though the "Hater" moniker is a weapon used to brand perceived enemies.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I am sure there are lots of shills here. At least we have some popen Masons on this forum.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SilverStarGazer

I think this is not just isolated to our community. I find the same thing happening with the word "Hater". So many people use that word to label someone just bc they have a different viewpoint. In this day and age of rampant political correctness, it seems as though the "Hater" moniker is a weapon used to brand perceived enemies.

I think it's a little more than that. different viewpoints are tolerated, how can they not be in this day and age?
it's the ones whom are there solely to disrupt, not caring what the viewpoints are that are the problem...they are the shills.

If one has a 'point of view' on something, there are reasons for them thinking that...there is some basis for their belief. Whether it be something taught, some values...etc.

when one argues with a shill, the only basis on the shills part is pushing an agenda. it does not do that because it believes in what it pushed, that is it's job.

Government Sock Puppets; Channel 4 WWL in New Orleans detailing the results of their special investigation into allegations that Army Core of Engineer Employees have been using sock puppet Internet Personas to systematically attack American Citizens critical of the Army Core of Engineering in relation to Hurricane Katrina and the failed levies there. youtube.com/watch?v=12_tsowgA9Q

Shills have been used for Centuries to sway the masses...why is it so hard to understand they are shill used today to sway public opinion.

shills ignore evidence, facts, science, what ever it takes to push their agenda.

how can one discuss something with one whom is there solely for the agenda and does not care, or acknowledge anything else factual.

wanna see shills in their natural habitat??????

go to any 9-11 thread and try to have an actual discussion based on the supporting evidence found and science....see how far ya get.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

DarksideOz

What I class shill-like behaviour is having a clear, one-sided argument that doesn't not change no matter what evidence, facts or even suggestions are made. This is usually a shill outing themselves as a shill. And that is one thing I have found in the past, a shill will always end up revealing themselves if you can remain patient enough and not sink to their level.

While skimming through this thread, I had to reply to this.

A clear, one-sided argument can be irritating to argue with, but its a clear indication of someone having some pretty hardcore beliefs that they absolutely abide by, and while its frustrating to deal with regardless of their particular beliefs, I respect anyone who cares about their beliefs enough to defend them so strongly. That is honestly lacking in the world.

Sadly, sometimes it can also indicate that they are hiding something... they are hiding something so contradictory to their beliefs that they put on a front to protect their closet skeletons... so, I can understand where you're coming from... but you must understand, some people really have beliefs they advocate, and if you're experienced with liars, you can tell who's honestly stuck to their beliefs, and who's hiding some dirty little secret.

Oh yes, and since no one's played this card yet, ima point out the elephant.

You don't think shill hysteria is destroying the conspiracy community?

Let me lay out the general gist of a conspiracy eaten alive with shill hysteria.

Lets say that, because of one or two families that descended from Khazarian Jews who happen to be in power now, that means there's a massive Jewish conspiracy to start a new world order, lead by the Jews. Jews rule the world.

Now, lets say that a man named Alex Jones, the most well-known name in the alternative community, who started making one-camera rag-tag documentaries at a young age about China's involvement in our economy, someone who's dedicated his life and his sanity to waking up the regular people of the world, is actually a puppet master for the Jews who rule the world. He bashes the government and exposes their secrets because he's actually a shill, working for that government.

And just for the hell of it, lets say these shills and Jews are reptilian aliens.

Does that sound logical in any sense? I mean, come on.

Shill hysteria.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I've noticed this "shill" thing as an automatic response by people who have lost an argument a lot.

I have quite a strong interest in astronomy and space, and on several forums I've produced reasoned arguments and evidence against some of the more outlandish theories out there: YouTube-calibre stuff that nobody capable of rational thought would believe in once they'd done a bit of digging, like the Apollo program being a hoax, or giant crystal domes on the moon, or Nibiru coming to destroy us all, you know the sort of thing.

And it's astonishing how many times I've been accused of being paid by NASA to spread disinformation. I wish! NASA is facing enough funding issues as it is without paying people like me to try to battle the rising tide of ignorance in the internet!

The reason I bash my head against the wall of woo is that I am a scientist at heart. I like facts and truth and I hate seeing people barking up the wrong tree. I particularly hate the modern trend of "Everyone's opinion is equally valid" - even when that opinion has been demonstrated to be mistaken. If science and technology operated along those lines then none of us would be sitting here writing in the internet, we'd still be scratching marks in the dirt!

When I was a kid I loved getting books out of the library with UFO and ghost photos, that kind of thing. But the interesting part for me was always the analysis, the delving and discovering what the photos actually showed. There's some great stuff like this on ATS (what first attracted me to join was the excellent deconstruction of the "Cumbria Spaceman" photo which I'd seen in a book in the 1980s!) but there's also a heck of a lot of "Hey this looks a bit weird, must be a conspiracy!" and refusal to accept simple explanations without accusing people of being paid off by the government!

Hell, if anyone wants to pay me to mess around on the internet looking at photos of the moon, I'm all ears

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

"Shill Hysteria" Is Destroying the Conspiracy Theorist World

No it is not.

We have witnessed the terrifying growth of the total surveillance society, the tracking of our every move online and off, by companies and countries alike, and (most recently), the irrefutable proof that shills infiltrate forums and other social media platforms with the intent of manipulating opinion. It's getting scary, folks.

Seems like this is the actual problem.

But in side-by-side with these worrisome trends has grown another -- a kind of witch-hunt hysteria where it seems everyone and everything is decried as "shilling," "disinfo," or the like. Yes, this stuff exists. And yes, we have to be on our guard against it. But at the same time we don't want to be so excessively skeptical that our doubt leads us into another kind of ignorance -- what happened with the hysteria of Salem, the French Reign of Terror, the Red Terror of the Bolsheviks, the East German Stasi, and the Chinese Cultural Revolution.

Really, you are comparing those historical societal events to an internet forum? That's quit the reach and a bit dramatic and hysterical if you ask me.

Because the ultimate victory for the bad guys isn't them oppressing us: It's them getting us to let our fear lead us into policing ourselves for them.

Yes, this sounds nice but it makes no sense. You are suggesting that currently people that are trying to expose conspiracies are being shut up by their own because they are being labeled shills. This is nonsense.

I think the shills are actually too well protected and there is obvious site sponsored shilling. Yes some people call other members shills because they can't win a discussion. This is only a small problem compared to all the real shilling going on and I don't see the need for this overly dramatic thread focussing on a vitually non existant problem and its unrealistic consequences.

Weird.

Are you perhaps a shill?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SkeetFighter

Yes, this sounds nice but it makes no sense. You are suggesting that currently people that are trying to expose conspiracies are being shut up by their own because they are being labeled shills. This is nonsense.

Clearly, you have never visited the 9-11 Forum.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

The 911 forum is a perfect example of site sponsored shilling.

And I don't see conspiracy theorists being called shills by their own overthere. It's the "skeptics" that are being labeled shills, in many cases rightfully so.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

The 9/11 conspiracy world is a whole bundle of crazy that I don't even dip my toes in these days for fear of being infected. I think the tipping point came when I saw somebody claim that the towers were destroyed by a missile cloaked by a holographic aeroplane. It's like a kind of competition to see who can be most outrageous, and I'm pretty sure that most of the people who come up with that stuff don't actually believe it; they're just trying to attract attention and express whatever beefs they have with the world at large. And if you dare to disagree then you're "just believing what the government tells you" rather than, say, looking at the evidence yourself and weighing it up on its own merits.

Do I believe that governments hide things from us? Of course they do. The world couldn't operate if they didn't have some secrets. But a certain paranoid fringe takes that fact and extrapolates it until they convince themselves that NOTHING is what it appears, and there are spies and shills everywhere. It must be pretty tiring living your life like that!

The psychology of conspiracy theorists is actually quite interesting to me. It's often the case that the people who claim "the masses" are brainwashed and closed minded are actually the most closed minded of all. No amount of evidence will change their beliefs, and anything that appears to contradict them must be faked or planted by a shill. It's turtles all the way down...
edit on 21-3-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

SkeetFighter
reply to post by DJW001

The 911 forum is a perfect example of site sponsored shilling.

And I don't see conspiracy theorists being called shills by their own overthere. It's the "skeptics" that are being labeled shills, in many cases rightfully so.

So... you think the 'The No Planers' are sincere?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob48

The whole 9/11 conspiracy world is a whole bundle of crazy that I don't even dip my toes in these days for fear of being infected. I think the tipping point came when I saw somebody claim that the towers were destroyed by a missile cloaked by a holographic aeroplane. It's like a kind of competition to see who can be most outrageous, and I'm pretty sure that most of the people who come up with that stuff don't actually believe it; they're just trying to attract attention and express whatever beefs they have with the world at large.

So you are saying they are like.....shills?

My god you are destroying the conspiracy world. Perhaps the op has a point.

About the 911 forum, you can discuss everything 911, except for no-plane theories, just like the Sandy Hook fakery is a forbidden subject.

This should tell you something about allegiance and shilling.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

This should tell you something about allegiance and shilling.

What do you think it tells you?

new topics
top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join