It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kim Jong Un wins 100% support in DPRK’s Parliamentary Election

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Starsandstripes

"sovereignty"?

Is that what you call starving the vast majority of your people?

100% of the vote, freely given. Uh-huh... ...and not one person even goofed on their ballot? 'course, when there's only one name on the ballot, it's hard to make a mistake...

What was the turnout? What percentage of the population actually voted? If you say one hundred percent, you've forfeited any chance of me believing a word you ever write here again.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

Indeed, only the "Elite" can get on the Web and even then, it is more of an intranet than an internet.

reply to post by CharlieSpeirs

It's an exceedingly quiet day at work!

It is a genuinely horrific regime there, makes Saddam look like a girl guide. I'm all for sovereign countries dealing with their own affairs etc, but sometimes I think the World should act over some things and this is a good example.

I really wouldn't object to a touch of "shock and awe" and some "regime change" over there at all. Problem is, the people have been so subjugated and brainwashed, they'd probably fight to the last to protect it.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Skyfloating

Starsandstripes
I am not a Communist...

One thing is for sure, you're likely not a regular North Korean, as they don't have Internet.

Oh???? Realy????

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Is that like the apple computers they have?

Linky

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
What i do find interesting when looking at North Korea and its elections, is the way in which everything is controlled. It makes me contemplate how something similar could actually take place in a Western state, albeit, probably not to the same extent.

Obviously, we live in a freer society, but we too, are a community engulfed with corrupt politics and crooked media. It isn't so far fetched to speculate that someone, somewhere, is having a similar influence on say, Western elections, much in the same way Kim Jong-Un and co are having in North Korea...

North Koreans used to have an illusion of choice in previous elections. Ballots had numerous officers running for election, but it was always believed that it didn't matter, as the national party would choose members anyway...

I know it sounds crazy, but it wouldn't surprise me if similar crap could take place over here.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

What you have done there is link a video purporting to show stuff, but neglected to inform us where it was filmed or why.

Now, looking at the picture, one can assume this is in Pyongyang. People who live there are a world apart from the rest of the country, generally being made up of people close to the regime and are given certain privileges that the vast majority could only dream of, if they even knew of computers! You are of course aware they have fried chicken shops (because Kim loves his KFC) in the capital while the rest of the nation lives on subsistence farming?

There is also the question of it being staged for the benefit of the camera's - again, not unheard of.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

link   
reply to post by stumason

If ever there'd be a case of Stockholm Syndrome, the DPRK is it.

Generations of brainwashed people, many of whom are convinced that the Kims were/are God on Earth is a horrifying prospect to have to try and deal with...

Stuff of nightmares, really.

link   
I understand that the only people who have access to the unfiltered internet are North Korean teachers, Postgraduate students and elites. Everyone else who is lucky enough to even lay hands on a computer, gets the intranet, if at all. With that said, all activity is monitored, obviously...
edit on 12-3-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

iRoyalty

stumason
In the DPRK, TV's (if you're lucky to have one) and Radio's come pre-tuned to fixed stations and trying to tune in to another or even tampering with them is a "serious offence" (see Labour camps above). In the West, our TV's can be tuned to whatever we please. In fact, if I live close enough to France, I can happily tune in to French TV if I so wish. Try to do that in DPRK with SK TV and you'll be shot.

You're also forgetting the internet!

We can watch ANYTHING on the internet. Posting on this site would get you shot, which is why it's obvious the OP isn't in NK.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

You also forget that all media leaving the country is thoroughly CONTROLLED. They make us see what they want us to see, because they think they can control the rest of the world too.

Those shops we see that are full of food, with lots of happy shoppers. All staged, there is secret camera footage of someone going into one of these places, asking to buy things and being told that nothing is for sale.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

There is more than a little truth to that.

However, as I'm sure you'll agree, we can do something about it. We are allowed to do something about it, our problem is we won't... There, they can't, unless they're ready to, in all likelihood, die in the attempt.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

seagull
reply to post by daaskapital

There is more than a little truth to that.

However, as I'm sure you'll agree, we can do something about it. We are allowed to do something about it, our problem is we won't... There, they can't, unless they're ready to, in all likelihood, die in the attempt.

Yes, i definitely agree.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Is Diebold responsible?

Pun aside, it's fixed, if it wasn't they would scramble to vote in fear of certain death. *snip snip snip*

Starsandstripes

iRoyalty

stumason
In the DPRK, TV's (if you're lucky to have one) and Radio's come pre-tuned to fixed stations and trying to tune in to another or even tampering with them is a "serious offence" (see Labour camps above). In the West, our TV's can be tuned to whatever we please. In fact, if I live close enough to France, I can happily tune in to French TV if I so wish. Try to do that in DPRK with SK TV and you'll be shot.

You're also forgetting the internet!

We can watch ANYTHING on the internet. Posting on this site would get you shot, which is why it's obvious the OP isn't in NK.

Intranet NOT internet.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
StarsandStipes,

If you are actually serious about this, i don't know what to say. I've never visited North Korea, but i think it is pretty obvious that the people there aren't as free as you are claiming them to be.

You can't support the people by supporting their 'government'. I maintain hope that Kim Jong-Un will have change of heart, what with his purging of officials. But i just think he is ensuring his own survival on the regime's ladder. No, the regime has to go for the people to be truly free, but even then, it will take a lot to bring them back down to reality.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

one of the better days then

No doubt a change might make them more tolerable to the rest...
Until there is a global attack it's quite hard to say who'd have the right to do so!!!

Right now it'd probably be China's job... Even then they seem happy to let things flow, so long as NK doesn't get too aggressive outside of their borders!!!

Political ideology differs across the board...
I'm certain that if this went from political difference to an abundance of humanitarian issues the UN would be entitled to interfere!

Peace!

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'm a "sovereigntist" too, in that I believe North Korea's sovereignty should be violated by a massive international military force, the North Korean military should be decimated where it stands, and the entire Kim family and all their dronelike enforcers should be publicly executed for their crimes against humanity.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
snip]
edit on 12-3-2014 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Nolimits
I'm a "sovereigntist" too, in that I believe North Korea's sovereignty should be violated by a massive international military force, the North Korean military should be decimated where it stands, and the entire Kim family and all their dronelike enforcers should be publicly executed for their crimes against humanity.

That's easier said than done. I don't think North Korea will be a push over. Even if we did invade their country, and manage to get a foothold, their military is going to fight to the very end...That, and the facts that they have nukes...and China...

new topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join