It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion does terrible things to good people

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

I'm going to tell you a story that may or may not flabbergast you.

I think that I must be missing something in your OP.

You've described someone who is clearly living beyond their means, with a huge house (which needs to be bigger,) three cars (not enough,) and all the trappings of the consumer culture. And yet you're attributing their financial problems to their charitable donations, and blaming it on religion?

Like I said, I must be missing something, because it seems like their overspending on worldly goods is the main contributor to their financial woes -- I know people who earn a third of what they do, give a good portion of their income to charity, but have no financial problems, because they choose to live simply and humbly in order to share with others. Last year, I gave almost 25% of my income away, and one of the main reasons for that is that I have only one debt, my mortgage, so I can afford to be charitable. That means that I drive a car that is nine years old, that I don't go out very often, and I don't have 36 55" 3D LED tvs around the house, but that's fine with me.

I guess that, if your point is that American consumerism is a religion, and these people have fallen for it, hook, line and sinker, I'd agree, but I kind of doubt that's your agenda.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Sounds like you belong to a nifty lil sewing circle. I mean with the,
" and then I found out their family income" and the, " He was a
Seventh Day Adventist" DUN DUN DUN!
Gossip and drama much.

Firstly, how can the higher echelons in the church justify taking the earnings from a hard working man to fill their own coffers?

Secondly, how can church officials connive to take the hard earned money from a hard working man and assure them that God will take care of the rest? If god is love, then why do people have to pay for that love???
And finally, how do they get away with it year after year???

Firstly, they can't. What's important for you to remember is not to confuse God with man made religion.

Secondly, because they are human and frankly to question Gods love by their actions?
What are you doing?

Finally
Because that's the way of the world we have built. NOT GOD.

But no worries, the clarity of what has been going on here in
this world, only rests in me thru the one that is called IAM.

Pray for understanding because you don't.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

That is the church, not religion - the roots of the religion is not the church, it was a movement sprung from an influential person in every case. So clearly in understanding of human history that the church equals world, and it happens to be the same world who killed Jesus, just 2,000 years later.

But, some religions literally play with the minds of the world, it will trick them, they will start to serve a worldly idea of church and religion because they truly don't know the spirit. In order to know the spirit one must be dedicated and study the spirit, attempt to get to know the spirit, not just pray.

Mormons are probably the worst and the most confused. Because the say to follow Jesus, Moses, and the kings of Isreal but they dedicate themselves to a stand out homosexual more than the bible. Any act of faith to this person is going to be rejected by the Lord. It is like an idol.

Next is the Amish, they always speak the name of the Lord yet walk around in black and act out of darkness. The Lord judges actions, every single minute decision that we make every minute.

In conclusion the religions technically lead the person on the right path which is the path to the Lord, but they are hindered in understanding and taking the step further because of 'blindness.'

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join