It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Pigs Overrun Homeowners in Northern Ca

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Check this out, ATS

Feral Pigs are taking over in San Jose, Ca. These pigs are not to be taken lightly; some of them weigh as much as 300lbs! They attack/chase residents and so far, no one has been able to get rid of them.

gma.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
That's crazy

As dangerous as they can be, they recommend fences?!

"It is difficult and costly to have a lasting impact on the pig populations in this area through trapping or hunting," they write in the manual. "It is illegal to relocate pigs … it is dangerous to the community to hunt pigs."
The city says the most effective way for homeowners to get rid of the pigs is to put up low, sturdy fences in their yards. Other recommendations include using chemicals to rid lawns of bugs on which the pigs feed and putting up motion detectors to scare them away with lights or sound.

Illegal to relocate or hunt?!!

It's a good thing they don't reproduce like rabbits.....

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yeah, my first thought was "shoot em" but I read later that they can't hunt so I don't know what they'll do.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Maybe bear traps, those large roomy things they wander into and the door closes.

Then since they can't be relocated, into the stew pot.
Or onto the barbeque if they don't get tough when they go wild

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Why is this in cryptozoology? It's not like feral pigs are an unknown.

Hawaii is loaded with them, along with plenty of hunters and BBQs. I once saw a line up of boar skulls hanging on a line drying (!); got to take some very long and impressive canine teeth home as souvenirs for the kiddies.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

You should include a warning on your post. Those pigs are naked....,if you know what I mean

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Just like calif NO HUNTING.

I hope they continue to over run then area as fences except chain link will do nothing to stop them.

The best way to get rid of them is to mix up and let ferment a barrel of moon shine mash.
Put it out at about 2-3 in the morning and at day break go around a collect the drunk and sleeping hogs. Hogs just love it and will eat till they pass out.

And if anyone thinks i am joking there is a many a moonshiner that has used spent mash get rid of it and collected a winters worth of hog to smoke.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Great solution California!

Hey home owners you can't relocate or hunt them, but you can drive down to Lowe's and choose from the wide selection of chemical, light and sound pollution.

Sorry but if I lived in California and was facing this problem, the only thing I'm buying is hickory chips and a case of Gates BBQ sauce.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Hawaii is loaded with them, along with plenty of hunters and BBQs.

At least most of the Hawaiians know what to do with them. I have a fond memory of seeing one running through the streets of Mililani and a bunch of kids chasing after it with sticks. The pig won the battle ... but lost the war. Nothing better than Kalua pig ... except bacon!!

I'd bet most Kalifornians hole up in their houses and call the cops. Probably won't reach a personal decision on who is wiser.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Here's a great trick. get these items and have some fun. 1) A large thermos of coffee 2) some nice ripe fruit and vegetable garbage to use as bait, I suggest adding some twinky's, who can't resist a fresh twinky! 3) enough steel hurricane fence to cover a good portion of a flat area, say like a quarter acre 4) some really good jumper cables 5) a flashlight. 6) a source of to hook the jumper cables into your houses 220v/30 amp circuit. 7) some really good thick non-conductive rubber gloves. Put the fence on the ground, bait it with the garbage, hook the fence up to the house current with the jumper cables and then use the flashlight and coffee to stay awake and make sure the fence gets a whole lotta wild pigs on it, then throw the switch and enjoy the twitch !
Of course, it's Kalifornia. The pigs will get a lawyer and put YOU in the electric chair. My second suggestion would be an assault rifle with a silencer, you know, like the ones the cops carry!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

ANNED

san jose is a densely populated city. a high powered round isn't a great idea in a neighborhood of homes and families...

i live in SJ and haven't seen any pigs (yet).

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

zooplancton

ANNED

san jose is a densely populated city. a high powered round isn't a great idea in a neighborhood of homes and families...

i live in SJ and haven't seen any pigs (yet).

No one there has heard of bow hunting.

Likely the hogs are at the edge of town in the ritzy Almaden Valley and only come in at night.
edit on 16-3-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

In my little town bow hunting is illegal,
so I have been considering an atlatl to rid the area of those pesky garden raiding deer.

Note: when using a bow on hawgs be sure they can not charge you. lol's
ie - tree blind, ect

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Feral pigs can have 2 litters per year or 3 litters in 14 months. They can have as many as 8 piglets in the litter.

That's a lot a pigs.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
best idea for use in a town or city for "hunting" wild pigs? duh a BOAR SPEAR. pretty much a spear that has a cross bar down near the head to keep the pigs from charging up the spear to get you, (yup they will charge up a spear that is sticking through them to get you). i can understand why bow hunting or a gun would be an issue, if you miss....... don't know about these feral pigs but boars are DANGEROUS. many people over the years have been killed by a charging boar especially while hunting them.

can't hunt them? just arrange spears like a fence around your property just like they used to do outside of forts to keep horses and infantry from charging. get the pigs to charge in that direction. you didn't "hunt" them, they impaled themselves.

i can't understand why idiots won't let things like this be "culled", if they are invading populated areas it is rather obvious that they are over populated and by NOT killing them you could actually cause a lot more to starve to death. not to mention pigs ARE a real danger to humans. they can be mean, they tend to out-mass people, and they eat ANYTHING. farmers have been killed by their own pigs, not to mention that some mass murders have actually fed their victims to pigs. why are some tree huger types so stupid. if anything there should be a bounty on them, although the meat it's self would be reward enough. mmmm lechong baboy (roast pig Filipino style), could have a nice block party to feast on the kill. or it could provide meat for months, bacon, ham steaks, pork roasts, bacon, pork pies, back bacon, pork stews, Christmas ham, ground pork, pork soup, ham hocks, did i say bacon. all that good food wandering around uneaten :shk:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm from Texas, we shoot these suckers for fun and we haven't ever been run out of our town by them either. Each sow can have quite a few piglets, they are an invasive species, and an unnatural one that destroys native food sources of our endangered wildlife.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

ANNED

I hope they continue to over run then area as fences except chain link will do nothing to stop them.

The best way to get rid of them is to mix up and let ferment a barrel of moon shine mash.
Put it out at about 2-3 in the morning and at day break go around a collect the drunk and sleeping hogs. Hogs just love it and will eat till they pass out.

And if anyone thinks i am joking there is a many a moonshiner that has used spent mash get rid of it and collected a winters worth of hog to smoke.

From personal experience - chain link won't stop them. The only way is to hunt or trap & kill. There are very close to rabbits in the reproduction dept.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
California just keeps getting stupider. Maybe if someone rich and powerful gets gored by a boar invading their yard, the tune will change, but until then, the little people will just have to suffer.

Remember, these are the same people who won't let you clear a sane firebreak around your yard, either.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

lostbook
Check this out, ATS

Feral Pigs are taking over in San Jose, Ca. These pigs are not to be taken lightly; some of them weigh as much as 300lbs! They attack/chase residents and so far, no one has been able to get rid of them.

gma.yahoo.com...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You see, the irony here is that California has yet another issue that no one can deal with because of their restrictive policy and police state. Enjoy the hogs, California! While your bureaucracy thinks up a PC plan over the next 5 years, the hogs will continue to breed and destroy.

Texas 1. California 0.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 16-3-2014 by Xterrain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

tencap77
Here's a great trick. get these items and have some fun. 1) A large thermos of coffee 2) some nice ripe fruit and vegetable garbage to use as bait, I suggest adding some twinky's, who can't resist a fresh twinky! 3) enough steel hurricane fence to cover a good portion of a flat area, say like a quarter acre 4) some really good jumper cables 5) a flashlight. 6) a source of to hook the jumper cables into your houses 220v/30 amp circuit. 7) some really good thick non-conductive rubber gloves. Put the fence on the ground, bait it with the garbage, hook the fence up to the house current with the jumper cables and then use the flashlight and coffee to stay awake and make sure the fence gets a whole lotta wild pigs on it, then throw the switch and enjoy the twitch !
Of course, it's Kalifornia. The pigs will get a lawyer and put YOU in the electric chair. My second suggestion would be an assault rifle with a silencer, you know, like the ones the cops carry!

you could anywhere else... but in california you'd bag a bunch of surfer dudes and some silicon valley yuppie nerds. someone might complain.
edit on 16-3-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

join