It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policeman charged after shocking CCTV footage shows brutal attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Looks like new craze has found us here across the pond!

A police officer who was caught on CCTV camera repeatedly punching a suspected female shoplifter and pinning her to the ground by her neck in a Regent Street clothing store has been spared jail.

Pc James Kiddie was found guilty of common assault and sentenced to a 150-hour community order and £500 at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

Video

This was apparently a more of an aggravated assault since:

Pc Kiddie, who attended the scene alone, told the court that he was trying to search her bag when Ms Reed bit his finger and claimed she had Aids.
eta: It doesn't actually look like she bites him, more like she snaps her teeth at him, no actual contact.

But the level of force was totally un-justified...

The CCTV footage shows Pc Kiddie grabbing Ms Reed by the hair and dragging her to the floor before punching her three times in head. He then pins her down as he waits for backup to arrive.

Totally sickening how much police officers think they can get away with. I can not wait for the day when all officers have to have body cams on at all times.

I just wanted to share this with the members of ATS, especially those of us in the UK. Police brutality is worldwide and we need to show that WE WILL NOT ALLOW THIS.

Source

Mettā ~
edit on 12-3-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

Hopefully this will put an end to the "who is more violent" debate.

The answer is no one.

We are all the same! Just as violent as the next.

Police brutality has to stop we need to record our encounters with them and document everything so there is no room to play favorites.

Kallisti

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Something is wrong though...
Your cop was found guilty and sentenced.

Most of ours never get charged. They are put on 'administrative leave'. That's where they get paid for NOT working until the story blows over.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Yes, we are more strict on our police, but they still try to get away with what they can.

A friend of mine had cannabis planted on him, after being interviewed for thirty minutes, he said "Go test what you found then!", at which point they said, "We'll share the other one", they meant my friend, who did rightfully get stopped for possession.

The problem with that stuff is quotas, police have to make X amount of arrests per week. It makes them invent crimes and enforce age old ones. They look for any excuse to get an arrest.

Cases like in the OP though.... No excuse, he had his arrest... He just got angry and couldn't control himself, not someone we need on the force.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

iRoyaltyPc Kiddie, who attended the scene alone, told the court that he was trying to search her bag when Ms Reed bit his finger and claimed she had Aids.

As bad as this is, the charge the officer got is decent compared to what others have gotten away with.

If I was bitten by anybody I'd flip out, let alone been told that she had aids and now I may have been in risk of catching it to.

The video is misleading too because there is no audio, you don't know how patient that officer had been, everybody has a tolerance level and the girl saying she had aids obviously made him flip.

150 hours community service when you can only do 6 hours a day, once or twice a week is a good couple of month and suites nice for such an assault given the complete circumstance, in my opinion of course.
edit on 12-3-2014 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2014 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I actually have a lot of sympathy for this particular Policeman. She bit him and then told him she had AIDS so it is not like this was unprovoked Police brutality (which is completely abhorrent). Yes, he shouldn't have punched her three times in the head but this isn't a normal incident (which is more than likely why he got a suspended sentence instead of jail time).

I know for a fact this isn't an isolated incident as i know of similar instances in one large UK city on an estate plagued by smack heads. Every now and again, one will try to stab an officer with a dirty needle - which usually results in being thrown in the back of the van, having the "*~# kicked out of them and then being let out again. The estate in question is one of those places where everyone hates the Police........and yet no one complains when this happens as they think the smack heads had it coming.

It is one thing attacking the Police, quite another threatening to infect them with a life threatening illness. I realise i will probably be flamed for this but so be it......in this particular case i fully back the Police Officer. If she had simply tried resisting arrest, i would be wholly behind him being prosecuted. But she didn't - she took it up by several levels.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

IMO take a snap at me with your teeth after making it clear you have aids and you you've just declared yourself an armed combatant, welcome to the thunder dome B#T@!

if she woulda said i have a grenade in my handbag and shook it around or "i got a gun in this bag" and waved it around she woulda got her head blown off... and with good cause... IMO he showed some restraint.

its a very #ty situation but she declared herself as armed and dangerous when she said she had aids and proceeded to take an aggressive attitude with her teeth. unconventional weapons are still weapons.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
He shouldn't of done it but I can see why he did.
The judge did say that she understood he just flipped but he has to have consequences for it.
I would have done the same to be fair, I once flipped when I found a work mate about to get raped my a patient of mine pulled him off and beat the crap outa him.
Police called suspended and could have done jail time but in the end I got an award.

He was in the wrong definitely but would any of us done differently? when bit and told you have aids now?.
Was he fired btw?.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Flavian

I actually have a lot of sympathy for this particular Policeman. She bit him and then told him she had AIDS so it is not like this was unprovoked Police brutality (which is completely abhorrent).

She didn't actually bite him, he claimed she did.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

A criminal record exempts you from the police force.

He could have handled it better, he had her detained and yet continued to beat her.

As a police officer you must be used to dealing with some nasty stuff and treats on your life, the idea is to remain cool under pressure.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Thats good to know even If I may have done the same thing you are right and coppers are trained to handle this type of stuff much much better.
Who would want to be a copper eh?.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

iRoyalty

Flavian

I actually have a lot of sympathy for this particular Policeman. She bit him and then told him she had AIDS so it is not like this was unprovoked Police brutality (which is completely abhorrent).

She didn't actually bite him, he claimed she did.

Now that is interesting. All the reports i have read stated she did bite him.........if she didn't actually do it then it completely changes the case as it is then a matter of unprovoked Police brutality.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Watch the video, you can see her snap her teeth at him, but definitely no contact. The first contact they have is him grabbing her by the hair.

Eta: I know you have to watch an annoying ad... sorry for the rubbish video link.
edit on 12-3-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

boymonkey74

Thats good to know even If I may have done the same thing you are right and coppers are trained to handle this type of stuff much much better.
Who would want to be a copper eh?.

Damn right, I get enough grief down a phoneline for healthcare... Dealing with direct criminals on a daily basis... Takes a certain type of person, this man was not that type of person.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I am sure I could not have just stood there and watched. Nasty bastard is all I can say!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

If you read the full story you will find he has been the subject of 2 substantiated complaints already.

He was also meant to stand a misconduct trial this month for a discharge of CS gas incident.

www.theguardian.com...

Having been on the receiving end of these sort of "police officers" more times than I care to remember in my youth and reading their statements as to why they beat me down I would say he`s definately a rotten apple and got off very lightly IMO.

It would be easier to make a more formed opinion if the CCTV had audio, and sorry I didn`t see anything that led me to believe she tried to bite his finger.

Just my 2 pennarth.

new topics

top topics

join