It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Political Correctness - A ban on the word ''Bossy'' Ridicules!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Apparently Victoria Beckham,Beyonce and others are calling for the word ''Bossy'' to be banned claiming it is damaging to young girls.

Bossy campaign

This kind of thing has grated me for a while now listening to all these different people moan about this 'word' or that 'word' being 'offensive' and yes while i agree it is not very nice to be verbally abused (with real offensive language) but to pick on a word like 'Bossy' is certainly not on the top of the offensive list by a long shot.
the other point here is, if i call a person bossy it is not because i am trying to offend or make them feel bad, i am perceiving that person as being unreasonably 'Bossy' and letting them know,Someone who is bossy in my opinion is expressing themselves perfectly well and has not got a problem with confidence in fact bossy people are normally the exact opposite and have to much. Bossy is a behaviour, a description of a persons attitude and should most definitely not be banned.
and the celebs backing this thing are prime examples of bossy little madams with to much money and nothing better to do than mess up the English language.
simple solution : You don't want to be called bossy ?
answer : Don't be so bossy !

Next up they will be telling us we cant call a 'Drunk' person 'Drunk' because it might be offensive. this kinda rubbish needs to stop and i for one will be using the word 'Bossy' whether it gets banned or not !
Rant over and Out!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JokerThe1st

Where I'm from...

Bossy would be a huge improvement.

Banning words is dumb.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'm all for it...if I'm allowed to replace it with bitchy. I want to retire the word "terrorist" Ive heard it about 22 kazillion times since 9-11-01. And I'm damn sick of it, along with "terrorism" .... "mega" anything. And "breaking news" what a hoot that last one is.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Yes again, this was one of those things I saw on youtube and thought hahahh this is going to be a good satire... No? I was wrong, they were dead serious. I was laughing so hard. What I learned as a female was, people will say whatever name they want to call you. Know who you are, what you are, and what you stand for. And own it. If your bossy, your bossy, love it or leave it sister!

Cant we just drop all of this.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Isn't it a bit bossy to try and stop people saying bossy.
To them that what to ban bossy, stop being so bossy

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Lucky then that I couldn't give a fat rats bum what those useless feeders say - care even less for their "musical" and other abilities.

Not that I use that word anyway - I could give you a much better one but if "bossy" upsets them, then they would have a meltdown at my word.

"Go away Hollyweird - you're drunk"

edit on 13-3-2014 by Sublimecraft because: grammar

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

openyourmind1262
I'm all for it...if I'm allowed to replace it with bitchy. I want to retire the word "terrorist" Ive heard it about 22 kazillion times since 9-11-01. And I'm damn sick of it, along with "terrorism" .... "mega" anything. And "breaking news" what a hoot that last one is.

But...but...but....I'm bossy and bitchy...dammit.

Call me a waaaaaaambulance, will ya...

Des

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I would like to ban most hollywood actors from using the words hard work together in any sentence or order.

If they really think hanging in their trailer and saying 5 lines 20 times over 12 hours to get it just right right is hard work, I dare them to step foot in a coal mine, weld a pipe underwater, or 100 feet in the air, or flip a burger for min. wage.

How many times a year do they come out and celebrate themselves? Many want to ban guns but make millions portraying themselves as gun shooting bad ass in movies.

If they banned skimpy outfits Beyonce would be washed up.

But they did ban the term brown bag lunch so you never know....that bossy b@#$ch probably get what she wants

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Yup , she is being a bossy bitchy for even trying to ban a word she doesn't like . A word is a word .

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me .

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Some celebrities have way too much time on their hands!

Even more think they have a god given right to enforce their own innate personal agenda on the world around them.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I'm all for knocking out some of the BS women have to go through, but this campaign is doing more harm than good. Seriously? Bossy? We all know you mean bitchy. Trying to get it popular with a buzzword is ridiculous. I don't recall ever hearing a female superior referred to as bossy. Bossy is a compliment or a way to say someone is a little overbearing in an endearing way. Well yeah, she's a little bossy.

Feminist movement has begun to crawl up it's own behind and alienate people like me that love women and think they are completely equal. Shoot I would call myself a feminist, or back in the day I would have. I think women are just as capable as men for every job (the only caveat being strength but that's easily tested - think firefighter, cop, infantry, etc where I don't think all men should qualify), just as smart, just as good at math, science, writing or what have you. That used to mean I was a feminist, that I believe there is equality between the sexes.

Now I'm apparently a horrible person according to the Tumblr feminist crowd because I'm white, male, straight, young, healthy, not disabled and don't think that I'm actually a woman in a man's body. Read some of the nonsense. Google SJW (social justice warrior). They are INSANE. You're opinion doesn't matter and you're part of the problem if you have any privilege points (I have ALL of the privilege points). The only people they want to hear from are transgendered, people of color (or PoC), gay (and they are starting to dislike gay people, especially gay men), old, fat, or disabled.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   

What about the damage the term 'bossy' does to young boys? I bet they didn't think of that.

I detest these celebrities who think their exposure automatically grants them wisdom and influence. Bill Gates has donated more than 20 billion dollars to charity but we don't hear a peep from him, maybe that's because he's not using charity to shamelessly promote himself.

Take Sean Penn for example, he can bang on about gay rights and orphans and stuff, but it doesn't change the fact he tied Madonna up and beat her mercilessly for hours.

edit on 14-3-2014 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Back in the 1950's when my mom was in 4th grade, she won the school spelling bee. She ran home to tell her mother with pride. Her mother's response? "Boys don't like girls who are smarter then they are." Guess what happened the next year. My mom intentionally bailed out of the spelling bee early.

For a long long time, girls/women have been discouraged from being smart or being leaders. It has gotten MUCH better compared to when my mom was young, but I guess it must still be happening. This simply is a public awareness campaign aimed at helping female egos when they are at their frailest point: adolescence. I think they could have done a better job of it - I know just using the word "ban" gets all you libertarians' panties in a wad.
They could have gone a more positive route with something like "being smart is cool; being a leader rules".

You do know, of course, that they aren't literally trying to ban a word, right? They aren't trying to get a law passed that puts people in jail for saying "bossy". It's called Raising Awareness, people.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Des, I live in the South here's how we look at this. I feel this applies to you 100%. How we define bitch is as follows...............

(B)eauty (I)n (T)otal (C)ontrol of (H)erself. alternate definition........Beautiful, Intelligent, Talented, Charming, Honest.
Or just look up Hillary Clinton.
edit on 14-3-2014 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Isn't it kind of bossy.

To demand everybody to stop using the word bossy?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
To me banning words is about as stupid as burning books… and just about as productive too. I am of the belief that the 1st amendment should allow one to say absolutely anything they'd like in public regardless of how offensive or against public opinion it is. That WAS what made America so special…I don't really know many other countries that can say the same.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

RickyD
To me banning words is about as stupid as burning books… and just about as productive too. I am of the belief that the 1st amendment should allow one to say absolutely anything they'd like in public regardless of how offensive or against public opinion it is. That WAS what made America so special…I don't really know many other countries that can say the same.

Just curious - do you think it's fine for someone to say things over and over to a child that make them feel worthless or stupid?

I guess I will have to repeat myself on this thread. No one is trying to ban any words. It's a catch phrase - trying to be clever with the two "b's" (Ban Bossy). The public awareness campaign is actually about not discouraging young girls who are natural leaders, by making them feel they don't deserve to be. Lots of different words and phrases do that, including "you're not good enough to lead" or "you're not smart enough to lead", or "nobody likes a girl who is a leader". Words other than just the word "bossy". It's about a concept, not just a word. (sheesh, I can't believe I have to explain this)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Of coarse there is always someone who points out something that would be obviously wrong and children deserve more protection than adults but at what point do you draw the line? I mean if we went by what you said what qualifies as abusive or mean or whatever? See my point...its a slippery slope I'd rather not go down.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
More nonsense from useless pieces of pop culture trash. Oh wait, they might campaign to ban the word "trash" next.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Yeah, because they are good examples of behavior. And if they do anything inappropriate for healthy standards, they are "divas", so they are allowed. Gee.

This is wrong in so many ways. If people stop caring so much for celebrities, feeding theirs and surrounding narcissism and developing critical thinking, we would be much better nowadays. We're feeding our destruction cycle and being fed by poor education and trashy media.

It is sad to know that so many people, as a member above mentioned, who are REALLY hard-working, responsible and mentally healthy are seen as losers, while some of the real losers are treated like queens and kings. This is so wrong. No, I'm not a celebrity-hater, but things have been out of control during the last years.

We're lucky to have ATS!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join