It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD respond to reports of building explosion

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
now updated to four alarm fire. smoke is still thick and not dissipating.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Fox just stated, "Four alarm fire, multi alarm dwelling. Residential dwelling, famous piano store, 1646 Park Avenue, 1644, Park Avenue. Densely populated building, raging out of control, fire dept struggling to keep dire in check."
ETA : Do not believe it was terrorism, bomb squad is on location, but believe it was construction related.

Interviewee - debris at Park and Madison.

Interviewee - We thought it was a bomb, but people were working on the building.

Some kids at Frederick Douglas Academy have been let out of school.

edit on 12-3-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

ETA - Metro North service Grand Central terminates at Grand Central North terminal.

One, perhaps two, residential buildings, included.

Local hopsital has recieived one patient, has confirmed they will recieve more.

Gas truck on scene leaving people to think this was a gas explosion. (Even if it was not, they would show up to cut off gas...)

ETA - building in middle (showing before and after pics) was 5-6 stories tall, the building is just gone, it's just melted away.a

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hope everyone is OK, especially the four who have been hospitalized.

It always a gas leak. We get about 3 or 4 pothole/gas line explosions stories a year coming out of NYC. Lots of people and infrastructure.

link   

hounddoghowlie
reply to post by Crakeur

does she live near there, the reports are saying it is a residential building and there are injuries and they think some people trapped.

no, we live well south of the area but my daughter's school is on 96th street. A caller on the news, who lived on 92nd, said the smoke by him was horrific. We called the school to alert them of the incident and found that they hadn't yet heard of it. The woman we spoke with got off in a hurry, hopefully, to ensure that no kids left the grounds for lunch.

link   
reports that it was a construction related accident.
says that they were working on it this morning.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

good to hear, glad she and classmates are safe.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Now reporting 11 injured, Metro North shut down in both directions.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

boymonkey74
Saying a gas leak.

Iam on this feed.

abclocal.go.com...

If so, they won't be able to put it out until they shut off the supply. Hoses are only containing the fire. Beneath the pile there is a flame…

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Yeah 11 injured but I fear many more may be hurt.
Was the building empty? I hope so because a 6 story apartment building may contain many people.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Douglas Fredrickson school has been released. Not sure of spelling, if this is the school. Only one mention in the area, but kids are being sent home now.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Oh God did you see the little boy wrapped in the blanket and the guy running towards the scene stopped by police?.

edit on 12-3-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
fire has been update again , now a five alarm, 39 FDNY units and 168 firefighters on scene

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

no, that's not her school. there are a few schools in the area. I would imagine they'll release the kids in the immediate vicinity but, then again, DiBlasio and his moron chancellor might go on the news to announce that schools will remain open in the area because someone has to feed the kids.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I would get my babies, Deblasio be damned.

I would want them home where I knew they were safe. Glad to know everything is ok atm.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Left over explosives from 9/11?

Hope everyone is ok. Wouldn't think it was a Gas Line or tank one sounding by the size of it!.

Buildings Collapse After Explosion in Uptown Manhatten

A huge explosion rocked an East Harlem building Wednesday morning, causing it to collapse.
Officials confirmed that the blast brought down a building on Park Avenue near the corner of East 116th Street, reducing it to rubble.

Latest Info:

11 minor injuries reported in #EastHarlemExplosion. 1 person hospitalized w/ "heavy trauma." Heavy smoke still coming from 6 story apt bldg—
Marci Gonzalez (@TVMarci) March 12, 2014

No word of any fatalities which is a good sign. Wonder what it was!
edit on 12/3/2014 by stevcolx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

hounddoghowlie
fire has been update again , now a five alarm, 39 FDNY units and 168 firefighters on scene

I'm counting at least five ladder trucks hoses on full. Others are on rooftops around the collapsed structures.

Fire is persistent even under that onslaught. They know its serious. Somewhere workers are trying to turn off the gas feed to that neighborhood.

CNN live (no audio)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
lots of pictures here at the New York Post Page.
Buildings collapse after explosion in uptown Manhattan

updates often.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
foxnews just had a resident of the building, saying that he,his wife, and neighbor smelled gas last night.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
OP's Live Source,
Neighboring building's resident smelt an odor of gas yesterday, as did a neighboring church owner. They are looking into the unconfirmed reports of gas issues in the past.

Sending regards

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Is there construction nearby like the first report said?

reply to post by andy1972

My first thought too. Skittish, anyone?

edit on 3/12/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join