It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Shill Hysteria" Is Destroying the Conspiracy Theorist World

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Never Despise

I still remember the first time i read the word. It was a few years ago and only a few were using it. To me it seemed like another way to confuse people and make them fight each other, not only that but it is mindblowingly ridiculous to see adults use the word so many times when they are contradicted or when they dont like someone's ideas. And i was right. Most people cant stop shill hunting others today. It makes them waste their time and divert their attention. This is a success.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I'm sure there was a point you were trying to make somewhere here.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I wish I could say that it's obvious who is a "shill" and who is not, but I forget that not everyone has the same level of BS detector as myself or others. That being said, MY concern isn't GOV'T "shills", who we know are here and to me, can be spotted from word one of their posts, but those who really do just oppose the majority of opinions given in a site like this. I'm not saying they don't have the right to their opinions, but why they are here in the first place, as members of a "conspiracy site", is suspect in many cases.
I recall recently a post, true or not can't be sure, about an ATS member who's neighbor was contacted by a TV production company because they wanted his help. I personally would feel compelled to move if this happened to me. When someone wants to contact me because they see my item on Etsy, they create an Etsy account that day and message me. They don't track down my location and start contacting neighbors.
We all know the NSA and other "TPTB" know who we are and what we think, because we're here and we're not shy about it on here. What about those who are either possible lone loonies or belong to Westboro or something? That's scarier to me. If the Gov knows about me, they know I'm of no concern, other than being a big mouth on occasion. If someone doesn't like my big mouth, they may take action on their own, or lie to the Gov about me.
The changes we've seen with the internet and post 9-11 is that now everyone is just like any male or parent on the planet. Constantly in danger. Why?
Well because if you're a male, and a woman tells a cop you raped her, you are guilty until proven innocent.
If you are a parent, and someone says you abused your child, they will take them from you, and you are guilty until proven innocent. It's been that way for a LONG time folks, and good for women & children, but bad for innocent people with psycho exes. So now just add "terrorist" to that list. Don't like what I say on here? I must be a terrorist. Bye bye rights.
Makes me kinda think twice about even saying THIS on here.
I posted on facebook once "I kinda wanna make a new profile with just 'NSA' as the name and 'like' everything illegal my friends post", as in, wow my friends are stupid. Well I immediately got 2 new friend requests from obviously fake profiles. So a week later I tested it - just posted "NSA" - same thing.
We should never forget tho, we all have the ability to fight internet trolling in the most effective way possible, on here or any site. It's so easy you'd be surprised you hadn't thought of it before. It's called, "Delete Profile".
I'm not quite there yet, and if you can read this, then neither are you I guess.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Great thread, Never Despise!

You are spot on with the use of the shill as well as being vigilant against shills. I'd also add that there are a lot of idiots out there. Far from being shills they are just plain ignorant to facts.

However, even worse than the shillery running rampant through Conspiracy Fact/Theory (CFT) communities is an ever growing concern that you touched on. Neighbor ratting out neighbor. It started under the Bush administration, suggesting to ALL Americans it was their duty to "spot and report the suspicious neighbor or citizen" because OMG they might be the next terrorist.

You add both of these things - government encouragement of fearful skepticism of normal people + the increased shill/manipulation among CFT communities and it only gets worse.

Compound it with the recent attitudes (attacks) taken by the government and mainstream media about:
1. Founding fathers
2. Americans that desire to uphold the Constitution
3. Americans with guns
ETC...

It's a constant barrage of "be suspicious" that easily spills over into the CFT communities. I would rather argue with someone and make valid points than use the "shill" word. As you pointed out, it's utterly lazy.

Personally, I don't care about shills or ignorant people. They can't be helped. I'm here to provide what little knowledge/opinion I have to those that are interested. Hopefully, I also can learn for those with knowledge/opinion that are willing to share. I am not above changing my viewpoint as long as there are facts to back it up.

Again, great post and thanks!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Isn't that rather the point?

It's not the content that's important.....It's the concept.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I was on my local news site the other day reading about the GMO labeling bill in committee in MA. There were a couple of people on the comments refuting everyone's anti-GMO comments, and knew way too many facts & details to be casual readers. I looked into their post histories, and sure enough, there were days when they spent the entire day commenting on GMO stories all over the country. If they spend the time of a full-time job commenting on 1 topic over and over again, it is likely a shill.

At least on the news site, I was able to call them shills and not have any consequences. They really got my blood boiling, because others on the forum really wanted a good conversation. Instead, it was a shill-fest. Frustrating.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I know, the amount of shills out over the past year or two has grown exponentially. Its not even worth commenting in most threads anymore.

Its not for me, but for those who dont know whats going on and are looking for real info it can be very confusing, which is their goal. :-/
edit on 17-3-2014 by AmenStop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

edit on 17-3-2014 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The only real way you can tell the difference between a "shill" and a "actual" person, is if you get involved in serious research. One off hand comment does not make a shill, nor does reference to what could be guessed about your comings and goings, but when you notice both in person and online that certain people(s) repeatedly make comments about what is going on in your private residence or make references to specific "thoughts" (yes the secret government has the technology to "read" thoughts), that could not be guessed, then you got yourself a possible shill.

I usually take it easy with the shills, because any "shill" worth his/her salt, will deny they are a shill and will act like an "actual" person for a short period of time to throw you off, furthermore it makes it easier to mistakenly accuse "actual" people as shills.

Rather, work on circumventing their technology, for example constructing a room with PURE IRON walls 3 mm thick will attenuate any radio waves emitted by your nervous system. Also, keep the Iron walls clean, they have some sort of "thin film" technology that allows them to shrink monitoring equipment below the resolution of the eye, so they can have cameras, antennas, motion sensors, radio recievers and storage devcies so small they can attach them to any surface. Since they are so small they are easy to break and/or remove using a very simple technology called "sand paper" or a sander, so simply sand down the walls. Also make sure it is difficult to gain access to the iron room, since they can always come back and place more robust sensors.

Also, building well engineered Helmholtz coils using random noise generators 0hz - 100hz+ and 1Mhz - 3Ghz will jam their ability to recieve nervous system radio waves also, using a cell phone jamming device, works amazingly well in disrupting their communication infrastructure.

By blinding their ability to gather information, the shills won't be able to function, they'll be walking around like zombies looking for brains.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Personally I think 99.99% of Shill calling
is falsely claimed.. That and a bit of a
buzzword.

edit on Mon, 17 Mar 2014 17:59:24 -0500595America/ChicagoMonday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Personally I think 99.99% of Shill calling is falsely claimed.. That and a bit of a buzzword

How do you know this, more importantly how could you know this in any accurate manner? Is this a guess on your part? In any case shills do exist, it is difficult to demonstrate, but I believe I have met or interacted with some. It's easy to judge when you haven't experienced it.

Shills have always been the bug-a-boo of UFO researchers and conspiracy theorists in general, yet, UFO reseachers and conspiracy theorists are still here and still making progress. They aren't "destroying" anything, constant survealliance, harassment, and putting people in a state of constant crisis is what is affecting the state of conspiracy theorists. But, no matter how hard they try, the truth will one day come out.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Ohhh a shill thread.. My presence should heat things up

peek-a-boo!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

seabhac-rua
I think it is interesting that in some people's 'conspiracy world' shills are an essential component, whether they "undoubtedly" exist or not.

If a person refuses to accept and/or repeatedly challenges a given 'theory' then they get labeled a shill, at least that's the way it works here on ATS. It's as if some people cannot accept the fact that others will question what they vehemently hold to be true, therefore they must be working in the services of dark powers. Funny really.

This statement makes the most sence to me.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

You don't have to be a planted aware shill on payroll to be a shill. They (top 500 rulers +3 assistants each that make all the global decisions in each G20 Nation)=(about 30,000) simply release the MEMEs (cultural mind viruses and thought forms)and let you the rest of the 99% run with it.

100 forms of Tribal group think takes over from there.
This is how so few control so many effortlessly.
No mystery.

Your picture illustrates it nicely.
edit on 17-3-2014 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

You're right, that section attracts quite a lot of the ignorant. But usually the ignorant reveal themselves as well. Well hopefully ?

But as I said earlier, the hard part is determining whether or not it's a shill or just ignorance. The best clue is that the shill will have an agenda, whereas the ignorant will be a little more inconsistent.

I personally think that the shills tend to stick more to the Government and political style threads, whereas the ignorant tend to be more drawn to the religious threads, but I think we can both agree that each have no boundaries in terms of threads.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Have you ever seen on caller ID:

United States Government
United States
Washington, DC
Department of Justice
US Government
Chicago, Ill.

Have you had people, out of the blue, try run you, and your family members, off the road?

Been driving from home to work, only to notice that almost as soon as you left, someone is driving almost fanatically, to try to keep up with you? Especially if, in traffic, you try to lose them? Making overly dramatic, obvoiusly dangerous lane changes, high speeds, running lights, to be certain they didn't lose track of you? Making it obvious they were following you, and not caring that you made them?

Even when you make an evasive maneuver, such as suddenly turning off at a store, or changing your route, to have them drive right by you, making direct eye contact, making a u-turn, and coming to park in the same parking lot you are in, but at a distance? That, when you approach their vehicle on foot, flee before you get to them, yet, when you leave, get back on your tail again?

To have your phone ring, with all those odd caller ID's, at any and every time of the day and night, 1 am, 4 am, 8 am, up to 30, 40 times a day? And when you answer, no one will speak, they just breathe a minute, then hang up?

To have emails with news stories emailed to you, about things you talked about in posts, from spoofed email addresses? Things you know hit a nerve, then, to hear a certain politician actually make a statement in public REFUTING YOUR point? Sound far fetched? It's happened, and it's not far fetched... certain politicians have made seemingly bizarre, out of the blue statements, like they grabbed onto the thought and blurted it out, as in self defense, but oh no, it was in direct response to something YOU said. Something anonymously emailed to you, only days, even hours before that politician makes that seemingly bizarre statement. It is coincidence? Sure.

How about getting odd texts? Ever get strange texts from someone you don't know? I did. Remember I said I toyed with them? I did. I replied back with texts, oh yes I did. Texts that were agitating, lies, to get a response. In particular, one from Chicago, Ill. I stated, on particular occasions, I enjoyed seeing them. That I hoped no one saw the messages. That I enjoyed certain public statements that were made, couldn't wait to see them again, talk to them again. Gave the impression of an affair. Take that as you will.

It was after that, someone tried to run me off the road, twice in one week. Same vehicle. Once on the way to work, once on the way home.

There is always someone home, but, things have happened outside my home. Things have been moved, door knockings in the middle of the night, etc. I live in a no outlet neighborhood, yet, many, many, vehicles cruise through, driving aimlessly, over, and over, and over. Sometimes, stopping outside my home, just sitting on the road several minutes, leaving, then circling around and coming back again. People getting out, standing in the road, and taking pictures of my home. They just like my house, right? Obviously, some traffic is normal, and no, I don't view everyone as being "them".

All of that coincidence? Perhaps. Paranoid? Sure. Wouldn't you be?

Leave work in the early morning, still dark, car parked one lane behind, been someone sitting in it ALL night (I go out to my car on smoke breaks), and when I go to leave, the car is already running, and leaves when I do. Following me. It gets where you don't care anymore. Following you, all the way home, only to turn off at the road you turn off to your house. Coincidence? Ok.

Explain why, when I made a public announcement that I had changed my stance, "seen the light", "admitted I was mistaken", all of it stopped. I staged phone calls stating the same, how wrong I had been. I sounded convincing, I wanted to.

Suddenly, the calls, the following, odd texts, all of it. Just stopped. Not just me, but my husband, as well. As, as soon as I start it up, or another topic that seems to be agitating, it all starts again, and each time, it seems to escalate.

Even my husband thought I was paranoid, until they latched onto him. He started paying more attention, asking me more about what had been going on. Then, he warned me, too. He asked me, told me, to back off.

He was the one that pointed out, what good does it do you in the end, so what if you are right? What do you get out of it?

He was right, you know. So, intimidation tactics work. They do what they were designed to do. Stuff on forums is small stuff. Words, nothing more. Stuff that bleeds over, crosses that line into real life, that's a whole other potato to peel.

There was more I didn't discuss, for personal reasons, because, I simply have nothing to prove, and, I am concerned also about gaining attention for talking about it. Somewhat. I could likely post images of the caller ID, with the phone numbers, I am sure they were spoofed. They aren't traceable, and usually come back to out of service numbers if you call them back. But it didn't stop them from calling in.

I could even post screen shots of the bizarre texts, they were on a different phone, though, and may have been lost. I dropped it in water.

But, seriously, what would it prove? I even got pictures and videos of some of the vehicles. What would that prove? I did that, because when I called my husband, he said to get pics in case something happened. Something not good.

Thing is, I know at any time, anyone could be disappeared, if they wanted. It isn't serious enough for that. They just want to send a clear enough message, back off.

Seems to me they go through a lot of trouble, though, and are only a few steps away from disappearing someone. Do I want to push it? For some forum postings? Nope. To make a point? Nope. To take a stand against them? Nope, they obviously have more power than I do. Again, and I reitterate, it just isn't worth it.

I get it.

I am sure many will read this, and think, mental illness, crazy, paranoid, lunatic. Guess what? I don't care. It took a long time for me to admit and accept the truth, and for my husband to, as well. That's ok. For some people, it's really hard to accept that your government would do things like that, but, they do.

We have a very petty, thin skinned president, and he doesn't like people making fun of him and his mom jeans. If talking about his mom jeans bothers him bad enough to make a public scene about it, imagine how twisted he gets when people say other things about him. Think about that.

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

Obama wants people to quit bashing his jeans

And folks, this is during the Russia Ukraine crisis, the missing plane, the economy, the ACA, everything. And THIS is what's bothering him?

Think about it! Nothing I have said is farcfetched when put into context with this.

edit on 17-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
what bothers me is that in addition to government shills, we have all these corporate shills...

I mean they make themselves obvious when they show information from a right-wing think tank, that's basically funded by various high-profile business interests.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Despite the minor annoyance of the shills, I don't see a huge problem. Anyone who gets distracted and wound up by losing focus of their sharing of ideas sort of deserves what they get. In life, we are supposed to move around the needless distractions, not through them. Plus, they're easy to spot. They have no relevant points, and clearly are there to distract and/or irritate.
edit on 07America/Chicago14pm07u03pm3 by HeyAHuman because: typo

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Libertygal
To have emails with news stories emailed to you, about things you talked about in posts, from spoofed email addresses? Things you know hit a nerve, then, to hear a certain politician actually make a statement in public REFUTING YOUR point? Sound far fetched? It's happened, and it's not far fetched... certain politicians have made seemingly bizarre, out of the blue statements, like they grabbed onto the thought and blurted it out, as in self defense, but oh no, it was in direct response to something YOU said. Something anonymously emailed to you, only days, even hours before that politician makes that seemingly bizarre statement. It is coincidence? Sure.

You actually believe this? That people you don't know on TV are speaking to you? This doesn't seem far-fetched?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

No. I don't think "people on tv are talking to me". I think things that have been posted on forums as topics of discussion, both here and other forums, are addressed.

Is that so far fetched? I don' t think so. Many people have picked up on personalities, such as Glenn Beck and others, coming here and using topics from ATS. It is not absurd, or beyond feaseable.

Of course, when you word it the way you did, it was intended to sound as such.

I see what you did there.

It's to be expected.

ETA - just so happens, an example just presented itself. Read the second post on the page here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you were the person that brought up that topic, had received anonymous spoofed emails quoting it, then it was specifically addressed in detail, how would YOU feel?

A little odd, I assure you.

Just in the last week alone I've read something on ATS and heard it repeated on a news channel.

edit on 17-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join