It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sends Police to Arrest Its Employee After She Marked on Wall Map

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

wingsfan
Enough with semantics and legality. What about your own moral compass? What kind of person was the faculty to actually call cops for this? What kind of cop even addresses this yet alone takes it this serious?

This country has managed to raise a population where everyone is their own little emperor. Everyone in this country with a job uses that power to bust the balls of the person directly below them, because they technically can. There is no saving such a people like this, for as a whole, nobody thinks it's wrong. You all let our overlords come in and repeatedly lower our standards bars all while systematically weakening our moral resolve.

America, you no longer have the right to infer what's in anybody elses best interest.

This post speaks to the point of what's wrong with this country today. Love the "own little emperor" characterization.
You see it it every walk of life. From the box store clerk to the gov employee to the neighbor that calls code enforcement cause someone is building a garage too loudly on a Saturday.
Where had decency gone to. Is it just a haters gonna hate world now. Just f someone up cause you can. It never ceases to amaze me how far out of the way people will go to bring someone down instead of helping.

VinMan

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I currently attend the University this story took place in (UVU) and I'm actually quite surprised the campus police acted the way they did. They seem to spend most of their days driving through the parking lots trying to find cars without parking passes they can issue fines to. Perhaps they get so bored that when any type of unique situation comes up they tend to over-compensate?

I absolutely refuse to believe that the UVU campus police acted this way for fear of their personal safety. Even if the individual they apprehended wasn't an unarmed female, I've never seen or even heard of anything dangerous occurring at UVU whatsoever. Everyone there appears to be very well behaved (for a college at least).

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaAgent

All my posts here will tell.. im no fan of the police. That said, based on her attitude, ive met people like her at my school and id bet she'd been making a big drama about the map and told not to change it or talked about changing it before she did. The police probably could've handled it better given the charge, but I wouldnt charge them with anything honestly. Im surprised they didnt say she was wielding a weapon considering she had that pen in her hand until the cuffs were on.

I dont think she was going to go willingly.
I mean, screw the police, but they already have so much worse going on, lets hang em for what they deserve rather than making big deals out of ambiguous incidents like this.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

So what are you going to do about it?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Here in the UK we have some very old and valuable wall maps some of which are in old schools (over 100 years old or more) I don't know how old that map was but the fact it had mistakes might indicate it was an antique, if so she deserves the treatment she got for vandalising valuable property. If it was a modern cheap map then she should take the matter further, my gut instinct is that she damaged a valuable map though.

Edit>

OK I did not read the OP fully, I thought it was a map or the world not a campus map,
edit on 17-3-2014 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

lesson learned don't correct the maps

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Because she worked for the university this was not an arrestable offense. The officers were stunningly violent handling this non-violent, non drunk female. For this university not to let the officers go is an amazingly irresponsible act on the part of the university as they are going to be on the receiving end of a lawsuit. With university's, image is everything and it's better to err on the side of improving rather than destroying their image. Were I her husband I would be looking these guys up later for a lesson on the proper use of violence

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
What I find most incredulous about this entire situation - more than it happened in the first place - is why I hear of no one picketing or protesting over this? If I were even remotely connected to this situation, whether being a student at this university or a friend of the assaulted, I would personally be marching outside in public view with a picket sign and urging others to do the same.

Of all the topics I see regarding police brutality I so rarely see anyone standing up about it, and I find that more sickening than the abuses they perpetrate upon the citizenry.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
There's an issue here that seems to be a problem.

In Utah, a peace officer cannot make a warrantless arrest for an unwitnessed class B misdemeanor. And this was one. Criminal mischief with a value less than $500 is a class B misdemeanor.

Arresting her without a warrant in this case is unlawful. They can't force her to the station under arrest for the charge, because to do so would be breaking Utah law. It is, in effect, kidnapping.

If the arrest being made was unlawful, and was in fact felonious, is it unlawful to resist it?

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Bedlam

In Utah, a peace officer cannot make a warrantless arrest for an unwitnessed class B misdemeanor. And this was one. Criminal mischief with a value less than $500 is a class B misdemeanor.

Arresting her without a warrant in this case is unlawful. They can't force her to the station under arrest for the charge, because to do so would be breaking Utah law. It is, in effect, kidnapping.

If the arrest being made was unlawful, and was in fact felonious, is it unlawful to resist it?

"Resisting Arrest" is used every time there is no real charge to be arrested for.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Bedlam

"Resisting Arrest" is used every time there is no real charge to be arrested for.
edit on 17-3-2014 by VinMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Laykilla

No it's not. Not at all.

You know, the landlord collects a deposit for a reason right? It's so if any damage is done, or anything is not as it were when you entered the agreement, he can use YOUR MONEY that he's ALREADY HOLDING to fix said issue.

So in other words, you are paying for the right to deface the walls in your landlords home, if you choose NOT to deface the walls in your landlords home, he has to return your deposit.

First, last, AND SECURITY deposit.

Morons, the whole lot of you.

Morons are those that purposefully damage other people's properties, regardless of deposits.
If the damage is bigger than your deposit, you get taken to court for vandalism, I've seen it happen in the UK.

But, going back to the OP, the map was not the lady's property and she should have just stuck a poster or note on it, not write on it with a permanent marker (and once again: I am not defending her managers or the campus police).

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Watching this, I am infuriated, and also very deeply concerned over the appalling lack of freedom and REAL law in this country.

"It's all on video.", states the THUG in a police uniform. That's right, buddy, it is, including all the multiple rights violations you committed!

1. At best, this was a very minor "crime"; correcting something that needed replaced anyway, and that was already partially corrected. This isn't a case of vandalism, but a case of someone trying to correct a directional map that the school didn't bother to proof before posting it, so students didn't get lost. In fact, the school should not have to pay ANYTHING to have this corrected, unless they submitted it incorrectly for printing in the first place. If this was a printer error, a correction would be at no cost. If not, the school messed up, and had to correct it whether anyone wrote on it or not. Sure, this woman could have reported it, but I am betting it already WAS reported, and nothing was done. This "crime" didn't hurt anyone, and was helpful to students. Even sending the police after this woman is beyond ridiculous. Now, instead of simply writing a citation (gee, they can't afford ticket books OR correctly printed signs?!?!?), they tell her she has to go to the police station to receive one? Imagine if traffic cops worked that way! Plus, isn't there some limit as to what sort of offense even warrants an arrest? There ought to be!

2. The cop was throwing his weight around. Apparently, he has to bully women much smaller than him in size to feel "like a man". Here's a hint to the cop - you failed! I hope every single woman that knows you tells you what a complete jerk (though I prefer the term this woman used) you are. That cop disgraced his uniform, and any officer that sides with him is equally disgraceful. This is a very clear excessive use of force issue. There as no need for her to go to a station, and her asking for a moment wasn't cause to knock her around and force her arms around a backpack to place the cuffs on her. She was no threat to anyone.

3. Who the heck does this cop think he is, to try and tell her what words she is and isn't allowed to use??? Freedom of speech violation, anyone? Plus, after telling her she couldn't say certain things, he was goading her, and rubbing it in her face, that he could do what he did.

4. NO ONE read this woman her rights. Not once, in the whole video, that I could hear. If there is any justice, she will end up owning half the university and their "police" (more like uniformed thugs and bullies!).

I sincerely hope that all students there withdraw if this thug isn't severely punished for his multiple abuses and rights violations.

Edited to add - one other rights violation - refusing to allow her to know who accused her of a crime!
edit on 19-3-2014 by LadyGreenEyes because: added point I forgot

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join