It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbs of Utnapisjtim: The Minerals Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Quite a lot of useful metals and minerals make their way into our bodies through the food chain, yet other elements are vital for the plants' health and growth. In this OP I will focus not so much on sources for these important elements or how to find plants which may supplement our bodies' demands for them, whether soil to plant-- or plant to man, or the obvious third link in this chain, man to soil-- I will rather try to give a brief overlook at the different elements involved. Most important are of course the ancient four cardinals; Ignis, Aer, Aqua and Terra, but since Antiquity we have split these up and categorised them further into more specific bits and parts. I do however encourage more specific knowledge to be brought into this thread, things like how cashew nuts are rich in magnesium or how drinking a mouthfull of sea water now and then yields important selenium.

Let's first take a look at soil nutrients. The primary group of Macronutrients are (in alfabetical order) nitrogen [N], phosphorus [P] and potassium [K], these nutrients must usually be added to the soil and are vital to healthy cell growth and other functions in the plants, and these minerals make the basis in most fertilisers organic or otherwise. The secondary group of Macronutrients are (in alfabetical order) calcium [Ca], magnesium [Mg], sodium aka. natrium [Na] and sulfur [S]. Normally these last ones need not be added, but keep an eye up for signs of insuficiancies.

Micronutrients [trace amounts] are: boron [B], chloride [Cl], chromium [Cr] copper [Cu], iron [Fe], manganese [Mn], molybdenum [Mo], selenium [Se] and zinc [Zn]. These are often refered to as trace elements since they are needed in only trace amounts. Through recycling grass clippings and tree leaves etc., using it as compost and fertiliser, rejuvinate the soil and bring back important nutrients to the soil, and naturally the plants growing in it.

Analysing the soil and checking the plants to look for signs of deficiancies is an art and a science in itself, and making sure there is the right balance of these nutrients in the soil can boost growth and yield significantly, as well as producing healthier, more potent herbs for us to benefit from. Try out different mixtures of fertilisers for different patches in your garden (if you are lucky to have one) or start feeding stuff to wild plants and see what happens if you add this or that.

Source: www.ncagr.gov...

Plants and other foods carry various amounts of these minerals and many of them are useful or even vital for humans. Most of us do not suffer from deficiancies, but since meat is one of our most important sources of certain minerals, vegetarians and vegans need to always keep an eye on getting enough of all the minerals our bodies need to function well. Me, myself for instance have a slight zink deficiancy, so I'm using a supplement of zink. Apart from the occational metallic taste in my mouth, I am happy to have finally found an effective cure for my persistent acne, or at least, it's way much better, with few new ones, and not the bleeding bubonic volcanoes I used to get. Also, I found boosting magnesium helped against the mild anxiety I normally had lingering underneath throughout the day.

Major minerals Recommended Daily Intake, RDI
Calcium 1000 mg
Magnesium 350 mg
Potassium 3500 mg
Sodium 2400 mg

Trace minerals
Chromium 120 μg
Copper 2 mg
Iron 15 mg
Manganese 5 mg
Molybdenum 75 μg
Selenium 35 μg
Zinc 15 mg

Source: cdn.intechopen.com...

I hope people who are reading this and know more and can add to the list or give examples of good food sources for these minerals, or provide information about health benefits and drawbacks, will share it in this thread. It's a part of my "Herbs of Utnapisjtim" series, where I try to post a new thread daily about a featured herb, often among common weeds or trees. I found that much of the threads ended up being about certain chemical compounds and minerals in the featured plants, thus I saw the use for a minerals thread.

Thanks for all your feedback and all the good ideas, noone mentioned, noone forgotten. Enjoy!
edit on 15-3-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Typos and missing sentance

edit on 15-3-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Added "The" to the title

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
This is a very complex subject. I have been studying how to unlock minerals from plants. Some are available while others are bound tightly to the plant. Depending on the enzymes we make and the ability of our body to take apart these foods properly and to neutralized any undesirable chemistry, the nutritional databases on how much an individual needs has major flaws. One shoe does not fit all. Remember, testing was not done on every race of people and people of different cultures. There is little way to know how a person can take up minerals.

I guess we need to learn this on ourselves, forming our individual cravings. I have been studying automatic. We actually crave things we need sometimes even though we do not realize we are doing it. Ever go to get a glass of milk then wind up drinking two because the first glass made you want more. Ever go back for seconds on one single item yet you usually don't even like that item? Ever find yourself staring at a certain vegetable or food at the grocery store, trying to figure if you should buy it?

I've been trying to make sense of all of this, our subconscious does not just tell us outright what it needs, it tells us in a weird way.

When the mineral balance gets off in your body things don't feel so good. Not everyone absorbs all forms of minerals so even though you think you should be doing all right, you may not be. Also, some foods block absorption of minerals. Calcium supplements block absorption of many minerals. Foods that kill stomach acid block many minerals from being taken up from food also. Some foods are high in antinutrients that bind minerals in the digestive tract and we poop them out. This is a very complicated subject, the databases on nutrition are flawed. I am waiting for Physics.org to post their lists. I hope they put some good people creating those lists.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
trace minerals are imp too

anyways when i saw this thread, thought i'd see about mystical alchemists batches of myrrh, frankincense and amethyst crystals =D

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   

gardener
trace minerals are imp too

anyways when i saw this thread, thought i'd see about mystical alchemists batches of myrrh, frankincense and amethyst crystals =D

Hehe, go go Jebus crystal!

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I have benefited greatly from several mineral supplements lately, to the extent that I can truely say life has changed to the better. Magnesium [Mg] removed the lingering nervousness that I have been bitched by all my life. I have tried several prescription drugs to tackle it, but none as effective as Mg.

Another lifechanging trace-metal I use is Zinc [Zn]. Ever since I was a kid I have been troubled with severe acne, to the point that i was constantly having several bleeding sores on my upper body the size of a hand, and I would typically change underwear several times a day since they would only last a few hours before they were soaked in blood. Also, feeling dirsty all the time, I would shower several times a day. No need to say, it was devastating to a young lad's self. These were not mere pimples, but something way more serious. Up through the years I have been treated with all kinds of prescription drugs, like Tetracyclines, vitamin-A shots and of course many different salves and tonics, but to little or no avail. Antibiotics and vitamin-A had some effect, but those bursting blisters would come back as soon as I had to quit the medication, and I still have had new volcanic bleeders erupting daily on my back. That was until I discovered Zinc. Since I started using this Zn supplement, I have been free of acne, none of those big bleeders and few if any smaller pimples. Needless to say it has changed my life for the better and perhaps even this summer I can take off my shirt without attracting those looks and wispers. If you have children or otherwise suffering from acne, make sure you try everything to help them resolve it, for what it does to a child's mind having to suffer that....

top topics

join