It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians, i have questions for you!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
So a good friend of mine is a christian. Now let me clarify before i ask questions here that i have nothing against your religion or philosophy, in fact i agree with a lot of it. I do disagree with the medium but lets not make that what this thread is about.

So here is what i am to find out. Lets look at the philosophy of changing yourself to change your world and compare them to ideas of faith and allowing god to work in your life.

At what point does you changing your environment become a step away from allowing god to work in your life?

Do you get what im asking or do we need further clarification?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Many Christians changed their entire religion to fit what God wanted ... or 'thought' what was best for Gods work.
I feel there is a fine line between what God really wants, and what we want God to do for us. The whole concept confuses me with all these different denominations and religions under ONE supposed all mighty deity.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Jesus taught something called "The Narrow Path" and he said it was to "Do to others as you would want them to do to you for this is The Law and The Prophets" and unfortunately many people will not choose "this" path but the "wide" path that leads to destruction.

So that line is crossed when you lack compassion for others and hurt others.

That is how you know when God is using The Holy Spirit through you, when you act through Compassion to help others (treating them as you'd like for others to treat you)

Besides that, you will have what so ever you ask for and believe:

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Personally, I don't like to focus on what I 'want' too much because then I begin to feel the lack. So I just understand that life is Change and that whatever I need will come and whatever I don't truly need will go.

There is a time for everything (Ecclesiastes 3), a time to laugh and a time to cry, a time to plant seeds and a time to harvest their fruits.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I'm not a Christian (nor do I practice any other religion) and your question could use a bit more clarification, but all I want to say is that with basically all of the major religions of the world, you could replace the name "God" with the word "love" and the fundamental purpose and origin of most of these religions would be revealed. God has been molded over time to suit the agenda of the crooked men at the top of religions; it's become big business for those people (but not everybody, of course). Living by commandments without sin is hard if you look at it like there is a bearded white man living above us, judging our every move... but it becomes more simple when you recognize that being "holy" is living a life of love, and loving thy neighbor
Just my two cents.
edit on 2014-03-13T19:42:23-05:002014230342kThuAmerica/ChicagobThu, 13 Mar 2014 19:42:23 -0500 by cosmikDebris because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I am not really sure as to what you mean . Your qualifier sentence didn't add anything to your post and may have taken away some of the clarity you may have wanted to express . Ok so the way I understand my Christian faith is that it's God that is going to change me and He will never leave me . He is able to use both good and bad to bring about His will . I may be able to slow the process , I think the term ,quenching the Sprint might apply in this place because when we yield to Him we find ourselves growing more . Seeing the change comes from in side where the Holy Sprite makes His abode with the believer He teaches us . I hope this might help you ..Sorry if it doesn't answer your question . I tried the best I could .

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
As a raised Catholic I mouled my religion to one that very occasionally attends mass and more one that I live a good life, treat people well and I am tolerant of others. I pray every night but keep my beliefs to myself and have adopted karma as part of the belief. All in all I think I should open a church but then the followers would just corrupt it

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Is this topic only open to Christians?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No but i am looking for their perspective,but feel free to add.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

So as a christian you rely on the spirit rather then initiate your own change?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Change to what? I am told that I am a new creation .Old things pass away ,behold all things become new .I am told that we don't know what we will be but when we see Him we will know . If I knew what I was supposed to change to I might have a idea but I don't . Now I know that within the body of religions they think they know but I sure don't ....

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It's ridiculous to ask Christians philosophical questions about morality and where their God's views end and theirs takeover.

Christians have been so brainwashed by their Catholic Church, that to engage any of them in a debate is a senseless exercise.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I don't recall the op mentioning debating anything in his op so I don't know what you are on about .And Christianity does not revolve around the Catholic Church . Just so you know .

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

onequestion
So a good friend of mine is a christian. Now let me clarify before i ask questions here that i have nothing against your religion or philosophy, in fact i agree with a lot of it. I do disagree with the medium but lets not make that what this thread is about.

So here is what i am to find out. Lets look at the philosophy of changing yourself to change your world and compare them to ideas of faith and allowing god to work in your life.

At what point does you changing your environment become a step away from allowing god to work in your life?

Do you get what im asking or do we need further clarification?

I guess I would need to know what you mean by "changing your environment." Do you mean altering the circumstances that tempt us to sin? There is some benefit in that, but the greatest work that must be done is inner.

God works in us, both to create the the desire to do good and to create a purpose for us to do so. We take hold of that power and wrestle with the darker part of our human nature each and every day until God determines that we are ready to live with Him in His unfiltered presence, and we pass from this world.
edit on 13-3-2014 by Snsoc because: precision

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by Akragon

No but i am looking for their perspective,but feel free to add.

Don't mind if I do...

Understanding Jesus would be the first step... which is not hard if one focuses on what he said as opposed to the rest of "the book"

There is an underlying concept to his teaching that revolves around NOW...

In your every day life you will come across many people, and how you react to those people in life will effect how God works in your life...

Some Christians use WWJD (what would Jesus do?) which is an excellent concept if one understands how he dealt with the people in his own life...

Looking at John 10 Jesus said "Ye are gods", quoting psalms, "Ye are gods, and children of the most high"

This is not saying that we are all gods ourselves, but there is a part of God, the eternal spark that is within all life within us... Which is why he said this in his commandments...

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

All of us are part of God, his children... and we should treat our "brothers and sisters" as we would our own family... or as ourselves...

And IF we love everyone as ourselves, we act according to how God wants us to act...

Now IF "God knows what we need even before we ask of it" as it is written... The NOW is taken care of already by God...

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

And IF we love our neighbour, and we are not concerned with what "might" happen in the future because we place our trust in God, the love one shows to his fellow man will be returned to that person by God...

38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

And after a while God's love will be noticed... Not only by you, but by others as well...

So to answer your question... the point where God starts to work in one's life, is when that person learns to love others

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

the2ofusr1

I don't recall the op mentioning debating anything in his op so I don't know what you are on about .And Christianity does not revolve around the Catholic Church . Just so you know .

I dunno. The word "Protestant" seems pretty Catholic-centric, if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
"God helps those who help themselves" Best saying ever.
I don't wait for change, I be the change I want to see. However I'm not Christian, I'm Jewish.
We have a phrase, "Tikkun Olam" and it means heal the world. We strive to make the world a better place for everyone before we leave this world.

Tikkun Olam
Tikkun Olam is Judaism envisioning an ideal world. Often translated to mean 'repair of the world', and even as social justice, tikkun olam underpins our religious way of life and perspective that works towards a time of peace – not just ending war, but a time of prosperity, health and justice for al

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Your statement about the Catholic Church have weight, but i caution you to lump all Christians as being Catholic. Of the 2.2 billion Christian's, 1.1 are Catholics. The others follow many denomination or choose to no associate with an organized church at all. Many see what you do regarding the Catholic organization and have pulled away in groves. Hence you see the church trying to reinvent itself for the changing world.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Snsoc

I guess if you want to label Christianity and divide it in two groups ,Catholic and Protestant and claim that they are the same you can do that .It may not be true and might be a way of using a very broad brush but that's ok . You can even claim that a false Christian is a real one and a real one is a fake if you like . God knows . Its His project and I think He knows what He is doing ...

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I guess it all boils down on what people think happens after death. Are they here to make a difference in this world or are they here to earn their "crown" in heaven so to speak?

It doesn't matter what the denomination of Christianity is, it's the goal. Do you pray to a G-d for change or do you get up and make the change happen? Do you pray for guidance and strength to make the change or do you wait for G-d to do it for you?

SO? What is your goal?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by favouriteslave

Inevitably my goal would be to get off this dirt ball planet ,and the sooner the better .Some pretty crazy people in positions of power with some very bad weapons they plan on using .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join