It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Kerry: 'Russia Has Until Monday to Reverse Course in Ukraine"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by frayedknot

Frayeknot... while I agree there is a lot of acting going on. There are some things even they don't control. Now, if they understand those things and attempt to use them to their advantage, so be it. However, America is about to be tested over the next three years, perhaps even further out whether Bush, Cheney, Obama, or Kerry like it or not.

There are a lot of possibilities with all that has happened over the last 3-4 years to consider as a drama to be played out and mess with the minds of Americans.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I can see them working out some weasel-words now...

"OK, so Putin didn't back down. OK. How can we spin this... AHA! Putin is wearing a BLUE TIE today! And that is so much less hostile than the red tie he wore last week! So yes, our stern words resulted in Putin softening his stance! So we don't have to actually follow through with out threats, because he's a much nicer individual now..."

Seriously - for God knows how long, Kerry just seems to pop up in a new country every fortnight and make some stupid threat or comment on how the world should be running itself. Can't he just head back to the US and stay out of things for a while??? I'm tired of hearing the nonsense rhetoric...

Regards,
Rewey

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WCmutant

I agree. I am having too much anxiety over how this will all play out. Follow the money. That is where the trail starts and where the trail ends. It is really difficult for a normal person to wade through the miasma of excrement, with the paltry information we are "given", to get to the truth of what is happening. On the bright side, it is better than just reading newspapers.

BTW: Kerry, McCain, Obama, and co. are all liars! just to make sure I am still on topic.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The Sheer stupidity of the leadership in the west amazes me , Do you seriously think you can threaten a former KGB agent into backing off ? Putin's support in Russia has recently increased to 71% , by openly threatening Putin with a barrage of consequences you are backing him into a corner . Because if he backs down, he looses his support in Russia and looses face in the international stage. Russia is acting very Mature not making many public statements and doing back channel talks to resolve the crisis, but same cannot be said about the west . Instead of screaming like 7 year old who cannot get his ice cream west should have kept their mouth shut , used back channel talks and provided Russia diplomatically with a solution that is face saving for both Russia and the west . But i guess that is too much to expect...

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
So exactly what will Mr. Kerry and Mr. Obama do on Monday? I suspect bring out the red paint can and try to draw a red line, the only problem is the can is empty. It got used up in Syria. The hypocrisy of the US knows no bounds as it points its finger at Russia while three fingers point back at itself. There hasn't been a conflict since WWII that US has not been involved in one way or another.

The US is a whore that's in bed with everyone on the planet and after she is through with a lover she kicks them to the curb. If anyone refuses her she murders them (Lybia, Afganistan etc.). Russia and the US have been in bed with each other for a long time but the relationship is on the rocks. This spat with Russia is just the souring of the relationship coming to light.

People are worried about the collapse of the dollar, pffft, so what. Granted the US won't be able to print its own without impunity but do you really think it's going the way of the Dodo? Where do you think the IMF (worlds lender) and Federal Reserve (worlds bank) are located, it sure isn't Europe or China. All this BS with Russia and the rest of the world is just to make sure that once WWIII occurs and all major players are out of the game, that the US is still the top dog but in the role of junkyard dog ready to be loosed on anyone that opposes the new order by the new order. If you haven't noticed the US is already in that role and soon to be given unlimited funding.

Mr. Kerry and Mr. Obama are puppets, doing exactly what they are told to do.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This fear of Russian economic retaliation to John Kerry's "threat" will send the U.S. stock market into a nose-dive, if the markets feel that Kerry is serious. Time to get out (Sell! Sell!) now???

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

carewemust

This fear of Russian economic retaliation to John Kerry's "threat" will send the U.S. stock market into a nose-dive, if the markets feel that Kerry is serious. Time to get out (Sell! Sell!) now???

It is the Russian stock market that seems to be most threatened. US and others will nose dive also but not by more than 20%. Russian market can go down by alot. It is already down by 12% or so.

4-5 big clusters of Russian military are just next door to Ukraine. If Kerry holds to his words and sanctions are stiff, then Russia might swiftly move into Eastern Ukraine from several points. More so, these Russian heavy regions would be much hostile to Ukrainian army trying to hustle through the crowds. Any human rights violation and Russian tanks will hit the top gear.

It seems right wing bastards in Kiev will soon lose half of their country.

Btw, just read that Obama tried to get Chinese Premier to openly speak against Russia but all he got was "try mediation please" to all his please and requests to bring China to his side.

edit on 14-3-2014 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

You guys are really misjudging the situation. Russia WILL back down or it will prove to be a catastrophic mistake for the country. Now Germays Merlel, who has the closest relationship with Putin is giving altamatums. This is not good for Russia. It's starts...
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

Russia WILL NOT back down or out of Crimea. This is for sure.

Regarding Eastern Ukraine, the presence of items like S-400s, Yakhont anti-ship missiles, several army clusters...........the intentions seem to be on determined side.

Russia can sell lot more gas to China if EU nations stop buying.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by victor7

I think Dennis Rodman would have more success with Chinese leadership than President Obama, LOL.
-cwm

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
For all the people who are clamoring over the possibility of a nuclear war between Russia and the US, with China thrown into the mix, you must realize that the leaders of these nations are acutely aware of the fact that they will not benefit from such an outcome. Now, it is true that Putin likely realizes that there will be no real action behind any foreign threats over any expansionist moves he makes. But just like in WWII, this only works so long. Maybe he invades the Ukraine, and maybe no other nations react. But he could not push it further and think that nothing will happen. He is not stupid.

The Germans got away with conquests of expansion, and so did the Japanese, but at the time none of the allied powers were equipped for a war, nor was technology as advanced as it is today. So I guess what I am saying is that this is a whole new ball game in some regards, although military history still holds some sway. Anything is possible, but I do not foresee any parties wanting to push for all out war. And of course war can still be had between superpowers today without nuclear weapons being used, but that is only up until the end. I'm sure every nuclear power has a plan in place for a last ditch strike to eliminate their enemies in the event they will fall.

But again I do not think any leaders of the world's superpowers today would allow things to escalate into all out war, nuclear or otherwise. Putin very well might not invade the Ukraine, simply because the benefits may not outweigh the risks. Just like China could take a huge hit to its economy to go to war with the US, but why would it? There is MUCH more to lose than to gain. Think of how long it took the world to recover from WWII. Things would take a whole lot longer to recover in the event of WW3, if things recovered at all, which depends on if the nuclear option is used. And there is a very good chance that it would be, because someone has to lose.

The former USSR always backed down, which is another thing to consider. I believe Putin to be a big fan of the former country, and would like for things to exist in Russia the way they did during that era. He learned some politics from the former government. Will this affect his decision at all? Things have changed quite a bit. But the US military is taxed at the moment, and he must realize that the US is not really in a position to wage war in the Ukraine, much less on a broader scale. Plus, the US do not have adequate troop numbers in the area at present. And a war of missile strikes will only lead to nuclear missile strikes. But a war against Russia is something the US public could get behind, unlike wars against insurgents without uniforms. Plus, I am confident that US high command shines much more when fighting an actual army, as opposed to their ineptitude when dealing with inusrgencies. Just something else that Putin must consider when analyzing the situation.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You forgot that he may shake his finger in a threatening manner as well.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Isn't John Kerry just a character on South Park ?

Serial flip-flopper with ZERO credibility ?

That John Kerry ?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Putin is laughing at them now.He stopped them from invading Syria and now he's gonna completely block NATO in Eastern Europe.The EU and UN will be pissed with the administration.They were looking to surround Russia for years now.Looks like it's not gonna happen.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
The EU is stupid they will suffer as will Russia for the benefit of others. Oh well you can't fix stupid you really can't and Europe has done more to destroy itself than any other region in recent history. I'm glad I'm relaxing in the tropics well away sipping a wonderful beverage but sometimes I want to scream when I hear about the stupidity or even read about the stupidity in past conflicts. I find it almost impossible to believe my ancestors came from the region. The best and the brightest surely did leave Europe. America won't be hurt in the slightest by this conflict but the EU certainly will be. Nations like China will benefit.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

FlyersFan
Heck no. Europe won't wreck their own economy over Putins expansion.

Don't underestimate their stupidity. You may as well try to talk to a dog to try to persuade it from disobeying its master than persuade the EU from doing what they are told. The sanctions against Iran that hurt the EU more than anyone else suggest this as does the fact they they are even considering sanctions against Russia while experiencing zero economic growth and 10.8% unemployment average in the EU region.

www.cia.gov...
edit on 14-3-2014 by john452 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

He cant do anything, he is out of Crayola crayons for drawing lines.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
It's an interesting situation.

Russia absolutely will not back down. Crimea is too important to them.

The 'West' absolutely cannot back down and be seen, especially after Syria, as weak and surrendering.

I don't believe there will be military action. Ukraine can't start possibly it, and Russia don't want to be seen to start it.

I imagine it'll go this way. It's too late to freeze Russian assets, they've already been moved well out of reach. West sanctions Gazprom and Russia. Russia then seeks alternate payment methods for it's energy. Since there isn't yet a system, one will be started. BRICS bank starts up in full.

Then things get very interesting.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Russia is losing the war that has been fought against them for decades. They are now panicking and in an utter attempt to win at least one battle they are back to old fashioned military warfare. A useless tactic, as history proved: not even when they installed an Iron Curtain were they able to win from the mighty weapon of economic wellfare. Please cut them some slack folks, give them time to realise they already lost, and we may get out of this without too many casualties.

Let's face it: it aren't the Russians whom are invading Europe - it's been the other way around, for 25 years now. The EU has not been using tanks and guns, but contracts and treaties as their weapons and have won almost every battle so far. Under the guise of the free market, economic reforms, cooperation and spreading wellfare - but we all know it's far more than that: these nations are now "Western Democracies", where they used to be "Eastern Democracies". To put it simply: "we win".

Simply look at the list of former Soviet (satellite) states, whom now are all European Nations: Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, Yugolslavia and Bulgaria. The EU more than doubled their territories - with a minimum of casualties - all at the cost of the Russian Federation. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania and now Ukraine - the EU marches on and on.

The occupation of Crimea actually does not matter much, unless Americans meddle with it and try to convert this into a real physical war, in which case the process may come to a grinding halt for decades again. But even then it does not matter, as in the end it is inevitable that the Russians will lose this "war". Nobody can stop it nor would you be wise to try - we have been suffering under self-proclaimed 'nations' too long, it's time for One World, One People. The EU demonstrates how to do it.

America and Europe should accept Russia as the new ruler of Crimea, who cares, if it make the Russians happy. We will then simply continue the war, using the tactics we have been using before: offer wealth, cooperation, treaties, do talks, sent out invitations to join show the people the results of our approach. In the end the people of Crimea will WANT to join the EU, rise and defeat the Russians THEMSELVES.

We won, folks, and nothing can stop it now.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

FlyersFan
John Kerry: 'Russia Has Until Monday To Reverse Course in Ukraine"
Oh really, Mr. Kerry? OR WHAT??

OR WhAT? Ha ha those were the words I was thinking when reading your title. Now let's see what he says exactly...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

If Russian-backed lawmakers in Crimea go through with the Sunday referendum, Kerry said the U.S. and its European allies will not recognize it as legitimate under international law.

The U.S. and Europe on Monday would then unite to impose sanctions on Russia,

Here is what would happen then - a committee would meet, declaring the actions illegitimate under international law, and then another committee would meet and decide that it might vote to impose sanctions (ha ha ha ha...)

Okay a few problems here, Russia doesn't need to be economically connected to the West. In fact, with all of the countries with sanctions on them between the Middle-East, emerging markets in South America, and then Russia and China, soon all of the best economies will be effectively trading with each other, and skipping out on the West entirely.

Also, O.P. is correct, Putin doesn't blink, he will just maintain course until his goals are met, he doesn't have time for committees and endless talk.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join