It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For backpackers, looking for a 5 day hike in Tennessee during the winter. Advice.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Hello all,
I know that there are several backpacking sites on the web. However, I just like ATS and find its members to be intelligent and helpful. I live in New Orleans, but I thoroughly enjoy backpacking. I graduate from nursing school in December and a few friends and I would like to disappear for about 5 days. I've been to Arkansas and would like to give Tennessee a go. I haven't been camping there since I was a kid and my parents took us for a two week road trip.
We aren't in the mountains all the time, so please don't give me some super strenuous hike. Maybe something with expansive ridge views, water, you know, things that make you so very glad to get out of the city. We are all experienced and have quality gear. I hear the Big South Fork trails are nice and there's a 22 mile loop that can be done.
Mind you, we will be driving from New Orleans, so hopefully something in the southern portions?
Thank you for anyone who contributes.
Wil
P.S.-Mods, if hiking posts do not coincide with the spirit of ATS, I understand. Just a fan of the site is all.
PPS- reply with your own camping stories and photos, please. It would greatly help us out.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wilkinsonus

Hey there. I live in the middle of tennessee. There are lots of things to see. The appalachian trail is near me. There is lookout mountain in chattanooga, there are some great trails in east tenn, like around the ocoee river. Stone door, rock island waterfall and state park, lots of horse trails, (if youve never camped with horses then you may be doing it wrong)

There is also a pretty active spelunking society around here and thousands of really interesting caves.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

My advice:
Wait for later in the Spring.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

thats good advice. It still frosts here in the early morn, and always plenty of moisture and dew. Not so bad if your used to it and you keep good gear and keep it waterproofed. I hike all winter here and enjoy the lack of dense foliage that can obscure your view or make you miss something interesting. There is a lot of civil war sites in and around middle Tennessee. Lots of people walk about with metal detectors with them. I always thought it would be neat to follow some of the old trails and sites that are still marked.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Advise? Backpack when the berries are out, or maybe when there are some fruit on the trees. Hazelnuts are also good, maybe during mushroom season would be a good time too.... It's a lot more fun.

Gees, I'm always thinking about food....I think I have a little obsession with wild free foods.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Appalacian Trail....almsot anywhere along it

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Woodcarver

My husband is a native Tennessean, I am a transplant, though I have now lived the majority if my life here. I have not been to the Ocoee, but my husband loves it. Thinking about giving it a go this summer.
I've lived all over the southeast, and TN is by far the most pleasant place. It's so beautiful here. Transplants will take over!
edit on 14-3-2014 by chelsdh because: correction

new topics

top topics

join