It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And Up from the Deep Came a Bubbling...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnTheSmith

Am I seriously supposed to believe liquid water is present 600 KM below the earths surface?

No. But there are hydrated minerals.

The water-rich nature of this inclusion, indicated by infrared absorption, along with the preservation of the ringwoodite, is direct evidence that, at least locally, the transition zone is hydrous, to about 1 weight per cent.

www.nature.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

masqua

You're not asked to believe anything. What's being asked is to look at the supporting evidence in the OP and what other members have contributed and make your own decision on what it all suggests.

Yes I understand that, and I'm still absorbing this...
I'm just somewhat taken aback, as the ramifications of this being true would change almost everything from a geologist's perspective. It just seems like a large leap to make from a discovery so small. And that's my 2 cents.

ETA: Alright Phage, I'll have a look at your link.
edit on 3 16 2014 by JohnTheSmith because: Inclusion of recognition of member's link.

ETA 2: Yes, 1% hydrous by weight. That's a lot better than an ocean of water.
edit on 3 16 2014 by JohnTheSmith because: Response to member's link.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Boiling is as much a function of pressure as it is of temperature:

Pressure: when the external pressure is:
less than one atmosphere, the boiling point of the liquid is lower than its normal boiling point.
equal to one atmosphere, the boiling point of a liquid is called the normal boiling point.
greater than one atmosphere, the boiling point of the liquid is greater than its normal boiling point.

Boiling

Thing is, heat is not the primary motive force within the earth at the depths discussed in the OP article:

Abstract—Physical evidence indicates that a thermally driven Earth, plate tectonics, and elastic rebound theory violate fundamental physical principles, and that Earth is a quantified solid body, the size of which possibly increases with time. Earth’s core is considered as a low-temperature, high-energy/high- frequency, high-tension material, wherein new elements form, constituting the Excess Mass (EM), which is then added atom-by-atom to the overlying mantle.

An Integrated Alternative Conceptual Framework to Heat Engine Earth, Plate Tectonics, and Elastic Rebound

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I know it's a tiny bit of dirty diamond, but a fascinating theory nonetheless. I'm sure we'll hear more about it as time goes by. The fact that other scientists have taken note are testament to that.

I'll be doing some searching on the impact of the story in future weeks.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yes, I agree. Now that I've got the image of an actual body of water out of my head (lol) I can entertain this concept without remorse.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join