It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Successful Morpheus lander test!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Project Morpheus is NASA's program to develop a reusable vehicle capable of rocket powered ascent and descent on planetary surfaces. Although earlier test showed some dynamic instability, the most recent test was picture perfect. This system, along with SpaceX's "Grasshopper, will be vital to the future exploration of the Solar System. Here it is at work:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thanks, that was really cool. I want one. Anything underneath there is going to be a crispy critter crickly.

So as the bugs are being worked out, are there any current plans for using this technology on flights already scheduled? I know very little about this, great intro, so thanks again.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
As the above poster stated, great post good sir.

They have come a long way. I just hope that soon, they will be able to throw technology like this in the recycle bin.

very cool though, thanks again :-)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by DJW001

Thanks, that was really cool. I want one. Anything underneath there is going to be a crispy critter crickly.

So as the bugs are being worked out, are there any current plans for using this technology on flights already scheduled? I know very little about this, great intro, so thanks again.

No flights that are currently funded. This lander is the prototype for landers that will be used for next generation exploration.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Oh, yes, truly amazing new technological achievements, ...almost, unless you know some history of VTOL (Vertical Takeoff Landing) machines. This is another part of the side show folks, "Look what we've done NOW!"

What is new with that feat? Nothing that hasn't been duplicated with all manners of automatically controlled aircraft and rocket devices on Earth, the Moon, Mars,asteroids and Lord knows where else.

It is all a diversion, folks, to shield bigger and better things that remain hidden.
Not to mention that it helps keep the US aerospace industry chuggin' along for the time being as it winds down, destined to be replaced by simpler devices that don't use air or hot gases for lift and propulsion.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I thought we landed on the moon with something very similar? Why is this such a big deal in 2014 when something LARGER was used on the moons surface back then to carry men? Hmmmm... so if we are having trouble with it in 2014 with our current technology, how did they do it back in the 60's almost flawlessly on an alien surface?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I fail to see how that is such a big thing in 2014 done it already many times 40 yrs ago
It is a bit like building a old Corvette and saying hey look what we did

edit on 25-4-2014 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
In reply to the 3 posts above - it only takes a quick look at Wikipedia to see what is new here: "a nontoxic spacecraft propellant system (methane and oxygen) and an autonomous landing and hazard detection technology. [...] The prospect is an engine that runs reliably on propellants that are not only cheaper and safer here on Earth, but could also be potentially manufactured on the Moon or even Mars."

In any case, any system must be tested before use, and simply copying a system from the 60s would be silly. There surely have been many improvements and innovations since then.

It's the same with people saying why haven't we gone back to the Moon if we still have the technology to do so. No we don't. The new moon rocket and spacecraft have to be designed anew.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

This has already been done let the private sector loose with it and with the amount of radiation spewing from the fukishima
reactor it doe's not make the Orion project look unsafe

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001
Not really even a prototype.
It's a test bed.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
a reply to: wildespace
This has already been done let the private sector loose with it and with the amount of radiation spewing from the fukishima
reactor it doe's not make the Orion project look unsafe

Concerning "this has already been done", read my post again.

I think the government agencies want to be in charge of space exploration, it won't do to let commercial corporations to Mars or asteroids and other Solar System bodies before the government gets there first.

What does Fukushima have to do with anything?

top topics

join