It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25 Maps To Help You Understand Your World

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I love statistical-big-picture maps where you can intuitively pick up loads and loads of knowledge. Thanks. And keep the maps coming ATSers!

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

in the OP...i did not see any attribution given to the person(s) who created a menu of interesting maps

i used the 'rivers' map & the Mississippi tributaries Maps in my post back on 26 February,,,

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:19
l
here are two Maps (of the 40 Maps on the page) which might have a bearing on sinkhole creation

i think i read there are some 42,000 rivers/streams/creeks that are consequential here in the USA alone

asheepnomore.net...

Map 26. The 7000 Rivers that Feed into the Mississippi River
Map 16. Map of Rivers in the Contiguous United States

[........]

the dated link address in the above post:

asheepnomore.net...

i am not sure that 'a sheep no more . net' actually created the maps or the web page author actually borrowed the compiled maps from another originator source...
just thought this needed amplification as many responders seemed to think that the thread maps were created for the ATS, 13 March Thread Starter

edit on th31139480118014462014 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Grimpachi
21. This map shows (in navy blue) every country that has ever operated an aircraft carrier.

The description of this map is incorrect. The countries in blue, both shades, have operated aircraft carriers. Those in navy blue currently operate aircraft carriers capable of handling fixed wing aircraft.
For example, Canada operated a total of 3 carriers after WW II. The last was the HMCS Bonaventure, decommissioned and broken up in 1971.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
What a great OP. S and F. Those maps are great.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
#17... Football Coach, Football Coach, Football Coach, Football Coach, etc. I wonder where America's priorities lie? I like football as much as the next guy, but DAMN.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

cool thread. thank you for sharing.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
#17... Football Coach, Football Coach, Football Coach, Football Coach, etc. I wonder where America's priorities lie? I like football as much as the next guy, but DAMN.

I think you answered your own question.

I was also amazed at how many states have Football Coach as the highest paid public position. Must make the respective governors of those states feel pretty worthless...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

Sort of true, but sort of not true though. Most if not all are paid with money coming from an 'athletic association' i.e. privately raised money.
edit on 14-3-2014 by 11andrew34 because: clarification

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 11andrew34

The fact that a sports coach is worth more on a college campus than an educator or a dean speaks volumes about America's priorities, I don't care where the money comes from. Why aren't these people donating to various schools within the college to help further the students' education? At the very least, what about donating to the school that you majored in?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by erwalker

But that's what is says? Countries that have EVER operated them, not NEVER.
Read it again.

edit on 14/3/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Sounds like a fun project. I shot you a PM I think where we can work it out.

This thread sort of took off so a new one would be better than adding to this. Threads are funny that way.

Anyway good idea.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah I should have been more specific. The dark blue ones currently have carriers the navy blue once had them. However i think Japan does have one now.(not sure)
edit on 14-3-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
The fact that a sports coach is worth more on a college campus than an educator or a dean speaks volumes about America's priorities, I don't care where the money comes from. Why aren't these people donating to various schools within the college to help further the students' education? At the very least, what about donating to the school that you majored in?

Well maybe someone out there actually would like to debate you on that. But if you look again you may notice I did start by acknowledging that the map in question is still sort of true; I just figured people wouldn't have any trouble comprehending that part, especially around here.

But honestly, I'm not even sure if by legal status they actually even ARE public employees. I would guess that the athletic associations are private non-profits and the football coaches are employed by them and thus private sector employees.

And as for others at the University perhaps not being paid enough, I think, given your point about priorities, it's worth mentioning that the obscenely high cost of higher education now even at public colleges and universities was driven mostly by the rapid rise in the salaries of deans, professors, and administrators over the past ~30 years.
edit on 14-3-2014 by 11andrew34 because: typo

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 11andrew34

Everything, all true. So much wrong with our education system, you cannot peg it all on one thing.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Grimpachi

13. This map shows (in green) all the landlocked countries of the world.

14. And this is what the world would look like if all the countries with coast lines sank.

These 2 are basically the opposites of eachother!

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

7. This map shows countries (in white) that England has never invaded. There are only 22 of them.

Dang England!

Neat thread.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Is it just me or is map four inverted on one side as opposed to being rotated.
This makes the statement about a little misleading, if not wrong, doesn't it?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by teamcommander

I know it seems wrong, but that is how it is. This map may help.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

kosmicjack

7. This map shows countries (in white) that England has never invaded. There are only 22 of them.

Dang England!

Neat thread.

It makes one wonder when we had to time to build up our own country, when we where spending so much time abroad.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by teamcommander

I know it seems wrong, but that is how it is. This map may help.

While I do appreciate the attemt.
I think I am more confussed now than ever.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join