It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pygmy Tyrannosaurus Rex Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Pygmy Tyrannosaurus Rex Discovered

A new smaller breed of the world's best known dinosaur is thought to have once roamed the Arctic.

Dating back 70 million years, this new pygmy tyrannosaur is smaller but otherwise extremely similar to its larger sub-tropic counterpart. Palaeontologists had initially believed that a specimen unearthed in 2006 was simply a juvenile until further research later revealed that it was in fact a fully matured adult of a different species.

While the regular Tyrannosaurus rex can grow up to 40ft in length and weigh 4 tons, this new smaller species, known as Nanuqsaurus hoglundi, measures only 25ft and weighs 1,000lbs.

"The 'pygmy tyrannosaur' alone is really cool because it tells us something about what the environment was like in the ancient Arctic," said study co-author Anthony Fiorillo.

"But what makes this discovery even more exciting is that Nanuqsaurus hoglundi also tells us about the biological richness of the ancient polar world during a time when the Earth was very warm compared to today."

Source: www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

Just some interesting news I found while searching the web. I wonder if they hunted their prey the same way. I wish they could show us a picture of how these, smaller T-Rex dinosaurs looked like.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Hm... still not quite small enough to be kept as a pet.

Keep digging!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Answer

Haha, yes,you are right. When I first read 'pygmy' I thought, awww how cute it must have looked, but then I read it was 25 foot long....not pet material indeed.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Chihuahua rex!

talk about an ankle biter!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
They finally found the ancestor of the house cat! Whoooo hoooo!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
They probably still have the same length arms because....come on...t rex had some tiny little arms how could they be any smaller...just think guys...if you didnt have arms....how angry you would become...

there is innuendo there if you look hard enough.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I read about this. Some of the cutest/coolest dinosaur news I'v heard about in a while.
I would love to ride around on one's back. lol.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
hey, the pet sized version are called piggy toronto sore assed wrecks
generally they are found hanging out in bars downtown...
in toronto...
which is roughly half way between the equator and the north pole

edit on Monam4b20144America/Chicago58 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join