It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit Stalking Me

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

This thing is making me feel like a monkey! More and more sites are including these floating side tags that adjusts to center with each scroll, assuring it remains at eye level constantly. It is like a person holding a note trying to force me to see it no matter what I do, which does sound funny but a pain nonetheless. I would understand maybe if it was an advertisement for a product, which would still bug me but I realize the spirit of capitalism and such. This tag however is for social networks.

Okay I get it, you want our attention, but must you construct cyberneurolinguistic programming to so deeply etch your icons into our psyche that our future thoughts will be watermarked by your logo?
I can only imagine the future of aggressive technological marketing, with a public that grows weary of such in your face marketing. Yes I acknowledge the value of marketing, but imo there are lines that should not be crossed, and designing a dangling logo to stay in your face while surfing might be one in my book. Put the tag fixed at the top and bottom if ya like, but not floating.

Git ur cyber voodoo off meh!
edit on 12-3-2014 by speculativeoptimist because: I had to insert old school emoticon yo!

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I am with you on this one!! I wonder if the folks monitoring page statistics notice that I close the page as soon as the 'stalking' starts.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Sometimes I feel like a dinosaur because I don't Tweet, or Facebook,
or IM....hell I don't even text msg.

I don't know if it's because I'm wary, or that I just like to be different,
or maybe I could be a full blown paranoid conspiracy theorist. It's just
that when I see EVERYBODY going one way, I have to go the other.

Anyway, those social networking icons are getting out of hand. I do
see it as a manipulation and control device...maybe not RIGHT NOW, but
definitely someday in the near future.

I visited one site recently, just looking for some information
about a medical condition, and I could ALMOST see the info I needed
thru the banner which DEMANDED I sign in with Facebook. And that was it.
You either sign in with FB, share, tweet, like, thumbs up...or you don't
get to see the page.

So I didn't get to see the page...ligaf...kmafb
edit on 12-3-2014 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I am proud to say that I don't recognize 2 of those buttons.

If anyone believes in LOA they should walk around saying "Social media is dead" to everyone. That would help.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

I see those and think, "yeah....I BET you want to know my reddit/facebook/twitter/google+(forced to have it, thanks google
)." I don't think I've had so much interest into all about me since I had that crazy stalker who built a shrine to me in his basement. Hrmmm, come to think of it, maybe they do build shrines to us in their corporate basements...

They call those shrines "The Server Room".

I close the link, too. Like hell I'm going to click one of those. I also log out of any and everything when I'm doing casual browsing because I'm quite certain that if I have facebook open and logged in on one tab, they know what I'm doing on all the others. Maybe that's slightly paranoid but you never know. Really, you'll never know at least until the next whistleblower, lol.

reply to post by rival

Never give up, never surrender!!! Kudos to you for not taking the bait. I never do either and I do have those things. I just find another site.

edit on 12/3/14 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I hear you OP and I agree.
In fact many sites I visit are no longer visited If they have that thing it always gets in the ruddy way.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Agreed. "Heres all the approved places for you to share your opinion" (insert alarm bells).

Googling a couple key words pings a zillion hits .

Now, if only they can invent a Tv that self mutes when commercials come on.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I got a tip.
If I watch telly (not often) I record the channel 15 mins before it starts and start watching it 15 mins after the show has started so when the ads come up I can fast forward them

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I record the channel 15 mins before it starts and start watching it 15 mins after the show has started so when the ads come up I can fast forward them.

Good idea. For me though its like I am "missing out"… in the back of my mind I entertain the notion that tv is "live" (which it isn't) and it goes against some mysterious grain to record things and watch them "later". Everyone else is in a different time zone.

Plus I am a product of the modern age, I can't plan anything that far ahead.

Usually I am a channel switcher. Science and history stuff are my forte. A remote is always "handy" for me to quick mute and quick change.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I would actually pay money not to have ads on telly....wait I already do with the BBC lol but they just have ads for their own stuff grrrr.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I would actually pay money not to have ads on telly….wait I already do with the BBC lol…

Same here with Cable.

When "Cable TV" first came out it was commercial free (thats why you paid for the service). Now we pay for the ads, too.

double-grrr

My saving grace is I can disconnect my mind from the TV while it is on regardless of ads or not. Some people can't do that and actually get offended when you speak while the TV is on. They are that pulled in by the magic light box. it is more real to them than the people in the room.

Sorry about off topic, OP. Done here…

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You know, if the ad companies would just hire out their ad executives to go out to people's houses in real time, interrupt their television viewing experience, and ask them annoying questions, I bet the American people could get a bunch of new, really entertaining court cases to watch on television.

"And then you shot him thirty six times?"

"Yessir.. Up until the last bullet, he kept trying to sell me bullets, batteries, women's shoes, hairnets, those disgusting orange marshmellow peanuts. And on every one of those, he kept trying to push an extended warranty.. And gall-damn it, a warranty on the warranty. I felt in danger for my lives and sanities, and the lives of my family."

"NOT GUILTY."

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

intrptr
Agreed. "Heres all the approved places for you to share your opinion" (insert alarm bells).

Indeed!

And, I see one of those at least that is not much more
than a propaganda outlet.

Cheers to you Spec!
S%F

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

There are add ons for your browser that block those , I don't see them

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

gortex

There are add ons for your browser that block those , I don't see them

Remember, DON'T use ADBLOCK, or any other ad blocker on ats that you can find via every browser plug in page...

As its a TOS Violation to advocate such I believe.

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I wonder too,but they are probably operated by robots instead of folks and I hear robots have no sympathy for marketing disdain amongst us flesh bags. haha
reply to post by rival

I do none of those either, which just adds to the frustration! It is almost like these tags are a bargaining chi, as you say, to actually see an entire article sometimes. We are not rats in cages,just monkeys in the matrix, let us live our illusion as we please, please!
reply to post by WhiteAlice

And those shrines are built from our every keystroke these days, but it is in our best interest cuz we need more consumer products in our lives and should be talking about them on social networks. Sorry, I do not wish to participate in these marketing games.
I am constantly logging out of sites too, just to avoid being so connected.
reply to post by gortex

Thanks gortex, could you pm me with the suggestion, thx.

Thanks for all the replies and I guess I hit a nerve that runs through many of us. No one wants to be treated like a child and forced to take their medicine, especially medicine that only serves to heal the industry by gaining more participants, blah!

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I understand that but they are configurable (and I do configure mine) on a site by site basis so analytics, advertising and such are allowed on ATS but not the rest of the web, I believe that is OK and also my right as a free web user.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

use noscript addon in ff (noscript.net... ) or notscript in opera

you allow script from first level sites (options menu)

then you make sure to disallow addthis.com

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I was being fictitious, as being able to chose what ads one sees should be a non issue and having to be forced to view them is down right silly.

Yet there it is in TOS.
edit on 12-3-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join