It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First-ever Image of Meteorite hitting Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

The chances of anyone ever capturing a Meteorite impact are literallly a million to one yet, Wayne Pryde, who teaches at Charles Darwin University, might just have caught one.

Interestingly the meteorite is more than likely the size of a grain of sand and traveling at 30,000 Km/H.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
holy crud, good find

thats amazing

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Wow, not only are the chances for capturing a photograph of a meteorite very very slim, but the meteorite hit the top of a lamp post when it reached earth. Crazy!

E_T

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
Interestingly the meteorite is more than likely the size of a grain of sand and traveling at 30,000 Km/H.
Wrong, objects smaller than few meter sized are slowed down by atmosphere so they drop like a throwed stone.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
Wrong, objects smaller than few meter sized are slowed down by atmosphere so they drop like a throwed stone.

I don't know you may be right but thats what the article said.

The meteorite, which could have been as small as a grain of sand, would have been travelling about 30,000km/h.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Awesom stuff! I like this image (one of many now) of a sonic boom created too! I read that in order to capture the image, the photographer had to be in another jet, travelling at the same speed!
www.anomalies-unlimited.com...

[edit on 24-11-2004 by instar]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Wow, that's pretty wild. I remeber two years ago when I was at the beach I saw a meteorite, out of the corner of my eye, that seemed to come straight down and hit the water about twenty yards off shore. I just dismissed it off as a bottle rocket or some sort of fire works because it really didn't cause that much of a splash and I wasn't looking right at it. Now, this story makes me wonder.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thats a greta find! I feel sorry for the guy though, he has no chance of ever winning the lottery now, that was his one one in a billion moment.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
That pic was absolutely great. Something like that happen to me. At the beach I also saw a meteorite hit. Alas I didn't get to get a picture of it though.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
E_T took the words out of my mouth. terminal velocity. thats why that guy who jumped out of a balloon from 20 miles up could use a parachute to stop. he gained speed as het hit terminal velocity, and eventually slowed do to drag. although, im sure the fact that it would have started off bigger and faster would have something to do with it. maybe they meant earlier?

anyway, AMAZING picture. really it is. i think millions to one is too good. billions does it much more justice.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by instar
Awesom stuff! I like this image (one of many now) of a sonic boom created too! I read that in order to capture the image, the photographer had to be in another jet, travelling at the same speed!
www.anomalies-unlimited.com...
[edit on 24-11-2004 by instar]

As has being said in MANY threads, that is NOT from a sonic boom.

new topics

top topics

join