It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadwood on HBO this Weekend.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I put it up there as one of the top 3 dramas I have ever watched.

The quality of acting across the board was unmatched by any show I have seen with the exception of Breaking Bad which had a much smaller cast. Don't let the dialogue become an issue for you if you have never watched the show. As a whole it is brutal, violent, dirty, rough and extreme much like I imagine the American frontier was at that time. The best part is , while artistic liberty was obviously taken , just about every character and building was based on a historical figure.

For anyone that has never seen the show HBO is showing it from start to finish this weekend.

www.uproxx.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Give "True Detective" a watch.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I checked Deadwood on IMDb and all I have to say is I'm not exactly a fan of shows or movies that are based in 1800s. The rating is higher than I'd expected it would be but I'm going to say no even though I'll probably regret it and as long as I don't watch it I won't have anything to regret.

While we're on the topic of T.v shows. I been wanting to make a thread on a show I started watching a show called Perception. First thing I thought of when I watched it was the ATS Community. It's a rather well thought out show with some interesting intellectual dialogue and with a 7+ rating - I recommend it.

Even Dr.Daniel Pierce is not a fan of Big Brother. I'm sure most of you will love it, if not all because I sure do.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

baboogdi
reply to post by opethPA

That show is one of the best Detective shows I've ever seen. I wonder how the show will do next Season without Matthew McConaughey or Woody Harrelson. If it wasn't for the brilliant acting of these great actors I'm not even sure myself I would have continued to watch it or not. Hard to say.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Deadwood is great up until the end, left hanging.
For that it is one of the worst.

True detective was good but I feel that could have been a bit more had it had more time, still great though.

Next season is all but confirmed to be a different story all together, hope that is not true.
edit on 31am1212amSun, 16 Mar 2014 00:01:37 -050031 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Deadwood was fantastic the writing was top drawer a bit like shakespere for t.v but set in the 1880s one of the best show's around and believable .

wow how time flys 10 years old that is near my mental age

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

TheProphetMark

baboogdi
reply to post by opethPA

That show is one of the best Detective shows I've ever seen. I wonder how the show will do next Season without Matthew McConaughey or Woody Harrelson. If it wasn't for the brilliant acting of these great actors I'm not even sure myself I would have continued to watch it or not. Hard to say.

What's up with changing up the actors?
I saw jimmy kimmel and seth rogen's version, not so great lol.
edit on 16-3-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I may have to check this out. I was a big fan of Breaking Bad, it was the first show i've ever seen from beginning to end with addiction. since then i have grown an allegiance to Walking Dead, and a small amount to Helix from the SyFy Channel. but i'll admit, Helix is nowhere near comparative, i feel almost ashamed to admit i watch it. has anyone watched Hell On Wheels from AMCTV? the same network did both Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, which are the only shows I will/would watch "religiously". i wonder if Hell On Wheels is decent..

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Deadwood the series is a good show, fairly accurate on most things. I have lived here for 20 years and the history is still alive here. You can walk the same streets, sit at the same bars, and pan gold in the same creeks. Lots has changed since I first moved here but the history and gold are still plenty if you know where to look.

Thanks for the heads up for the wknd.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Taggart
Deadwood is great up until the end, left hanging.
For that it is one of the worst.

True detective was good but I feel that could have been a bit more had it had more time, still great though.

Next season is all but confirmed to be a different story all together, hope that is not true.
edit on 31am1212amSun, 16 Mar 2014 00:01:37 -050031 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

That's the problem with shows based on history, they couldn't really do what the logical thing would have been at the end of the show.

They also thought they had another season or at least a 2 hour film to end things,..

As for True Detective..I loved episodes 1-7 and while the end was solid I don't think it was up to par of the previous ones..
As per the creator of the show this coming season will be about hard women and the occult history of the US Railway system

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

ParanoidAmerican
reply to post by opethPA

Deadwood the series is a good show, fairly accurate on most things. I have lived here for 20 years and the history is still alive here. You can walk the same streets, sit at the same bars, and pan gold in the same creeks. Lots has changed since I first moved here but the history and gold are still plenty if you know where to look.

Thanks for the heads up for the wknd.

Very cool.
That to me is what made Deadwood work , beyond the acting , characters and dialogue, was the fact that it is a real place that was there in the 1800s but also is still there now.

Do the characters from the show/history play a big part in your town? Sort of how Aliens are a key part of Roswell.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
To me the power of True Detective was the writing and the acting. When I can watch actors and not sit there thinking 'that's Woody Harrelson and that's Matthew McConaughhey' then the writing and acting are superb.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ParanoidAmerican

are you partying it up this weekend? I was there last year for st patty's weekend, it was a massive # show haha

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

baboogdi
To me the power of True Detective was the writing and the acting. When I can watch actors and not sit there thinking 'that's Woody Harrelson and that's Matthew McConaughhey' then the writing and acting are superb.

Yup, in my opinion Deadwood had that even more than True Detective did..
Both are great shows for sure.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nomoregmo

FWIW, I dig Hell On Wheels. There was a Thomas Durant and there was a real scandal involving the railroads and Le Credit Mobilier bank, so it's a partially true story. The rest is sort of like Deadwood, as there are no specifics really known about what relly went down in Deadwood as it's burned down twice. HOW is what I'd figure it was almost like building the railroads, as someone said similarly about Deadwood earlier.

Interesting thought, as I really don't know how much was documented about bulding the railroads and what the day to day life was really like. May have to search out a book or two. They did catch flak for not having Chinese builders but this is east to west, where they weren't used. Which shows how the story has been distorted over the years, no one seemed to know the Chinese didn't build the whole thing.

Anyway, I've still never seen season three of Deadwood and don't have HBO, so I'm going to have to get Netflix or whatever and rent that. I did enjoy the show, especially since I saw it shortly after I had visited Deadwood(too bad the town was closed as it was colder than a witches crotch that day) and it really gave me a feel for a place that, up until that time, I knew nothing about. Cool little history lesson Deadwood was for me.

new topics

top topics

join