It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biotech to extend convicts' lives 'indefinitely' 1000 years in prison?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Wow, some of you who claim to be 'enlightened' really shock me. 'Yeah, lets torture someone for 1,000 years!"
Wow, holy crap. I dont get it.
You'd sink to the levels of barbarism to 'get someone back'
Mankind has really decided to sink to all new low levels.
You all make me sick

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

We all need to remember why it is a right to be free from punishment that is cruel or unusual! This is inhumane!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Well the prison corporations will love this!
Money money money!!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I'm not going to hold it against you that you believe that sociopaths can't be rehabilitated. The reality is that new therapies are proving that thought process wrong, but the therapies aren't wide-spread and still in "experimental" stages.

www.bmedreport.com...

12 of 13 sociopaths in that study had 50% or better improvements in psychopathic deviancy scores after 3 months of therapy.

Looks like there's an option D for sociopaths. I can't say the same about pedophiles as to the best of my knowledge there's never been a study on that group with neurofeedback.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Seems cheaper to just toss the pedos into the meat grinder...

Although if we could achieve never death, an eternity of hell, might be acceptable.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It's one thing to create life extension procedures and keep a person in prison for a long, long time if they received a harsh penalty. Also really expensive for the taxpayers.

It's an entirely different thing to create a drug that causes time dilation so that 8 hours becomes a subjective thousand years. Even people who get a month in jail can subjectively be made to serve 30,000 years in prison. Seeing what's happening in US prisons lately I have no doubt those in authority would use these drugs on some inmates.

Seems like torture and a totally bad idea to me.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I totally agree that it's a terrible idea to utilize drugs to keep people in a stasis to enhance their punishment. While some in this thread think that putting someone into a trance that feels like it lasts 1,000 years over an 8 hour period, and are heralding this method as a way to save money, they're also forgetting about the affects of that kind of mental confinement.

It's like a previous poster said - they'll have to give the inmates an anti-insanity drug when they're released.

People - especially inmates - need a sense of belonging to a group in order for their brains to function in a healthy way. Putting someone into a state where they're alone for 1,000 years will just release people with worse mental conditions then they had before going in.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Sounds like something directly out of the Takeshi Kovacs chronicles (en.wikipedia.org...). It's a sci fi novel where technology has reached the point where physical bodies are "worn" as a fashion accessory, virtual reality is indistinguishable from real life and people can be downloaded and put in "storage" for as long as they wish.

The darker part of the story is that criminal organisations use virtual reality to 'download' their victim into a body, torture the victim in horrendous ways and if the victim 'dies' before you get a chance to extract the information you need, you just 'reset' the body and start again. You can make 1 minute feel like 1 second, or 1000 years. The victim basically has the choice of an eternity of pain and suffering until they eventually go insane, or giving up their secrets.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Only in America.
You let ordinary people die because they're too poor to pay for treatment, yet spend who knows how much to keep a criminal alive so they can be punished more.

Truly nuts.

What confuses me more is that it's a "broadly" Christian country, this seems totally at odds with what I understand to be the way Jesus tried to show people how to live.

I just don't get it.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   

SprocketUK
Only in America.
You let ordinary people die because they're too poor to pay for treatment, yet spend who knows how much to keep a criminal alive so they can be punished more.

Truly nuts.

What confuses me more is that it's a "broadly" Christian country, this seems totally at odds with what I understand to be the way Jesus tried to show people how to live.

I just don't get it.

Actually Dr Roache and team are working out of Oxford University, SENS Research Foundation is based in the US and they work with a variety of universities globally. This mess gets to be spread around.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I stand corrected.
being a psychopath is obviously not limited to one nation.

I really struggle to believe that anyone would even consider this, it's utterly nuts and rather evil.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join