It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dimer Technique Is Usable by James Webb Space Telescope for Red Dwarf Orbiting Planets Within 16.3 L

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
JWST may be able to detect life on planets around red dwarfs within 16.3 light years
there are probably about 60 to 70 red dwarfs in that range as there are 86 within 20 LY.

EDIT: i just counted. there are exactly 60 known red dwarf stars within that range. 60 chances!

i counted the ones catelogued on this website: www.solstation.com...

www.technovelgy.com...

Furthermore, unlike observations of Rayleigh scattering, this method can be used at wavelengths longer than 0.6 μm and is therefore potentially applicable, although challenging, to near-term planet characterization missions such as JWST. We also performed detectability studies for JWST transit transmission spectroscopy and found that the 1.06 and 1.27 μm dimer features could be detectable (SNR>3) for an Earth analogue orbiting an M5V star at a distance of 5 pc.

The detection of these features could provide a constraint on the atmospheric pressure of an exoplanet and serve as biosignatures for oxygenic photosynthesis.

edit on 14-3-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: typo patrol

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by stormbringer1701

Well I certainly hope they can stretch that range a lil bit, say out to 20.5L so that they can get some answers from gliese 581 which is supposed to be able to sustain life.

Earthlike planet

The New Earth

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   

HiMyNameIsCal

Well I certainly hope they can stretch that range a lil bit, say out to 20.5L so that they can get some answers from gliese 581 which is supposed to be able to sustain life.

Earthlike planet

The New Earth

sometimes these scope out perform their design specs right out the gate. and some times they receive software upgrades that expand their capabilities.

i wouldn't worry too much about whether the range gets extended or not. right now though they calculate that it will be difficult task for that range because the signal to noise is a bit high. not too bad. but enough to challenge them.

60 stars though. who can complain? especially since statistically each dwarf should have at least one planet.
edit on 14-3-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: typo

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

No complaints here that's some exciting stuff. Makes me want another scope, so I can at least pretend to help

new topics

top topics

join