It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana's longest-serving death row prisoner walks free after 30 years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Kryties

Every time i hear someone say, "Our justice system isn't perfect, but its the best there is" i want to puke.

And don't forget where the justice system starts...with the arresting officer; it's our word against theirs and our word means nothing unless you can afford a high priced attorney.

Justice for the wealthy and the rest of us are SOL.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I am disgusted by lack of compensation.
Same with remand.
If you spend time behind bars for a crime you didnt do, be it on remand or as a conviction then you should get compensation.
and the people who put you there should take your place

and the people who put you there should take your place
edit on Wedam3b20143America/Chicago32 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
OH MAN...I would sue the s#it out of the justice system! Im talkin' millions! Im sure he would win too.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

olaru12

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Kryties

Every time i hear someone say, "Our justice system isn't perfect, but its the best there is" i want to puke.

And don't forget where the justice system starts...with the arresting officer; it's our word against theirs and our word means nothing unless you can afford a high priced attorney.

Justice for the wealthy and the rest of us are SOL.

^ quoting for truth.

If you're non-white person or a poor white person, expect to be convicted of the murder of Abraham Lincoln if it came down to it.

Derek

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I live right south of the Fl/Ga line. Used to party with some of the band. Raiford is a state prison not too far away. Hearing that song brought back a lot of memories. Good Stuff!

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Seeing stories like this break my heart, and scare the hell out of me. That could have easily been me locked up for something I didn't do, I was lucky. Wasn't murder, but at 19 was facing 25 years, I would still be there now probably, I wouldn't be the kind to get early parole, I would have gone insane in the cage I think. Jail was bad enough, prison would have put me over the deep end.

It must be great getting out after all that time, but damn, youth was wasted spent in a cage meant for someone else. I would be bitter as hell. I always see these people getting out and think wow, they seem to be handling it way better than I would have. I would be out for bloody revenge.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
This is just awesome, so glad he's out!
There is nothing more disgraceful in a modern civilized society than the state murdering people in the name of justice.
I can't even imagine, even begin to imagine what this guy has been through and how one would pick themselves up and build a life after 30 years.
edit on 14-3-2014 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
30 years up his arse, most on death row, and then this man walks.
I'd be seriously annoyed.
Yet he seemed to be remarkably understanding - I guess he's just grateful to be alive and now free.

I read somewhere that he was going to be offered $190,000 compensation.
Seems like a bit of an insult to me considering some of the mega compensation deals that get reported from the USA.

Without even considering the moral arguments this is a perfect example why capital punishment is simply wrong.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I'm in the same boat, accused and convicted of a crime I didnt do, spent time in prison, life destroyed. It changes your life FOREVER.
Trust me, the feeling NEVER goes away, knowing people look at you like your subhuman, no job will hire you when before you had an impeccable work record, and ZERO criminal history.
Why? because I didnt have the money to keep paying a lawyer.
It sucks, you only get as much justice as you can afford in this country.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join