It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Want To Bragg! Waiting For The Great Leap Forward!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Hello

I am continuing to post in the rant forum in the same positive vein that my last thread was posted in.

My intent is to inspire via teaching not condemn (except subtly and with whit)!

After a long week at hard work I had time to finally relax and listen to some working class people inspired music by Billy Bragg ...

Waiting For The Great Leap Forward!

NOW before I link the video below I must WARN everybody that he ad-libs and updates his own version of the song in this following video clip and WE will be comparing the difference between his original song, whose lyrics I will quote below, and what he sings in the video.

This is because I want members who can dissect and analyze extremely deep philosophical stuff about global politics and the current socioeconomic order ruled over by TPTB.

It also filters out those who can not watch the video ... sorry and tough titties for you lot!
[see I can be mean
]

Behold and enjoy and try to learn something ok ...

Original Lyrics: source

It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's disappointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her but thinks that he should warn her
That the Third World is just around the corner
In the Soviet Union a scientist is blinded
By the resumption of nuclear testing and he is reminded
That Dr Robert Oppenheimer's optimism fell
At the first hurdle
In the Cheese Pavilion and the only noise I hear
Is the sound of people stacking chairs
And mopping up spilt beer
And someone asking questions and basking in the light
Of the fifteen fame filled minutes of the fanzine writer
Mixing Pop and Politics he asks me what the use is
I offer him embarrassment and my usual excuses
While looking down the corridor
Out to where the van is waiting
I'm looking for the Great Leap Forwards
Jumble sales are organized and pamphlets have been posted
Even after closing time there's still parties to be hosted
You can be active with the activists
Or sleep in with the sleepers
While you're waiting for the Great Leap Forwards
One leap forwards, two leaps back
Will politics get me the sack?
Here comes the future and you can't run from it
If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it
It's a mighty long way down rock 'n roll
From Top of the Pops to drawing the dole
If no one seems to understands
Start your own revolution, cut out the middleman
In a perfect world we'd all sing in tune
But this is reality so give me some room
So join the struggle while you may
The Revolution is just a t-shirt away

Did you spot the differences?

If yes, what were they?

How did these differences make you feel [insert YOUR OUTRAGE here ok ... it IS the Rant forum after all] in light of the current global political and socioeconomic climate of the Ukraine situation, warmed up cold war between east and west, modern MSM mind control manipulation methods, grassroots means and desires of the working class and or any other subject you note and feel that either new or old versions of the song relate to?

Can you see any solutions to any of the problems that either versions lyrics of the song highlights?

Did you learn anything?

I have not fully answered these questions myself and I am hoping to come along for the ride and learn as well!

Please teach me!

As above, So below!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ZonedOut

You're doing good, ZonedOut!!

That ... is all I need to say.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ZonedOut

I was brought up on large doses of Billy Bragg...and despite the great many criticisms often thrown his way, his songs remind me of a childhood growing up in a working class family and being encouraged to always stand up for what I believed in.

I have heard quite a few different versions by Billy Bragg of his original song over the years. I think the last one I heard was the 2012 version...I would be interested to know if there is an even more recent version, I may have to go investigate.

Anyway...the 2012 version to throw into the mix, hope you don't mind?

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

Thank you!

I deeply appreciate the support!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

The more the merrier!

Now since I have not heard the version you linked until I watched it, I at a glance noticed the following ad-libs ...

Uranium mining.

Occupy and the twilight of the capitalist era.

And although there were many more that I missed the 1st time listening through those two stood out to me!

1stly How I feel about uranium mining is that it is a horrendous ethical farce and that thorium mining and power plants would be a far safer and smarter route to take.

2ndly How I feel about Occupy was that it was a great idea childishly carried out and eventually hijacked by outside forces for nefarious reasons and ultimately showed us all that we are indeed slaves to this system. Rock the boat at your own peril ok.

3rdly And finally how I feel about the twilight of the capitalist era is that its not really dying ... its hiding like a monster somewhere ... probably in the vaults of the local bank!

As for solutions ...

A] On uranium mining issue I have already pointed out that thorium is a far safer and more smart way of doing things without throwing nuclear power baby out with the radioactive waste bath water.

B] The only current solution I see to occupy is to regroup and rebrand! This is quite distasteful but is the consequence of failure.

C] The solution to capitalist pig run banks is locally run and owned credit unions! Also join your local council and gain control over the cost of annual land rates [the tax that taxes one to death and makes one a slave].

What have I learned? ...

*] That there are solutions to the nuclear weapons and waste issues and that route follows thorium.

**] That good ideas poorly performed result in pain and suffering and the idea itself becomes tarnished. Bandaids and a new lick of paint should soon fix that.

***] That being self sufficient includes having money saved in the bank to help keep interest rates low and also owning stock in the same bank so as one can have a say in exactly how high or low those interest rates should be and having a VOTE in all situations that one can legally manufacture for oneself withing the legal framework of the system.

Thank you for teaching me!

new topics

top topics

join