It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

please respect my religion

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
What kind of respect are we talking about?

I could respect someone's kindness, their intelligence, their level of faith, but I can also respect how much they hate me or how badly they might be able to kick my little behind down the street.

Just my 2 cents worth.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

the2ofusr1
Please respect my religion ,all I look for is love joy and peace . tks op

i totally respect you for practicing that
no demand necessary!

but do you need religion to decide to be that way?
under threat of say....hell..or to get the carrot...heaven...

or is it just the right thing to do?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
General respect for others should always be given. I guess it depend on how considerate of a person you are.
About religion though: It's my personal opinion that religion does not warrant respect.
Consider the following. There are hundreds of different religions on this planet, and many more that are now considered dead religions. Each of these has many sub-religions. Every single person on this earth is 100% convinced their particular religion is correct. This means every single person holds every other religion to be false as there can be only one true faith. When you take a step back, and analyze this situation properly, you come to the realization that anyone who fervently clings to any unproven beliefs (including atheism and even scientific theories) are delusional.
Sorry if I've offended.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Well dan I cam to that conclusion from reading the bible . No religious back ground or organized religion involved .There are way too many things that I don't agree with about organized religion . I guess for me it was when I realized what the church was in fact and seen that what society calls the church today is not . Like someone said earlier that people met in their homes .And where two or more are gathered in His name ,that constitutes a church . It's not a building made of wood and stone .It's not a man made thing .

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The people asking "what religion is it" are missing the whole point.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Respect is something that is developed and well earned, not something that can be received by demands. Demanded respect is meaningless and even insulting to all involved. I would rather be respected individually rather than what I may or may not attribute my beliefs to.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I heard that atheism will shortly have an actual church, and I protest once again, since the fact is that atheism has no need of such a thing.

Atheism does not need it...but a man does. Whatever the movement or an ideology, if it gathers numbers...somebody will try to use it, exploit it. It is an age old scheme...and it's about control.

Somebody out there has seen it as an opportunity to instill control over those that have broken away from religious control....like in the beginnings of the New Age movement...it was all innocent and beautiful...until the vultures relized that you can make money of people seeking answers.

When you get to the root of things..it is always about one or the other...money or control.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
You don't have to respect anyone IMO.

But to be a valuable member of society you shouldn't maliciously disrespect anyone either. The existence of an all powerful creator isn't provable. Neither is Atheism. You might as well think someone is less enlightened than you because their favorite color is yellow while you favor red.

Don't get me wrong, we can (and will) THINK anything we want about some group or individuals beliefs that conflict with our own. But those thoughts aren't disrespect - it's the saying something and/or doing something that creates disrespect. It's not that difficult.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Respect is earned not demanded an no religion that I can think of has earned any respect imo. Perhaps Buddists? But I aint sure on that as I have tried my best to keep away from any kind of spirit in the sky gang. My loving kind peaceful spirit in the sky is better than yours an if you dont believe me then I will blow my self up an kill you? lol Onwards christian soldiers? Killing for jesus the rabbi is on a par with f**king for virgins. I worked in refugee camps around Africa back in the 80s, 100s of thousands of women and children all dying of starvation and dehydration. All caused by devout christians and faithful muslims. May they all go to their own religions versions of hell.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Respecting people, their inherit worthiness is important. Respecting ideas and ISMS that harm the world is not, and its extreme censorship and fascism to expect this. Sometimes in personal conversations, as opposed to threads or platforms where you're trying to nudge awareness and to see through ISMS, but personal ones, it is necessary to respect individual feelings because some are very sensitive and can become unhinged if you say the wrong word.

On the other hand, living afraid to speak and share ideas, afraid that you might say the wrong word, is not possible either. Won't do that for anyone.

Striving to find a balance between all these things is probably a good goal.
edit on 13-3-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

JohnTheSmith
General respect for others should always be given. I guess it depend on how considerate of a person you are.
About religion though: It's my personal opinion that religion does not warrant respect.
Consider the following. There are hundreds of different religions on this planet, and many more that are now considered dead religions. Each of these has many sub-religions. Every single person on this earth is 100% convinced their particular religion is correct. This means every single person holds every other religion to be false as there can be only one true faith. When you take a step back, and analyze this situation properly, you come to the realization that anyone who fervently clings to any unproven beliefs (including atheism and even scientific theories) are delusional.
Sorry if I've offended.

You know, this is where many people go wrong, they do not know the teachings of other religions. Take my religion for instance, and the one I follow.

It is written that God will judge people according to the teachings of their books, and their Prophet - whoever that Prophet is that God sent to their people. It is also written that if a person was in absolute ignorance of the truth - and that ignorance includes incorrect teachings of that same truth - then the individual will be judged as an individual...

In other words, many people from all walks of life and all times will see a heaven, and many will see a punishment. That punishment will fit the crimes they committed, and not exceed such a just punishment. In other words, hell is also not eternal for most.

I have respect for all people according to their actions and the respect they deserve, and kindness toward others above all. I have faith that the God I worship is Just, and that He will wrong no man. This above all, I believe and I follow.

Most people do not give me the respect of even learning what my religion teaches before deciding I follow an evil religion however. That is what I find sad...

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I am a Witch. My religion is called Wicca. I have recently been accused of making a pact with the devil. Wicca is a very misunderstood religion mostly because Hollywood has portrayed witches in a bad light. Christianity also casts its shadow on my religion. I do not care to convert anyone to my religion. It is certainly not the path for everyone. I would like to point out though that Satan or the devil are Christian concepts that do not exist in Wicca therefore no witch past or present has made a pact with any such entity. Wicca is an earth or nature based religion. I study the natural world. I follow the seasons and give thanks to the creative force in the universe for the beauty that each season brings. I've had butterflies land on my hand. I've had horses cross a large meadow to come to my side without saying a word. A cow once nudged her calf in my direction when I stood at the fence surrounding their paddock. Dogs and cats naturally migrate to me. I attribute this to being in sync with the natural world. That and I just love these creatures lol

I have an herb garden which helps me with spells and makes my cooking yummy. Please respect my religion and don't accuse me of being in a pact with any devil or entity that Christians associate with evil. That is your religious beliefs and doesn't have any basis in truth where Wicca is concerned.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

The God I believe in gave us all freewill to choose. I cannot fault you for choosing to exercise your freewill anymore than you can fault me.

First: Do no harm.

The killing of one human being is like the killing of the whole of humanity.

Do no harm.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Here is the biggest problem that I see....
Too often religion is used by people to get what they want.
Wars have been fought, millions have died in the name of religion. In the name of God, even.
I feel that these are in name alone though. People used God and religion to get others to follow.

Those who know.....just know. They have faith. They do not have to be preached at to know what to believe, they search and watch for themselves.
I believe in the God of the Bible. Not out of fear of Hell, nor out of the hope of Heaven. But out of the faith in things I have witnessed.
There have been things in my life that can have no other answer.
Many will say that is "closed minded". I say nay, to think that all those with faith have no basis for their beliefs, simply because you have not seen what they have, is the true close mindedness.
Quad

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
yeah - I really should have included at least my definition of respect :

source

4. deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly

its that simple - for me at least

I am an atheist , and hold a secular humanist worldview

the only respect I woulkd wish for - is the freedom to hold and act on these views without threats or actions of violence , discrimination , retaliation , punative punishment or the withholding of other rights

to be blunt - the only thing that theists should be able to prohibit me from doing - just because I do not subscribe to their faith is participlation in rites / rituals specific to their faith or entry into holy sites specific to their faith

but too many religious groups expect such respect of their religiosity - but still want to condem others and withhold secular rights - WTF is wrong with them

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

"Some people worship God for fear of hell. This is the worship of slaves. Some people worship in the hope of reward. This is the worship of businessmen. There is, however, a group of people who worship God purely for the love of God. This is the worship of free people and is the best form of worship"

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

withhold secular rights?

Explain...

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I expect to one day be wandering in the desert where I'll come across an oddly misshapen stone. I'm fairly certain I'll flip it over and find underneath an inscription upon it: "The Mormons were right. Sincerely, the Universe." It is at that point I will wake up and realize that it was just a dream.

Sadly, the universe will never confirm any religion, and any dogma that purports itself to be true is at the same time being false. A contradiction. The fact that there are many religions, many gods, many philosophies and so forth, prove quite reasonably that religion is merely ideology and never truth.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I respect other's religions.

Just don't coming knocking on my door. Which if you do gives me by default the right to tell you what I think of it.

edit on 13-3-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
so want respect ? why should I respect you if you will not reciprocate the favour ?

I can't respect something that is idiotic. I simply can not.
However, I can respect a persons choice to decide to believe the idiotic religion if they want.
Unless their choice of following something idiotic interferes with my life.
(like if some religion demands that all women wear a floor length dress in public and not pants .. something stupid like that ... and it somehow gets pushed on me)
Then, not only will I not respect that religion, I won't respect their following it either.

That's just where I am on it. Stay off my lawn and I'll stay off yours.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join