It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheila Jackson Lee Thinks the Constitution is 400 Years Old

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Well that certainly is a long stretch to say the least Dan.

Rep Jackson was referring to the U.S. Constitution because she (ironically) was talking about some current bill that she says is unconstitutional.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Dutch settlers or Englishmen or French colonizations or ships on fire in the Hudson River.

Nice info anyway !!

And I'm sure many Americans don't understand the colony years before the United States existed.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Except we didn't spend those 400 years operating under a constitution.

If she meant what you are jumping through hoops to read into her quote, she needed to explain it better particularly when it has been exposed over and over that she is not all that bright (remarks about driving the Mars rover past the flag planted on Mars by the astronauts). It is entirely plausible to assume that she really did mean that we've lived under the COTUS for 400 years.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

crazyewok
Dam you American should at least vote people into office that know your own history

If we did that then no one would be in office.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

i realize she has some funny views, but she is black..all you white people look the same to her

we can agree to disagree Xu thats why the just sayin in my post
that was the first white settlement in the us...this time around

im sure she knows the basic dates...constitution week and all

To encourage all Americans to learn more about the Constitution, Congress in 1956 established Constitution Week, to begin each year on September 17th, the date in 1787 when delegates to the Convention signed the Constitution. In 2004, Senator Robert C. Byrd of West Virginia included key provisions in the Consolidated Appropriations Act of Fiscal Year 2005 designating September 17th of each year as Constitution Day and requiring public schools and governmental offices to provide educational programs to promote a better understanding of the Constitution.
www.senate.gov...

i wonder how many american actually know the date and year without googling

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

ketsuko

Except we didn't spend those 400 years operating under a constitution.

If she meant what you are jumping through hoops to read into her quote, she needed to explain it better particularly when it has been exposed over and over that she is not all that bright (remarks about driving the Mars rover past the flag planted on Mars by the astronauts). It is entirely plausible to assume that she really did mean that we've lived under the COTUS for 400 years.

duh..every one knows that...

its just the sentence structure in the middle of a speech
edit on Wedpm3b20143America/Chicago10 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

She's black, why not throw some of those stereotypes in too? It'll make you look no less ridiculous.

She's a woman, she shouldn't be expected to know much about history, she only really needs knowledge of domestic service. Amiright?

I mean, seriously, get over yourself.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Just goes to Show you don't Need a Grade School Education to become a Politician .

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
its not unconstitutional. it's un mayflower compactinal or dutch east india company charteronal.

seriously though; the thread title is problematic. thought requires more than a ganglion plexus barely suitable for maintaining autonomic functions.

besides isn't that idiot the former representative of another state that sent her packing before she somehow got back on the govt gravy train in texas? i think it was her.
edit on 12-3-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Okay, I plead 100% and total innocence. 400 years ago was Jamestown and that was all on the British. We didn't like them much either, later on.

The First Anglo-Powhatan War was fought from 1609 until 1614 and pitted the English settlers at Jamestown against an alliance of Algonquian-speaking Virginia Indians led by Powhatan (Wahunsonacock). After the English arrived in Virginia in 1607, they struggled to survive through terrible drought and cold winters. Unable to adequately provide for themselves, they pressured the Indians of Tsenacomoco for relief, which led to a series of conflicts along the James River that intensified in the autumn of 1609. Powhatan ordered something like a siege of the English fort, which lasted through the winter of 1609–1610 and precipitated the so-called Starving Time.

This was the Indians' best chance to win the war, but the English survived and, after the arrival of reinforcements, viciously attacked. Using terror tactics borrowed from Queen Elizabeth's conquest of Ireland, English soldiers burned villages and towns and executed women and children. Eventually they defeated the Nansemonds and Kecoughtans at the mouth of the James and the Appamattucks near the falls. After two years, Captain Samuel Argall captured Powhatan's daughter Pocahontas in the spring of 1613 and turned his prisoner into the leverage necessary to make peace.
Source

Winning hearts and minds right from the start of things. Indeed. What a time reference to choose. She ought to be disqualified on sheer stupidity. It might be contagious at that level, but then, given where she is at? How would we spot infection?

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
She was talking about how long that europeans have been in this country with her 400 year remark. Notice that she didn't actually SAY the constitution was 400 years old, she said this nation is 400 years old. Which is partially true.

Of course since many of you believe the Constitution was written by God, it's hard for you all to make fun of this representative.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Nice try.

From the OP
(bold is mine)

“Maybe I should offer a good thanks to the distinguished members of the majority, the Republicans, my chairman and others, for giving us an opportunity to have a deliberative constitutional discussion that reinforces the sanctity of this nation and how well it is that we have lasted some 400 years, operating under a constitution that clearly defines what is constitutional and what is not,” she said.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

She's an idiot.

Yep!

All politicians are 'idiots'.

Not a single one can add 2+2.

Yes sirrie!

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

xuenchen

Well that certainly is a long stretch to say the least Dan.

Rep Jackson was referring to the U.S. Constitution because she (ironically) was talking about some current bill that she says is unconstitutional.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Dutch settlers or Englishmen or French colonizations or ships on fire in the Hudson River.

Nice info anyway !!

And I'm sure many Americans don't understand the colony years before the United States existed.

400 years ago Jacksons ancestors were slaves.

And that was completely 'constitutional'.

Er wait.
edit on 12-3-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Notice the comma there.

Even to spite that, individual colonies were operating under at least the magna carta, if not their own limited constitutions.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

HauntWok
reply to post by beezzer

Notice the comma there.

Even to spite that, individual colonies were operating under at least the magna carta, if not their own limited constitutions.

Yes. She must have been referring to the Magna carta.

---> Place eye roll image here

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Eye roll all you want, during that time, if they weren't operating under their own constitutions, they were working under the magna carta. Which, wasn't delivered to them by Jesus, who didn't found America.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

gee that wasn't quite accurate NEO it was 1619...man don't you know anything?
if you answered 1614 on a citizenship test or exam that would be a fail
afroamhistory.about.com...

just kidding to illustrate a point

its not my intent to offend you here
question:
all you people who never make mistakes:
what sized mistake is ok
and what size is deserving of such vitriol

5 years off, 10 a 100?

get my point now?
edit on Wedpm3b20143America/Chicago51 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

crazyewok
Dam you American should at least vote people into office that know your own history

That's ok .... the people that are put into office don't even read the damn legislation they vote on. In the final analysis, would their intellect matter?

My pet rock has more intelligence.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

greencmp
Oh my god.

Incompetence must be a disqualifying factor for our legislators, she should step down.

Oh boy. Is it really only our leaders that should just up and quit for saying something stupid? Does this one instance prove total incompetence? Can any one of us say that we could just walk onto the floor of the house, start penning bills and giving speeches, and never make a mistake, never say anything dumb?

You know what? We all say stupid things. Not any one of us knows everything and does everything perfectly. So here's the deal. If this lady has to just quit for saying something stupid, why don't we all just quit? I mean, there's no point in trying harder if we're just going to make some little stupid mistake one day, and someone on the internet calls for our resignation for it.

I just feel embarrassed for the poor lady. History is HARD!
edit on 13-3-2014 by Mon1k3r because: Sorry greencmp, not harpin' on ya - just took me back to another conversation I had recently, and I rehashed it here...

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by juspassinthru

well, they say you get the government you deserve,

the peeps keep voting incumbents in.
like the dual passport types that keep sponsoring anti gun legislation
and the peeps keep complaining about the legislation... but really whos at fault?
whose money is getting taken
who is the dummy there?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join