It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four new Ozone killing gases detected: Scientists look for source

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
According to the article, Scientists have found 4 new gases that damage the Ozone layer. Scientists are trying to figure out if any of the gases are banned in the Montreal Protocol- en.wikipedia.org... The Montreal Protocol is a treaty which seeks to phase out substances believed to be responsible for Ozone depletion. Scientists are trying to solve this mystery sooner rather than later.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I call BS on this. O3 is made naturally by UV interaction of O2 molecules in the troposphere. I don't believe heavier than air molecules will reach the high altitudes where our ozone layer resides. Besides, O3 has a half-life of 15 to 45 minutes and is recombined when the sun's natural UV interacts with the O or O2 up there.

Wiki Info: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
what?
the patents run out like freon did?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
They should start with "chem trails"

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Yep DuPont needs more money. hmm this comes out when Kerry says we need to do more about global warming, oops I mean climate change.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

slednecktx
reply to post by Danbones

Yep DuPont needs more money. hmm this comes out when Kerry says we need to do more about global warming, oops I mean climate change.

when ever our Mr kerry stops talking the temperature drops....

say dupont makes cartridge propellants too don't they
ww3 here we come

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

NightFlight
I call BS on this. O3 is made naturally by UV interaction of O2 molecules in the troposphere. I don't believe heavier than air molecules will reach the high altitudes where our ozone layer resides. Besides, O3 has a half-life of 15 to 45 minutes and is recombined when the sun's natural UV interacts with the O or O2 up there.

100% correct! The claim however is somehow these gasses make it to the troposphere via convection. I never bought into that idea myself.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

NightFlight

CFCs and other ozone depleting substances ( ODS) are heavier than air. In a still room, they will pool on the floor. However, the atmosphere is anything but still. Numerous measurements have confirmed that these molecules are mixed nearly uniformly worldwide. In the same way that vinegar and oil normally separate when still, but mix when shaken, ozone depleting substances and air are thoroughly stirred together by winds in the troposphere.

Winds are also why the location of CFC and other ODS emissions is essentially irrelevant. CFCs released from a car in the U.S. are as likely to find their way to the stratosphere over India as are molecules released from much closer countries like China. Once they mix through the troposphere, CFC molecules eventually move into the stratosphere. Thousands of measurements over several decades have firmly proven the existence of these heavier-than-air molecules in the ozone layer.

www.epa.gov...

www.wmo.int...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

I never bought into that idea myself.

It's not a hard concept. Find yourself a lava lamp, notice the three layers? Now mix it around... What happens? Oh, and since the atmosphere doesn't stop mixing, you can't stop. Not even if your arm gets tired.

There's a reason they tell you "Don't shake the lava lamp."

There is this nifty way of fixing them though, maybe we can do that to the Earth...
edit on 14-3-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join