It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best amateur telescope "available" on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I often ask myself why i rarely (never?) see a discussion about the moon on this page which involves own equipment. But maybe i just missed it.

As there are often Threads about the moon and its visible side and all kinds of blurry structures: . Is any user here with equipment which can proof that those high res amateur images floating around are not ways to discourage people to look for themselves for structures?

I mean: is any "amateur" here that has High-Res images you trust totally?

I would guess that as time goes by it is more and more possible to zoom closer and closer wihout having to spend a lot of money??

Ok i don´t believe that anything is on the visible side of the moon but nethertheless i wonder why never in these discussions amateur telescopes are used by users.

I would guess a lot of private astonomeurs buy a telescope because they love conspiracy topics like this???
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Misread sorry.
edit on 12-3-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I presume this comes from tachynators thread which I just replied to your comment. I think jadestar has access to such equipment and has posted some amazing images. Give her a pm as she is someone Iwould trust to be honest and up front.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kukri

interesting

I know jadestar from screaming "hoax" in many threads of mine...so ok : if flysolo is the other one..i will become a conspiracy theorist
lol

edit on 12-3-2014 by kauskau because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

Wow, literally 3 nights ago i actually looked through a telescope at the moon (and Jupiter) for the first time ever in... ma life lol.

It was amazing I could see all the impact craters and ridges which I presume are mountains.

Tonight i put a more powerful "lens"??? on the telescope and my mind was blown, so i went straight onto ebay to see how much a decent telescope would cost, mine is a £30 Kiddies Argos job, has a 16.6mm field lens and a 8.8mm high power lens whatever that means??

Then I thought I would look up threads about telescopes on ATS.

I get home and quickly scan ATS and this is in the new threads section.

SPOOKY!!!!

When I know how to use telescopes better and find any abnomalities on the moon I will be sure to post them on here straight away

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

kauskau
reply to post by Kukri

interesting

I know jadestar from screaming "hoax" in many threads of mine...so ok : if flysolo is the other one..i will become a conspiracy theorist
lol

LMAO. I think she's getting a little more accepting of the "unusual" but I'm just going by what i've been reading, flysolo I don't really know of. I would trust anything jade said though she seems pretty levelheaded. It's hard for most people to take leaps of faith.

edit on 12-3-2014 by kauskau because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

Synchronicty will accompany our lifes more and more from now on.

I am looking forward to your pictures..

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
You are just not going to get any real high resolution pictures of the moon using a telescope on Earth. Sure there are some great amateur shots of the moon, but zoomed in, they all fail any real detail. Professional equipment does a better job, but still fails to come up with anything as good as a picture taken from space. The reason for this is based upon how the atmosphere distorts the imagery. Techniques of "stacking" multiple pictures do wonderful things for clarity, but still... you are always left wanting when you need to see some real detail.

I would recommend at least a 6" refractor, or an 8" reflector/Schmidt for any serious work, manufactured by Mead or Celestron. Scopes like this can be had from between $500 and $1500 that will do as well with the moon as much more expensive equipment. Tracking modifications are real important here as well, because the Moon and Earth are always in motion, and you need to compensate for it.

In the end, It is all about the atmospheric distortion that limits what you can do with an Earth based telescope.

edit on 12-3-2014 by charlyv because: clarity

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

See, when I know what a 6" refractor, or an 8" reflector/Schmidt even means I will definately be out, me, ma telescope and the dogs clicking away at all the moon bases and UFOs docking on Jupiter etc ha ha ha.

Sorry it`s late am going bed now

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

kauskau
I often ask myself why i rarely (never?) see a discussion about the moon on this page which involves own equipment. But maybe i just missed it.

As there are often Threads about the moon and its visible side and all kinds of blurry structures: . Is any user here with equipment which can proof that those high res amateur images floating around are not ways to discourage people to look for themselves for structures?

I would guess that as time goes by it is more and more possible to zoom closer and closer wihout having to spend a lot of money??

Ok i don´t believe that anything is on the visible side of the moon but nethertheless i wonder why never in these discussions amateur telescopes are used by users.

I would guess a lot of private astonomeurs buy a telescope because they love conspiracy topics like this???

I am not sure about what you want to say.

Everyone can go out and buy a decent amateur telescope, say like a 10" dobson or similar type of telescope. You would also be surprised how many people actually HAVE such equipment or better.

I don't think the typical conspiracy theorist is the one buying a decent telescope, it's people interested in astronomy where the MOON is actually a rather uninteresting object.

I mean what do you expect? Thousands are likely looking at the moon every night with good equipment...if there was something of interest I am sure we would know. Problem: THERE is nothing really of interest unless you find craters extremely exciting. (The above thread I consider a joke since it showed exactly that, CRATERS which you would see in a telescope. This silly post didn't even show "abnormal" "structures" like geometric structures but exactly what a crater looks like, one of zillions of roundish impact craters on moon. No "structure" or ANY form of "anomaly" WHATSOEVER.)

What you mean with "as time goes by it's possible to zoom in closer"? In astronomy it's not so much about "zooming in", in a general sense its about the opening/aperture of a telescope and its ability to collect light, not so much about the magnification/zoom. At some point there is just a limit for magnification, you can not "infinitely" zoom in on a planet, moon etc. and then having more clear details, this is not how it works. (The maximal "useful" magnification level also depends on the specs/aperture of the telescope, at some point greater zoom levels will just cause distortion/blur or the image will get too dim....it's not unlimited, only "in theory".)

Also..seeing that thousands of amateur astronomers do indeed exist who have decent telescopes...and we don't have tons of "mysterious pictures of structures on the moon" should be proof for you that those structures do not exist. (I mean I could go out right now and buy a nice telescope, rest assured if I were to find something suspicious I would certainly post pictures and let anyone know. The problem here is that besides craters there IS not really anything of interest up there, ok, depending how you define "of interest" of course).

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

If you are contemplating getting a telescope for your own curiosity make it a used one...if your interest is still there after a year you may want to look at a intermediate one or one that has a camera adapter and a tracking motor...

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Thx!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

How much would i have to spend to get pictures like this

lpod.wikispaces.com...

(this is an amateur picture)

wow
edit on 13-3-2014 by kauskau because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   

kauskau

Well if you look at a really good telescope say The Hubble with it's 2.4 mtr mirror and it being above the atmospheric murk we have to look through it can only resolve objects about 300ft across on the Moon so hi-resolution and amatuer telescope views of supposed structures on the Moon will never happen for that reason and the fact they don't exist!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

so we are at the end of our capabilites to zoom in on objects?

I must admit: i hoped this is only the beginning. But you are right: magnification has natural limits.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

kauskau

How much would i have to spend to get pictures like this

lpod.wikispaces.com...

(this is an amateur picture)

wow

That crater is 93km across

The equipment was Celestron C14 Schmidt Cassegrain and Lumenera and SKYnyx 2.0M camera now you can look up the cost.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

not so expensive as i thought. I am thinking about it.

Me and my wife are buying a house in a really isolated area in the tropical forest of peru...the night sky there is "awesome".
This would be a good place to test this thing..

thx

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

kauskau
reply to post by wmd_2008

not so expensive as i thought. I am thinking about it.

Me and my wife are buying a house in a really isolated area in the tropical forest of peru...the night sky there is "awesome".
This would be a good place to test this thing..

thx

I would skip the telescope and stock up on bug spray...

Could you do us all a favor and share some pictures now and then of the forest?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I will..

Will take a year until the house is built..
The land my wife already bought years ago when it was cheap.

I will go to Peru in summer and go to on of this places that has "telescopes " into the sub conscious realms.

www.youtube.com...

top topics

join