It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia bill could allow guns in bars, churches and airports

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

To my knowledge, churches are traditionally not considered under laws of "public accommodation" as that would be construed as government interference with religion.

However, there are two versions of the bill ... the House version allows certain facilities to "opt out" of the law, while the Senate version requires facilities to "opt in."

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Active duty military here, 11B,19D, and 35F. I already carry in church and wherever I can, so you know where I stand on gun rights.

I finally joined just to post this reply. You guys are driving me nuts with the pros and cons of this. Some good and some not so good. Its simple. Remove the law that restricts carry at these places and leave it up to the owners of these places to decide if they will allow carry or not.

I thinik it is up to the establishment if people carry or not and then the people can choose to frequent that establishment or not.

Come back to reality here. Do property and establishment owners have no say anymore?

This country is in trouble.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Seems odd to me that so many can be for punishing people for something they have not done but might do because they just wont be able to help themselves. This happens all the time with gun laws. No, no, no...Don't carry in a bar because you might do something. It sounds a lot like the don't wear a short skirt if you don't want accosted.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumJunkie

Seems odd to me that so many can be for punishing people for something they have not done but might do because they just wont be able to help themselves.

Who is being punished?

Am I being punished because I can't take my pet dog into a restaurant?

edit on 3/19/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Gryphon66
reply to post by NavyDoc

To my knowledge, churches are traditionally not considered under laws of "public accommodation" as that would be construed as government interference with religion.

However, there are two versions of the bill ... the House version allows certain facilities to "opt out" of the law, while the Senate version requires facilities to "opt in."

Well, that's a separate problem. In my humble opinion, laws that are full of exemptions are not just laws in the first place.

I'd prefer the model where the state did not dictate whether or not you could carry in a church, but permit the church to promulgate their own policy--I respect the rights of private property owners to determine who and why they let people on their property. Those who disagree with the policy--whatever it is--are free to go elsewhere and those who agree are free to go in without governmental interference.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Common sense and statistics agree with the highest law of the land. When there are more guns in the hands of citizens, in more places, there is less crime. basically, anyone pushing for stiffer controls on guns is actually pushing for higher crime. Way to go, Georgia.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Jsut a simple FYI from Michigan:
I can legally carry in resturants/bars...but not bar/resturants where over 50% of sales is liguor by the glass...and in churches where the pastor gives permission...and in airport lobbies etc, but not in boarding areas, gates, lounges.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Guns in the hands of drunken bar patrons.If that's not a recipe for disaster I don't know what is.MAYBE as dangerous as a gun wielding cop with"Roid rage".

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
UPDATE....

The Georgia Senate passed House Bill 60 with an additional amendment by a 37-18 vote this past Tuesday night. This comprehensive pro-gun reform receives a vote of concurrence in the state House TODAY before the General Assembly adjourns.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
UPDATE...

Lawmakers in Georgia gave final passage last night to H.B. 60, the most comprehensive pro-gun reform bill in state history. The NRA-backed bill cleared both chambers with bi-partisan support. The bill passed the House by a vote of 112-58 and the Senate by a vote of 37-18.

This bill has been sent to the governor but we expect Governor Deal to sign the bill as he has always stated that he will sign any pro 2A bill that reaches his desk.

Yea it's like that

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
UPDATE....

Governor signs bill into law

Details from xuenchen below...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join