It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Paratroopers Land In Kherson, Ukraine

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It is being widely reported on Twitter that Russian paratroopers have landed in Kherson via military helicopters. Some reports suggest 40 soldiers and other reports suggest 60 plus. I'm searching Twitter right now to see if this is being picked up by the main stream media. More to follow...

Update: 1423hrs GMT: Ukraine Border Guard Service have reported this.

Update: 1426hrs GMT: The following source states at 1330hrs 40 Russian troops landed via helicopters. Source - Unian

Update: 1435hrs GMT: Following via @rtenews - Ukraine’s Defence Ministry says its military has repelled an attempt by Russian forces to enter a region adjacent to Crimea.
edit on 15-3-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Yes, I saw that too and it's been reported in the Ukranian news:
zn.ua...

Google translate:

Russian troops landed in the Kherson region 7
On the landings reported by the locals. Also, this information was confirmed by law enforcement sources Henichesk region . Why paratroopers landed and what is happening now in Shooting still unknown.
Russian troops in Ukraine
Russian troops landed in the Kherson region
Near the village of Small ( Arabatsky arrow Henichesk district, Kherson region ) at approximately 13:30 helicopters landed troops from 40 infantry Russian troops.
It is reported with reference to UNIAN locals. Also, this information was confirmed by law enforcement sources Henichesk region .
Residents of Rifle reported that in the past days, the Russian military helicopters circled the area several times around their village.
Why paratroopers landed and what is happening now in Shooting still unknown.
According to " Herson " to the landing went Ukrainian military occupation for negotiations.
Note , in the sea, a few kilometers from the Sharpshooters are gas producing platforms NAC " Chernomorneftegaz ." The Source: UNIAN

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Paratroopers....hmmm. What did the planes and uniforms look like. Can't wait to see the pics.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

ProfessorT
It is being widely reported on Twitter that Russian paratroopers have landed in Kherson via military helicopters. Some reports suggest 40 soldiers and other reports suggest 60 plus.

Kherson [Cherson] highlighted in pink in comparison to the Crimea and rest of Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

~Lucidity
Paratroopers....hmmm. What did the planes and uniforms look like. Can't wait to see the pics.

All purchased at the local Army Surplus store by local militia...

Just a guess.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Russia invading again? What the hell....

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
More sources are appearing. I have just found this on The Guardian website:

"Unian news agency that Russian helicopters landed near a gas distribution centre in Arabatskaya in the Kherson area. Russian troops set up checkpoints and stopped cars.

The agency reports that Ukrainian armoured personnel carriers, loaded with paratroopers moved to intercept the Russians. They have yet to report what happened next."

Kiev claims it repelled Russian troops in south Ukraine - live updates

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Some of my confusion and I might think the same for others is differentiating between two places .Crimea is a province of Ukraine that Russia has a legal right by way of treaty to have troops in . So in one sense they don't have to invade because they are there by way of treaty . It would be like Canada is being invaded by the USA when in fact they may be moving troops to engage in military exercises with a country they have a legal right to ...

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well I guess Pandora's little box of joy and good will has cracked open just a wee bit further.

Welcome to a brand new day, eh?

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Err... Correct me if I'm wrong here Slayer, but I was looking at your map there and considering the political maps around which show vote distribution in past elections for how heavily Russian a % of the Ukraine itself is.

but....

That pink dot of yours is on the wrong side of the River from the Russian loyalists and strong Pro-Russian sentiment, isn't it?

If I'm not mistaken by what a Ukrainian girl has been helping us understand in one of my courses? That's the Western side of the 'unofficial' split between western and eastern oriented thinking here?

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I still have these on my clipboard...

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
A further update:

"Ukraine’s military scrambled aircraft and paratroops on Saturday to repel an attempt by Russian forces to enter a long spit of land belonging to a region adjacent to Crimea, Ukraine’s defence ministry said.

“Units of Ukraine’s armed forces today...repelled an attempt by servicemen of the armed forces of the Russian Federation to enter the territory of Kherson region on Arbatskaya Strelka,” a ministry statement said. “This was repelled immediately.”

It said the Ukrainian military used aircraft, ground forces and its aeromobile battalion in the operation. The territory in question is a long spit of land running parallel to the east of Ukraine’s Crimea peninsula, now controlled by Russian forces."

Source - Reuters

Well I wonder what's going to happen now? The Ukrainian military have finally shown they have a pair and I don't think Russia will like this very much. It's going to be a tense few hours. It now looks certain the only way this conflict will end is with military force being used.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

SLAYER69

~Lucidity

Just a guess.

I bet that's where they picked up the Helicopters as well.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

SLAYER69

~Lucidity

Just a guess.

This dancing around wheter or not they are russian soldiers bs is ridicilous. As soon as we saw first pictures from crimea we knew 100% that they were enlisted russian soldiers from the gear alone. They had helmets and weapons not available outside russian military.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ukraine reporting Russia has invaded Kherson with 80 soldiers, 4 helicopters and 3 armoured personnel carriers. If this is true NATO need to act and act now before Russia starts invading 'properly'. The rest of the world must stand with the Ukrainian's.

Statement of the MFA of Ukraine with respect to assault landing of the Russian Armed Forces in the Kherson region on March 15

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I think I'm starting to lean towards Putin on this..

The Ukrainians almost have Russia surrounded...

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

They are such a struggling nation with so many things to be profoundly insecure and scared of as they gaze across their borders.

Yes indeed.. Anyone can see how Ukraine has Putin shivering in his stockings. lol.... (He doesn't play that very well, does he?)
edit on 15-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

ProfessorT
A further update:

"Ukraine’s military scrambled aircraft and paratroops on Saturday to repel an attempt by Russian forces to enter a long spit of land belonging to a region adjacent to Crimea, Ukraine’s defence ministry said.

“Units of Ukraine’s armed forces today...repelled an attempt by servicemen of the armed forces of the Russian Federation to enter the territory of Kherson region on Arbatskaya Strelka,” a ministry statement said. “This was repelled immediately.”

The Ukrainian military have finally shown they have a pair and I don't think Russia will like this very much.

Doubtful, smells of propaganda. I'm sure if this gets traction there will be a swift denial by the Russian Federation. If they were going to invade another area it wouldn't be with just 40 paratroopers. Further a serious engagement like this would be a complete declaration of war. Just more propaganda and trying to make the other side blink.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If we go by Vladimir Putin's logic he will start invading every country!

Apparently the video from YouTube (see below) was recorded in Kherson, Ukraine today when the Russian military started invading territory outside Crimea. I can only count 4-5 helicopters as the video footage is recorded at an awkward angle.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

FTR... this wouldn't be unprecdented at all. Read back how the Russian Federation basically took Prestina right out from under the United Nations and joint command, without so much as a 'by your leave' or 'Hey, we'll be dropping in to say hi'. They just showed up, marched in to confused "WTF?!" declarations and took it.

Russians tend to simply do what Russians want done. I think that'll be among the first things it'll be interesting to watch people react to. They don't spend weeks in committee before deciding to do anything.

1999: Showdown in Kosovo – Russia vs NATO, US vs Britain

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join