It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love beef jerky but it costs a fortune here in the UK.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

I was looking at the drying technique more than the actual method of marinating or the cuts of meat because someone might have a box fan and bungees laying around. Then it's just a matter of getting filters as part of your costs.

We use a counter top dehydrator when we make our own and we always use different methods of marinating than the one in here.
edit on 12-3-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by Aliquandro

I was looking at the drying technique more than the actual method of marinating or the cuts of meat because someone might have a box fan and bungees laying around. Then it's just a matter of getting filters as part of your costs.

We use a counter top dehydrator when we make our own and we always use different methods of marinating than the one in here.
edit on 12-3-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

Yeah I agree the box fan is clever, but he should mention to maybe shim it up under some bricks (at the corners?) so you get better air flow and can possibly cut down on the 12+ hr dry time (and set in on a table near a heating vent?). I think 12-15 hrs is insane and the warmer air seriously cuts the time down. Also if you cut it thin you will drastically reduce drying time.

But hey, I'm addicted to the gourmet quality I managed to achieve after many trials and errors (even though they were still edible mistakes). But my preference is for thick, chewy and dank meat slathered in rich flavors. The american style jerky is so dry and thin with a basic salty flavor, just doesn't impress me anymore.

Might be time top try out a new flavor recipe soon. Maybe a Malaysian Hoisin BBQ in tribute to the missing plane.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Slim Jims are condoms over there?? LOL
It's like a beef stick. errr bad example too! lol

The price of beef is like the price of lumber; They take all the trees off of whole mountains here, yet, we pay high prices for lumber. I feel your pain

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Here is a great site that compares and reviews some of the best Beef Jerky Dehydrators out there in 2014.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
For a tiny pack with about 15 bits it costs nearly two quid so how do I make my own?
I have seen smokers advertised and has anyone used them?.
Also I wouldn't mind smoking some fish so has anyone got any tips on what smoker, what meat and how to do it?.
Cheers in advance.

not going to read through all the posts but i make jerky at least once a week.

its so easy man. all you need is a dehydrator. i got mine for $40 at k mart i think. it pays for itself after the 2nd use.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1413208431&sr=1-5&keywords=food+deh ydrator

^^^^thats the one i have.

get a chunk of bottom round or london broil. i go for what is on sale. the better cuts dont make any better jerky imo.
cut it into thin strips.
dump the sliced pieces into whatever marinade you want to use.
i use whatever type of sauce i am in the mood for. usually i use generic a-1
lay them out on the trays so they are not touching. turn the dehydrator on.
will be done in 8-15 hours or so depending on how you like it.

a lot of people make their own marinades..they use liquid smoke and cracked pepper.
anything you think will taste good.

most of the people i have known that has made their own jerky would marinate it over night. i dont do mine that way. i dump my sauce into a huge bowl and as i cut the strips i put it in the sauce. when i am done cutting i lay them out.

it has 4 trays and each tray will give you a sandwich baggy full.
keep in mind that you will lose 50% of the weight.
i probably spend about $20 on the meat and sauce each time i make it. i get 4 baggies full each time though and it is the taste and texture i prefer. when i buy it at the store i spend about $1 per ounce.
when i make it i get 4 bags that are about 8 ounces each.
thats $32 if i bought it in the store and mine is better.

go for it man. its awesome. i have my dehydrator going all the time

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
personally i dont like using my oven. i did that before i had a dehydrator and it wasnt really good at all.

the dehydrator is the best bet. you could get pretty creative with your marinades too.

its the best

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Its pretty expensive everywhere. It is fantastic though. I could live off it.

I guess you can try this with a small batch.

Get meat, and make sure its has NO blood and remove all noticeable fat (if you use lamb remove the small glands in legs that are like white pellets). Hang it in a fresh dry place for about 6-8 hours to let any remaining blood drain if necessary.

You then cook it slightly in an oven to remove moisture (use your best judgement, it depends on the cut of meat). DONT COMPLETELY DRY IT. Let the next step work its magic while the moisture leaves and the meat sucks in the flavor...

So the next step is to cover it in olive oil and then bury it in sea salt. It has to be completely buried not just covered in it. Weigh it first because it needs to be in there 1 month per KILO. So if it weighs 3 kilos, it has to be in there for 3 months.

That will make it like Serrano ham (if pork). To JERKY-IZE IT, you cook it slightly with your choice of seasoning once removed from the salt . I would recommend using a LITTLE cinnamon, plenty of pepper and a wide variety if possible. You can use some sauces (steak, BBQ, what ever, teriyaki with a dash of bourbon....ect. It really is up to your imagination.

You can skip the months long salting, BUT why would you be so impatient? If you do skip it just cook in an oven for 4 hours depending on the cut of meat with your seasoning and store in a fresh dry place.

If you follow my recipe you will eat nothing else.

TIPS:
DONT cut the meat too thin or too thick. It will shrink some but if too thick you may not get an even flavor throughout. Remember that with any aging or drying process you will lose some weight.

When you first cook it some to remove moisture DONT dry it completely. You need the moisture to interact with the sea salt. It will be removed and replaced with FLAVOR. When seasoning after the salting process, if you want to know the final flavor of your marinade use some in a pan, cook it, let it cool and taste it. TASTE IT! before you put it on the meat that took months to prepare.

When you marinate it and then cook it the final time, be patient. SLOW cooking, low heat....ect. Let things work their magic. Dont rush the process. The end result can even put you in business. LOL SOOOO good.
OK Enjoy. Thats my super secret recipe for meats.

edit on 10 13 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I tried making my own beef jerky but I ended up destroying it. It was a hideous site. Just awful. I would like to try again but with something that has more natural fat, like bear meat. Maybe this winter I'll get brave and try again.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Some smoked salmon made in big chief smoker, brine is 2 cups brown sugar 1/2 cup salt

use plenty dry brine and watch it pull the liquid right from the meat

Rinse add extra seasonings and smoke use this recipe for jerky too!

Just brined

Smoked and ready to go with beer!

edit on 27-10-2014 by AlaskanDad because: to changed to too

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join