It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70% of Federal Spending is Writing Checks to Individuals

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I love how everyone immidiately jumps to welfare and social security being these 70%, once again, blaming it all on the poor. Yet no one pointing out the obvious: paychecks. How many of these checks to individuals are employee paychecks?

The number of federal government civilian employees is at about 2,723,000. If you add the current number of active military, about 1.4 million troops, all of whom are individuals who also receive paychecks from Uncle Sam. Add to that non-paycheck payments like travel reimbursements, ect. Then you have millions of veterans who receive some sort of benefit from the VA. Plus retired federal employees and their pensions.

Government employees make good salaries, have good benefits. And they are individuals. Social security and welfare don't pay that much.

The answer is none. This doesnt include government payroll.

From the article:

Where do these checks go? The biggest chunk, 38.6%, goes to pay health bills, either through Medicare, Medicaid or ObamaCare. A third goes out in the form of Social Security checks. Only 21% goes toward poverty programs — or "income security" as it's labeled in the budget — and a mere 5% ends up in the hands of veterans.

People immediately claim these are going to the "poor" because thats exactly where the majority of the money is going.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Ummm, you clearly didn't address the statement of "The money is gone".
You instead went off on how voting Republican (Which I am not) is a false pathway to success.
And then about how certain people need to stop being the victim.

Funny, as wasn't it you that just went off about how its wrong that people like me state we are tired of funding you??

Victim vs victim I guess.

But, avoid the fact that your beloved SS money has been spent many times over, even before the next "fix" has been injected into the Govt pocket.

I'm tired of having the Money I make/earn going to crap like this.

No victim, just tired of being stolen from.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Or a lot less on the Govt.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I agree but to a point.

Who should get the wrath??

The generation that has put us into this position?
The Govt that bought control via that same generation?
The generation that has no issue taking the money, knowing that it's funded by someone else, and that the promise to the next person is false?

Or just me? The funding party to this Ponzi scheme????

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

So, you sold valuable farmland to be developed for track homes, and I'm the problem???

Oh, I also see you have attempted to hit upon the "macho" thing with the 'man up' statement. Conservatives need to man up and just pay for this crap, no questions asked. Yeah, gotta love the Progressive mindset.

Your crap stinks like all the others.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

macman
reply to post by olaru12

So, you sold valuable farmland to be developed for track homes, and I'm the problem???

Actually it was developed as an industrial park where to date aprox. 200 people are gainfully employed. I take responsibility for my family, employees and the property I own, in the best
way I know how; sorry you don't approve of my business model but So far we have been blessed with a fair amount of prosperity. It's really none of your business how I run my business but thanks for the input anyway.

And as far as the Social Security disagreement, about the only thing I can suggest is to vote for the person that reflects your attitude and hope for the best. Isn't that the American way?
edit on 13-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

macman

I agree but to a point.

Who should get the wrath??

The generation that has put us into this position?
The Govt that bought control via that same generation?
The generation that has no issue taking the money, knowing that it's funded by someone else, and that the promise to the next person is false?

Or just me? The funding party to this Ponzi scheme????

The government. 100%. And any delegate working for them. I am not a fan of the "Badges are redcoats" slogan that HanzHenry uses...but the sentiment is true. Because when you decide that your screwing is over, its the badges that you will have to contend with.

But your ire should be at the government. It is the body that owns it. The generation you are talking about has been screwed over just like you. The generation that put SS in place...they paid their price in Europe and in the Pacific.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

olaru12

Actually it was developed as an industrial park where to date aprox. 200 people are gainfully employed. I take responsibility for my family, employees and the property I own, in the best
way I know how; sorry you don't approve of my business model

Who said I don't approve?

olaru12
but So far we have been blessed with a fair amount of prosperity. It's really none of your business how I run my business but thanks for the input anyway.

It's none of my business, yet you are the one that offered it up here as everyone's business.

olaru12
And as far as the Social Security disagreement, about the only thing I can suggest is to vote for the person that reflects your attitude and hope for the best. Isn't that the American way?

I vote Libertarian. Or the PERSON that best reflects they are for smaller Govt, less taxes and basically to get out of my way.

You also failed again to address the fact that SS is broke. Don't worry though. We all know this and your acknowledgment isn't needed.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I agree to a point again, but I think all need to be held accountable.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

It seems olaru isnt doesnt really have a foothold in reality given the statement on who believes they are the victim.

Ignoring trolls like that is the best course of action

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

But your ire should be at the government. It is the body that owns it. The generation you are talking about has been screwed over just like you. The generation that put SS in place...they paid their price in Europe and in the Pacific.

The solution isnt to just keep screwing over the future generations though. The only solution is to accept theyve been screwed, and not insist that those currently in the workforce continue to be the screwees to subsidize those who are already receiving SS checks.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I typically don't hold the lower levels of a pyramid accountable. They were suckers to the scam, too.

Who collected the money under false pretense?

Who spent the money on things outside of its intention?

That is who you hold responsible. Since there are no individuals within the government left that made those decisions first, you simply have to shift your focus on the ones who propagate it.

How do we get out of this hole? Well....when it comes to that point then I say everyone should take the screwing individually. Yes, you paid into a system that we decided to pull the plug on. Then we all suffer. But no one should pay until we have the "fix" decided on and in motion. Otherwise, you are just giving a broom to the perpetrators to sweep it all under the rug.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

That is exactly right.

So once we have a fix in place....let me know. If its something worth consideration (namely, that the government gets out of the business of sticking it in my keister), ill agree with a vote.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

That is exactly right.

So once we have a fix in place....let me know. If its something worth consideration (namely, that the government gets out of the business of sticking it in my keister), ill agree with a vote.

People are responsible for their own retirement planning, and since government has no constitutional authority to be involved in it, I believe there need not be another option. Do away with it entirely and let people be responsible for themselves for a change.
[SNIP]
edit on 3/13/2014 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Chase the ball, not the player.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

That is an interesting point you make.

So, to solve the insolvency of social security, the investors/creditors should take a bath and eat their losses. Cool...i get that. And don't disagree in the least.

but there HAS to be an option. The only one that works for me is to have a law then put in place preventing such nonsense from happening again in the future. I also think that moneys paid in within the last 10 years by employees (not employers) should be credited back. Not because we need to "make it right" insomuch as we need to cripple Uncle Sam.

I am a proponent of small government (a la Thoreau's opening in Civil Disobedience). I think we are at a point where we need to limit what they have to work with financially. All our problems relate to a bloated government that spends money it doesn't have.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

We constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. How come we never hear about welfare running out of money?
What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money, but the second didn't ! IMO Social Security would be solvent if all the government IOUs were called in and a law made to keep their sticky fingers out of the fund to begin with..

If they can print money to bail out banks and pay their bonuses then they should run a few shekels for those who paid into the fund for 40 or 50 years! I would be very happy with 5% interest on all the money I have paid in.. cut me a check and be done with it.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." The stated reason for this policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus Ends Today's Lesson On Irony....or call it a thought for the day !

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

The largest part goes to healthcare. I take it you don't want people to get any healthcare unless they can pay for it themselves?

Where do these checks go? The biggest chunk, 38.6%, goes to pay health bills, either through Medicare, Medicaid or ObamaCare. A third goes out in the form of Social Security checks. Only 21% goes toward poverty programs — or "income security" as it's labeled in the budget — and a mere 5% ends up in the hands of veterans.

news.investors.com...#

Developed first world western countries have public healthcare and welfare systems. Are you proposing an alternative to get rid of them entirely? You would have a few problems with civil unrest to say the least.

Government spending and debt is a major problem. I think the main problem is government mismanagement and overspending and that's why you have a 17 trillion debt. 2 wars didn't help either.
edit on 13-3-2014 by JimTSpock because: spelling

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

olaru12

doubletap

olaru12

Do you think that my Social Security check is unconstitutional. I paid into that system for 25 years for Christ sake.

If the feds didnt take that money out of your check, what would you have done with it?

Just curious as to what your answer is....

It's none of your business how I spent or will spend my money in the future, is it?

but for your information, I would probably have enjoyed a nicer lifestyle than constantly wondering how I was going to pay my bills and feed a family.

I can tell you one thing..........if any political party tries to mess with social security, medicare or medicaid; the ageing population of America will shut them down right quick. Ideological BS just won't fly with struggling seniors.
edit on 12-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

SO basically they buy votes. Gotcha.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

NavyDoc

olaru12

doubletap

olaru12

Do you think that my Social Security check is unconstitutional. I paid into that system for 25 years for Christ sake.

If the feds didnt take that money out of your check, what would you have done with it?

Just curious as to what your answer is....

It's none of your business how I spent or will spend my money in the future, is it?

but for your information, I would probably have enjoyed a nicer lifestyle than constantly wondering how I was going to pay my bills and feed a family.

I can tell you one thing..........if any political party tries to mess with social security, medicare or medicaid; the ageing population of America will shut them down right quick. Ideological BS just won't fly with struggling seniors.
edit on 12-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

SO basically they buy votes. Gotcha.

Isn't that what was warned by our founders? Once the people realized they could vote money to themselves, we would have problems?

It is easy to bribe thousands.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

727Sky

We constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. How come we never hear about welfare running out of money?
What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money, but the second didn't ! IMO Social Security would be solvent if all the government IOUs were called in and a law made to keep their sticky fingers out of the fund to begin with..

If they can print money to bail out banks and pay their bonuses then they should run a few shekels for those who paid into the fund for 40 or 50 years! I would be very happy with 5% interest on all the money I have paid in.. cut me a check and be done with it.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." The stated reason for this policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus Ends Today's Lesson On Irony....or call it a thought for the day !

SS is a welfare program, not a retirement plan. Or, so they have clarified. On one the payroll side its a tax. On the disbursement side its a welfare benefit.

The rest of your post:
Love it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join