It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nation Wide Blackout Possible!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
A wake-up call from the Wall Street Journal?

The U.S. could suffer a coast-to-coast blackout if saboteurs knocked out just nine of the country's 55,000 electric-transmission substations on a scorching summer day, according to a previously unreported federal analysis.

www.foxnews.com... /politics/2014/03/13/us-risks-national-blackout-from-power-grid-attack-study-says/?intcmp=latestnews

Our infrastructure is in desperate need of attention, but it doesn't seem to be a priority. I would have thought the attack on the power station in California last April would have been the wake-up call!

The attack started when at least one person entered an underground vault to cut telephone cables, then attackers fired more than 100 shots, causing millions in damage. Workers were able to avert a blackout but it took them 27 days to repair the damage. No arrests have been made in the case.

'No arrests have been made'
Shouldn't such important facilities have adequate security?

A memo prepared at the commission for Wellinghoff before he briefed senior officials last year said "the entire United States grid would be down for at least 18 months, probably longer" if attackers knocked out just nine substations.

The results of a grid failure would dwarf Katrina by comparison!

the three regional electric systems—the West, the East and Texas—have limited interconnections, limiting their ability to assist each other in the event of an emergency, The Journal reported.

Why has this issue been addressed? Shouldn't this be a priority over the interference in other nations politics?

Executives at several utility companies told the newspaper they are boosting security at their facilities. Virginia-based Dominion Resources Inc., said it planned to spend $300 million to $500 million within seven years to improve security capabilities.

Within seven years. That concerns me greatly! Can the wheels of bureaucracy really afford to turn so slowly?

I'm thinking a good solution might be to have the senate and congress use their paid free time to do security at some of these vulnerable stations.
All they would have to do is sit there, and keep their eyes open....something that they are well qualified to do!

In closing, being that this is a conspiracy site, this thought has crossed my mind on occasion: TPTB are 'preparing' us for a total power blackout. It would certainly give a 'reset' to our failing economy, and rid society of all the 'bottom feeders' like us old folks sucking Social Security dry!

Ms.Nugget

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Already posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anyway, I do think this information is inaccurate or misleading. Why would the US disclose its grid weaknesses? Maybe it's a bait to see which terrorist is gonna bite.

A star (and flag) for your opinion, though. I don't share it but it's a good opinion.

edit on 13-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yeah I remember that, but as I recalled, the FBI didn't think it was terrorist related....
But I mean when you consider the ramifications, one would think it WAS a terrorist attack, at least a test run towards more threats down the road.
What are the solutions?

Beefed up security?

Increased infrastructure from physical attacks?

Hmm, you'll think with all the money they rake in....

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

--
Its not a matter of why the US would display weakness in our powergrids, it's abundantly clear in broad daylight, any yahoo with an electrical degree can see that, heck NO DEGREE AT ALL for that matter.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

Yeah, but why tell all of the nation's nutjobs about the exact locations of these? It's as if Wall Street is making sure something bad happens. Then when a bunch of nutjobs shuts down the Grid because they read it on the newspaper, the newspaper is gonna wash its hands by calling it "freedom of speech" as it always does.

Maybe there's something wrong with the info they are waving in our faces... Maybe the nodes are only few of much more many.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I really freaking hate it when ATS allows two or more threads on one topic.

It makes people miss things. It makes you forget where you typed what and read what.

I think it's part of the divide and conquer strategy.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

We need the widest variety of energy sources and the greatest diversity of distribution.
edit on 13-3-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by swanne

Thanks,Swanne. I started to post it at 10:45, but forgot to include a title, so I lost the whole post!
I rewrote it, but didn't check before my second attempt. Life is hard for the computer challenged!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

the FBI didn't think it was terrorist related..

They're probably the only ones!

Hmm, you'll think with all the money they rake in....

Their profit margin is excessive, IMO. Our rates keep increasing, and were told it's to 'upgrades the current infrastructure, but I see no evidence of any updates!
edit on 400000044America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: Correct spelling

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

~Lucidity
I really freaking hate it when ATS allows two or more threads on one topic.

It makes people miss things. It makes you forget where you typed what and read what.

I think it's part of the divide and conquer strategy.

I agree. Mods, feel free to shut this one down.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

It's because they're having to upgrade the power generation, not the actual means of transmission which is what this is all about.

And as for that, do you really think TPTB actually care about whether or not the entire nation goes without power? You better believe they will have their means of maintaining what they need. The rest of us are just so much collateral damage.

And it's been known for a while that our thanks to environmental activism and other concerns, our power infrastructure has become seriously stressed and vulnerable because nothing has been allowed to be done with it.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Between our water sources and the power grid, I have felt for a long time that we're sitting on a time bomb. Can you imagine the devastation if something were to happen to both?!
It would take an act of terrorism, either. Any number of natural disasters could have the same effect.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by nugget1

And as for that, do you really think TPTB actually care about whether or not the entire nation goes without power? You better believe they will have their means of maintaining what they need. The rest of us are just so much collateral damage.

But won't it be fun to see the look on their faces when we figure out how to divert their power sources and their security doesn't work anymore causing them to pop up out of the bunker? It will be the best whack-a-mole game ever!

I certainly hope the nations Governors are taking notice if this info is correct. Since King Obammy's recent comments to them about The National Guard. Use some reverse psychology, call his bluff boys and perhaps the emperor boy will produce his magical executive order pen for new infrastructure. We could use a few bridges up here where it freezes that don't produce falling cement chunks and dang it, we need power for that.
edit on 3/13/2014 by shockedonlooker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by shockedonlooker

I can't help but think that the money spent in Iraq and Afghanistan would have gone a long ways towards repairing bridges that are in danger of collapsing, dams in danger of failing and antiquated waters systems, plus the desperately needed security for our water supplies and the power grid!

top topics

join