It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay marriage now actively legal in England and Wales

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AnimatedMatter

Aye well it kinda is from a legislative point of view. Personaly I care not one wit whether or not men or women choose to marry one another but I do find interesting governments can legislate over ethical practices pursued by the Church.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Bellor
The big deal is though does the Church of England have to carry it out?

No, they do not, not that there's anything wrong with it.

www.reuters.com...

Church of England priests will not be allowed to bless gay and lesbian weddings, or marry someone of the same sex themselves, according to new guidelines issued by the church, which is struggling to heal divides over homosexuality.

Same-sex marriage becomes legal in England next month, posing a dilemma for the Church of England, which is the mother church of the world's 80 million Anglicans and maintains that marriage is between a man and a woman.

But following meetings last week, the church's bishops released guidelines at the weekend that ruled out any kind of blessing for gay marriages. Instead, they said, clergy could offer an informal prayer at their discretion and at the request of the couple.

edit on 16-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I applaud the decision but at the same time find it sad that books like these are still sold in the UK in bookstores and at Amazon:

The Good Faggot Guide

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Skyfloating
I applaud the decision but at the same time find it sad that books like these are still sold in the UK in bookstores and at Amazon:

The Good Faggot Guide

Legal discrimination is the key to segregation and discrimination, and those legal limits are what most social movements are and were about. Publishing books is just freedom of speech, which the UK needs more of, not less. I wish freedom of speech and of the press were formalized in UK law.
edit on 17-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I fully agree with freedom of speech. I also agree with gay marriage. The post above was tongue in cheek. "Faggots" mean something different in the UK.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Skyfloating

I fully agree with freedom of speech. I also agree with gay marriage. The post above was tongue in cheek. "Faggots" mean something different in the UK.

Ah, got it. I didn't look at your link. I will defend your right to publicize faggots, but not to use them in public restaurants.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

...and the world continues to spin on its axis without skipping a beat.

Good luck to anyone who chooses to get married, I hope they are luckier than I was and they don't end up with an adulterous faithless partners, but such is life I guess. You make your choice and take the consequences of your actions.

As someone else posted, they can now be as miserable as the rest of us!

There are far better things to worry about in life than the life choices some people choose to make, I'd rather the politicians and religious bigots focussed on things that are more important, improving the quality of healthcare for all, providing decent food and water for all, good education opportunities for all children, and a lot less spent on killing one another over matters many can't even remember the root causes.
edit on 17/3/1414 by Rob37n because: missed a word out

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Faggots themselves are tasty enough, but I am not keen on the sauce to be honest, it's a strange and acquired taste. I'd say they are more of a Midlands thing than a Northern thing, up in t'North we're more fish and chip oriented, certainly over in East Yorkshire, and in Hull where the pattie reigns supreme, you just can't get them elsewhere, 20 miles outside of Hull and all you get are blank stares. I know one guy who buys them, freezes them, and sends them to his son who lives abroad!

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

Well, pork offal under any other name is not a rose. The taste is probably all in the sauce and seasonings, which dress up any type of food that's normally uneatable.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

It's most certainly the sauce, yuk! I will be sticking to fish and chips I think.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Heathens.

Heathens, I tell you.

This is what happens when you listen to rock and roll, people.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
THIS WONDERFUL THREAD WILL BE DISCUSSED TONIGHT ON REALITY REMIX!

Join ATS Members SheepSlayer247, adjensen, NoRegretsEver, Laura, Charles1952, WRabbit2000 and CirqueDeTruth for two hours of their take on threads past and present right here on ATS!

Be sure to join us in the ATS Chat Room as well during the show, and get your views heard.

REALITY REMIX

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
As the hours tick down until gay people can actually marry each other in England and Wales, here is another good thread on the subject:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The Bishop of Salisbury of the Church of England backs same sex marriage, or so reads the Guardian headline.

www.theguardian.com...

The Church of England's divisions over gay marriage have been reopened by the Bishop of Salisbury, who has issued a statement praising the couples who will get married and assuring them of his prayers and good wishes.

Nick Holtam's supportive remarks on the eve of the legalisation of gay marriage expresses the views of a significant body of dissent within the Church of England, unhappy with the formal position that prevents Anglican clergy from marrying partners of the same sex.

Gay marriage, the bishop said, "embodies a commitment to be faithful, loving, and lifelong. These are virtues which the Church of England wants to see maximised in society."

edit on 28-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join