It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wireless electricity in your home may be quicker than you ever thought.. Move over Tesla

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The article by CNN has a video that explains the process. It is amazing in so many ways.. I do wonder what kind of effect the magnetic fields will have on some who are sensitive to such things.. Regardless it appears this will be a reality in a few years... Should stop electrical fires and kids with bobby pins stuck in electrical outlets...?

Wireless homes

Don't worry about getting zapped: Hall assures that the magnetic fields used to transfer energy are "perfectly safe" -- in fact, they are the same kind of fields used in Wi-Fi routers.

In the house of the future, wire-free energy transfer could be as easy as wireless internet.

If all goes to WiTricity's plans, smartphones will charge in your pocket as you wander around, televisions will flicker with no wires attached, and electric cars will refuel while sitting on the driveway.

WiTricity have already demonstrated their ability to power laptops, cell-phones, and TVs by attaching resonator coils to batteries -- and an electric car refueller is reportedly in the works.

Hall sees a bright future for the family without wires:

"We just don't think about it anymore: I'm going to drive my car home and I'm never going to have to go to the gas station and I'm never going to have to plug it in.

www.cnn.com...
edit on 15-3-2014 by 727Sky because: title

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

727Sky
The article by CNN has a video that explains the process.

Looks like they've hired some science writers from the BBC - the article is horribly wrong technically. Oh, btw, this isn't "Tesla technology", it's sort of the Star Trek mirror version of it. Tesla used electric fields.

I'm not sure what I feel about this - low intensity near field is generally pretty innocuous, but this is pretty similar to a diathermy machine, and I wouldn't want to sit in one of THOSE all day either.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

This Tesla patent is referenced in many patents from WiTricity. You know more about what to look for if there is a connection. I thought the Tesla patent was using resonant magnetic coupling.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Let's see if the scientist dies tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

DenyObfuscation
reply to post by Bedlam

This Tesla patent is referenced in many patents from WiTricity. You know more about what to look for if there is a connection. I thought the Tesla patent was using resonant magnetic coupling.

In what way do they reference it? It's likely in the prior art review section where you demonstrate that your device is NOT the same as other prior art. That's pretty much the only reason you'd remind a patent examiner that something else seems similar.

You generally wouldn't want to put a section in that says "Our stuff is just like this other patent" because then you might as well not file it.

Tesla's putative wireless power transfer system used electric fields, not magnetic ones. Thus the big sparks.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Scoot on over ...make way ! Wirelss Cancer coming through.. Pardon me

Just saying

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

Oh, probably not. WiTricity has been around long enough that we tried to get a combination patent on it years ago for it use in LVADs right after they announced the basic tech. Sadly, Dr Soljacic had already seen that one.

This was invented at MIT by Dr Marin Soljacic (there's accent marks I am not going to put in) back in 2007. And that sounds like Marine Sool ya tch itch

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
South Korea is spending 1.5 billion dollars on a new wireless standard a thousand times faster than current 4G networks lol. Then there gonna network there cities with it.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Not that I'm waiting for someone to die, but it seems to be a pattern with free energy.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

In what way do they reference it?

It doesn't say. Near the bottom there's a list of 54 patents under "Referenced by".

Can't you get a patent if you're improving something that's previously patented?

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Hmm... Hasn't there been a study into the long term effects of WiFi signals messing with people?

I am pretty sure that the signals aren't benign in the least.

Also, what happens if you are walking around with a spooled copper coil in your pocket?
Will a short occur and kill said holder or even create a fire??

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Sovaka
Hmm... Hasn't there been a study into the long term effects of WiFi signals messing with people?

I am pretty sure that the signals aren't benign in the least.
WiFi is low power, never seen any indication of any effects of this which is unambiguous. Wireless electricity is higher power, and probably more studies are needed to determine long term effects.

Also, what happens if you are walking around with a spooled copper coil in your pocket?
Will a short occur and kill said holder or even create a fire??
Depends on the frequency, size of the coil distance and other factors.

One thing I don't like about the wireless electricity tech I've seen is that it's not particularly efficient. If my computer takes 500 watts to operate (with high end graphics etc) on a wired system, wouldn't it take 1000 watts or some larger amount of power like that going to the wireless electricity transmitter to run the same computer? The 2:1 ratio is just an example, but it can vary depending on the distance from transmitter to receiver, the technology used and other factors.

The reason we don't care about the extra power used by WiFi is the power used by a wired network is tiny to begin with, so if WiFi takes this tiny amount of electricity and doubles or triples it, we'll never notice it on our electric bill. But If I go from using 500 watts to 1000 watts to power my PC, I will definitely notice that on my electric bill and will quickly plug the PC back in to lower my bill.

THAT is the problem I've seen with wireless electricity, it's not economical in many cases. But let's say at a remote construction site you're building something and need electricity...wireless electricity could be a better solution than running generators where you don't already have electricity at the site, and there are unique economics which you don't have at your house.
edit on 15-3-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

edit on 15-3-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I'm glad Tesla failed with his wireless electricity plans, Cancer rates would have shot up if he succeeded. Being exposed to that energy would result in cell mutations and tumours.

"When Tesla's experiments utilized undamped waves (no streamers emitting from the copper sphere), horses at the livery stable suddenly bolted and kicked free of their stalls. Even the insects felt the effects of the electrical barrage. Butterflies became electrified and helplessly swirled in circles -their wings spouting blue halos of "St. Elmo's Fire."

Can you imagine the damage it would cause to animals sensitive to electric and magnetic fields ie birds, sharks, turtles, fish, whales etc

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

YEAH! Because any thread that mentions Tesla, must also mention scientists being killed off. Rule #968 of the internet.

Forgetting this stuff has already been around for ages... Don't want to ruin the hyperbole or anything...

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by Bedlam

Not that I'm waiting for someone to die, but it seems to be a pattern with free energy.

And with that logic, my cellphone is a free energy receptacle. Cool. Why am I still alive?

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Wow, 2 comments! Lol.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by boncho

Wow, 2 comments! Lol.

I will pose questions instead:

Why would a scientist die because of this?
How is it "free energy"?

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Aren't we talking about electricity?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
This plus free energy = future.

Obligatory second line.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

This isn't free energy. It runs off AC, turns it into near field energy, which is as close to straight HF AC magnetic fields as you can manage.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join