It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstellar travel impossible, therefore...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

amkia

UltraverseMaximus

amkia
reply to post by eezveeneetee

Yup…

Just 120 years ago all scientist was agreed that human cannot drive a vehicle speeding more than 70 km pr. hour since the air pressure will suffocating the driver.

What is impossible yesterday is possible now…Time and innovation will change everything.

Yeah like the creation of the "god box", a computer that scans the internet and works out probability based on data input from the masses. Its pretty cool but makes some stupid stuff up lol. Yeah so this little marvel puts together anything if you ask it a question right. Tells you where humanity came from what the religions are. Everything really.

The question is, do you think this exists right now

Sounds like chatbot to me.

Yeah same thing haha.
Here is an idea though to contribute something meaningful to the thread.
If a Sun produces light at the source, and moves, is it not traveling outside the rules for FTL experience? I am pretty sure the Sun has crossed interstellar boundaries in its existence. I am no scientist, perhaps we could Phage one for clarification

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by UltraverseMaximus

This God Box sound like some kind of Forum

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Whatever the hell a stellar boundary is, the Sun has never crossed its stellar boundaries.
The Sun is always in bounds.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

ZeroFurrbone

This God Box sound like some kind of Forum

A collective forum yes. Assimilated mass data with artificial intelligent algorithms and emotional language interpretation capabilities.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Phage

Whatever the hell a stellar boundary is, the Sun has never crossed its stellar boundaries.
The Sun is always in bounds.

I kind of made that word up. There is no boundaries or we would hit something I think. Like a wall.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Interstellar travel IS possible.

The fact that light speed limits conventional travel plus our concepts such as distance/time are irrelevant when you can "bend" space-time.

This is not SciFi, it's FACT that the space-time continuum can be manipulated with magnetic/gravitational fields.

A hypothetical space ship/UFO with an interstellar drive would simply laugh at concepts like "distance" or the fact that it would be extremely, uhm, "problematic" to bring a ship made from matter close-to (let alone have it exceed) light speed.

You show VERY limited fantasy and creativity if you assume that interstellar travel would require "conventional" travel of an object at or near light speed. Will NEVER happen since physics limits us.

Interstellar travel happens by means of special propulsion which can directly manipulate ("pull") space/time, NOT by "object moving from point A to B at speed X, therefore it needs Y years to traverse this distance". Hypothetical alien civilizations are obviously technologically so advanced that they mastered HOW to manipulate space/time.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   

NoRulesAllowed

Hypothetical alien civilizations are obviously technologically so advanced that they mastered HOW to manipulate space/time.

I can do this too. I am not advanced or anything. Just a thinker

But you would be correct, consciousness can travel without limitations as far as I am aware. Maybe said 'aliens' will come and smack me one day for manipulating the earths akashik records.

Maybe they will give me a Nobel peace price. Who knows really time will tell

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Original Poster: Your thesis consists of massive amounts of fail sauce because GIGO. Garbage In Garbage Out. you think it requires fringe science to get there. It does not.

Interstellar Travel is definitely possible as it does not Require FTL. Speeds that are necessary based on human lifespan are achievable with foreseeable technology such as Fusion drives and VASIMR or M2P2 or even atomic drives such as orion/daedalus or NTR rockets.

as an example the nearest star Alpha Proxima is 4.23 light years away. at ten percent C that trip would take 40 years. i doubt anyone would say that that is an insurmountable challenge (unless they are a science wussy.)

however one must not assume that limitations of lifespan apply to other sentient beings or that something like torpor inducing infusions of gases such as proposed at the NAIC conference will not be created. NAIC is a NASA sponsored Advanced Concepts conference used to identify enabling technology and concepts for advanced propulsion, life support and other details of future spacecraft.

nor are all forms of FTL forbidden by Physics. people that think this is the case are simply not very well educated on relativity and other branches of physics. relativity does make it hard to do but the very solutions that get around this are inherent in relativity as well. so if the skeptic lives by relativity then they shall die by it as well.

edit on 12-3-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Phage

Like this?
en.wikipedia.org...

Woah I am going to have to read that book.
That looks interesting bro. I knew if I paged someone new thoughts would arise.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Spoiler alert:
The story is a bummer.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Phage

Spoiler alert:
The story is a bummer.

Least its a short story even if it is just a fart

The idea is in my head now I might write a story based on the concept though. Yes, nah too hard lol

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I'll put it another way: Voyager has been sailing for 36 years. if Voyager were heading to alpha proxima and was travelling at ten percent C it would be about 7 years out from that star.

if voyager's RTG power source would hold out the team that is monitoring it would definitely still be doing their job seven years from now. so there is no question that a space science project can go on for long enough for a probe or manned craft to get to a nearby star.

and if it were going at .2 C? it would have been there over a decade ago.

fusion tops out at about .36 C.

do the math.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by stormbringer1701

That's what we can do now but it's not very exciting. Even light speed is nowhere near fast enough to get very far in the universe.

When we look at the size of the universe it makes you realize how slow the speed of light is compared to it. It is a snail's pace compared to the massive distances.

We need starship Enterprise with warp drive. Set course for Sigma Delta 5, warp 6 engage. We'll be there in 4 hours sir. Maybe in 300 years I think we'll have it. A few more LHCs. Maybe genetically engineered super geniuses could work it out. Aliens do it all the time so how hard can it be? lol.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

eezveeneetee
The subject line states my premise. SINCE interstellar travel is impossible, the so-called ET theory is invalid. And your promotion of the ET theory has been central to the UFO "phenomenon" for decades now. You have been foundational in promulgating an entire culture of UFO hysterics. Therefore, you are either sincerely misled, delusional, or an operative in the largest, and most successful PSY-OP in history. You don't strike me as deluding yourself, or mentally imbalanced. So I'll ask, or rather suggest a possible explanation of who Stanton Friedman is, in part. Are you, or have you been, an employee or a contractor of a U.S. government intelligence agency?
It makes a whole lot of sense that you are very possibly a big player in perpetuating a very useful hoax that the government can benefit from: a sensational idea that the wishful would follow like lemmings, and serve to distract the public from various programs they prefer to be hidden. Assuming my theory is correct, the UFO disinformation program has been enormously successful. ET's arriving to our solar locale is an impossible feat. So, Dr. Friedman...are your checks from the government direct-deposited?

You can't just tell us it's impossible without even backing up your claims.

This is a lame effort.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

JimTSpock

That's what we can do now but it's not very exciting. Even light speed is nowhere near fast enough to get very far in the universe.

When we look at the size of the universe it makes you realize how slow the speed of light is compared to it. It is a snail's pace compared to the massive distances.

We need starship Enterprise with warp drive. Set course for Sigma Delta 5, warp 6 engage. We'll be there in 4 hours sir. Maybe in 300 years I think we'll have it. A few more LHCs. Maybe genetically engineered super geniuses could work it out. Aliens do it all the time so how hard can it be? lol.

So Spock, Why would aliens come to earth if they are advanced?
If you say resources I really cant see how an advanced civilisation would run out unless they were on the opposite side to life, the only resource worth a damn if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   

JimTSpock

I think it's a lot closer than 300 years. once proof of concept detection of artificial warps are done and verified research will pick up the pace. and warps are not the only way to do FTL either. some of them allow almost instant travel.

Woodward's wormholes for example. the big problem is grabbing a wormhole after that (believe it or not) they have everything else pretty much worked out. you'd think steering the ends would be hard. apparently it pretty darned easy. you'd think negative energy or mass would be hard to get. apparently not if you have access to a wormhole. it renders it easy to produce cosmic levels of it. But getting one is the hard part. and yeah, i mean even though there are trillions of them in every cubic meter at the quantum level. a way has to be worked out to grab one and know that you have it and be able to locate the openings.

and both of these are allowed by relativity. science luddites are hoping quantum gravity (whenever the theory is revealed to us) forbids the traversible wormholes. just because- "wormholes? damn!" is their attitude.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Scientific research and exploration? To observe evolutionary biology on this planet perhaps. And correct with such advanced technology they would have no need for any 'resource' found on this planet. Also maybe because they can. If we had such technology would we not explore?

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   

eezveeneetee
The subject line states my premise. SINCE interstellar travel is impossible, the so-called ET theory is invalid. And your promotion of the ET theory has been central to the UFO "phenomenon" for decades now. You have been foundational in promulgating an entire culture of UFO hysterics. Therefore, you are either sincerely misled, delusional, or an operative in the largest, and most successful PSY-OP in history. You don't strike me as deluding yourself, or mentally imbalanced. So I'll ask, or rather suggest a possible explanation of who Stanton Friedman is, in part. Are you, or have you been, an employee or a contractor of a U.S. government intelligence agency?
It makes a whole lot of sense that you are very possibly a big player in perpetuating a very useful hoax that the government can benefit from: a sensational idea that the wishful would follow like lemmings, and serve to distract the public from various programs they prefer to be hidden. Assuming my theory is correct, the UFO disinformation program has been enormously successful. ET's arriving to our solar locale is an impossible feat. So, Dr. Friedman...are your checks from the government direct-deposited?

200 years ago human flight was impossible. Preposterous even. Yet here we are, typing on an interconnected web of energized electrons talking about an airplane disappearing with 20 engineers that work on cloaking amongst other things.

Time was a straight line until Einstein showed that it wasn't.

I think your grasp on what is possible is particularly limited.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

JimTSpock

Scientific research and exploration? To observe evolutionary biology on this planet perhaps. And correct with such advanced technology they would have no need for any 'resource' found on this planet. Also maybe because they can. If we had such technology would we not explore?

But if they are advanced enough to travel here without destroying themselves in the process, one has to question what research they did not do on their planet. Exploring I can understand that. It would be my motive also. Curious cat and all.
If they think they can come here and "correct" any biology that should be a serious concern for us. Correct what exactly it kind of puts the ego above creation. They surly did not create themselves lol

The human heart is a source of power. An advanced civilisation may have found out how to harvest the energy and transfer it something tangible that can be exploited to create more things, you know cause to advance they are going to need things, and things need to be powered by something, weather it be just consciousness.

I think humans would explore if we could. We would also interfere because we can. Any civilisation that has advanced to AI and is able to manipulate space/time would likely be devastating to come across. Humans might want to consider this before going out exploring the vacuum lol

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join